1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Podcast: Episode 191 - 28th August 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 27, 2017.

Tags:

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,728
      This week:

00:01:17 – Phil and Ed get excited about the return of Air Crash Investigation
      00:04:30 – Current competitions
      00:05:31 – Nakamichi announce two DTS:X soundbars
      00:14:40 – Phil reviews the Samsung HW-MS650 soundbar
      00:26:00 – Mark gives us all the news from Gamescom
      00:31:34 – Do portable music players have a future in the age of smartphones?
      00:44:40 – Steve reviews The Dark Tower
      00:50:05 – Films opening on Friday – Terminator 2 and The Limehouse Golem
      00:57:33 – Blu-rays released this week – Unlocked, Batman & Harley Quinn, Silver Dream Racer and Gotham Season 3
      00:59:04 – Ultra HD Blu-ray round-up
      01:05:15 – The team get nostalgic about the glory days of LaserDisc
      01:27:51 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:29:07 | File Size: 112mb | Direct Link

2. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,003
      Bloody hell 90mims of you guys! Nice.

No sarcasm btw, looking forward to this.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. Chagerich

Chagerich
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Any Sony Z9E ifa 2017 rumors?

4. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Assistant Editor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,356
      No but we'll be covering IFA in full in the next podcast.

5. CJT-80

CJT-80

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20
      Ed I still use a Portable Audio Player, in the car (via a 3.5mm cable) and keep the phone connected via BlueTooth. Why? If I use a PAP/DAP my phone battery is not affected! :)

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +245
      I have a Nakamichi CR7E which was state-of-the art many Moons ago, but I can't find any of my cassettes to play on it ! Bummer. ( Azimuth head adjustment, Dolby C and all ! ) Minidisc is still my preferred method of recording audio now, though. Old Skool Rools !

7. norliss

norliss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +182
      Superb podcast, fellas: I really enjoyed the trip down format-memory lane! You're spot-on: Laserdisc may have been a niche everywhere (other than Japan) but it paved the way for what was to follow.

There were a number of VCRs that were able to replay NTSC format cassettes (I had a Panasonic model from 1990 that could do so) and they output PAL60 i.e. 60Hz PAL, although many TVs couldn't handle the 60Hz signal. To get genuine NTSC output you'd have probably needed an imported (or Pro) machine but you'd have done well to find a TV that could accept a pure NTSC 3.58Mhz input then - we weren't in a multi-standard world then! In any case, there was no internet from which to acquire content: you were restricted to physically buying and bringing them back from USA. My collection of NTSC VHS ran to about... 3 :)

At the risk of sounding like Admiral P.E. Dant of the SS Anal, though, I think you've been guilty of some collective cheating of the memory....

Laserdisc and original aspect ratio films didn't go hand-in-hand: 80s Laserdiscs were panned & scanned/ cropped to 4:3 as were VHS/Beta (I had a number of them). It wasn't until the 90s that you began to get OAR films as indeed you started to do with VHS (up to a point). I think it was just that Laserdisc being an enthusiasts format meant that it became the default rather than more of a novelty with VHS.

Also, Phil - whilst availability of certain films 'proscribed' in the UK was part of the appeal of the format, to say that "all the video nasties were available" is stretching things a bit. Only a relatively small number (some of the better-known titles) from the famed "DPP 72" ever made it to Laserdisc.

You still haven't mentioned LoveFilm closing down, either :D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    8. Grumpyrocker

Grumpyrocker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +85
      I still own a couple of portable players - a Sansa Clip+ (with Rockbox running on it) and a Cowon J3. But the truth is I down use them very much. The Sansa is handy when I want to do something like exercise with a small device rather than a phone. But despite having audiophile tendencies, sound quality is important to me, the reality is that on the move out and about in public Google Music is good enough. I no longer feel the need to find a device to carry my FLAC collection around with me.

Meanwhile on the subject of UHD. Seems we're slipping back into the bad old days of Laser Disk/DVDs - where we'd have to wait an age for UK releases. I've recently bought US versions of Dredd and The Fifth Element as there are no signs of the the 4K releases coming to these shores.

I enjoyed the reminiscence of the old days of Laser Disk. I didn't buy into the format, but I was an early adopter of DVD and modding my player to play Region 1. I remember the days of travelling to visit shops to buy imported DVDs - there was a great shop in stoke that did import DVD and video games.

I've no wish to go back to those days though and we're now in the silly situation where even digital releases aren't keeping up with each other. In recent years the DVD situation got much better and I remember not really needing to import later DVD releases and never with a blu-ray release. But here we are now doing it all over again. Many UHD releases not getting a date over here and even digital releases being staggered.

I had a 28" CRT widescreen TV until 2007 - when I bought my first 32" HD set. The number of lines I was getting on the CRT with a 2.35:1 movie must have been appalling. I was a widescreen purchaser of VHS from my teens though - much to the annoyance of my confused dad "they've cut bits off the film". My DVD copy of Lethal Weapon was one of those horrible flippers with widescreen on one side and pan & scan on the other. And you could guarantee you'd always put it the wrong way up in the player.

9. norliss

norliss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +182
      With all my rambling about Laserdisc/NTSC VHS I forgot to mention music players :laugh:

I think there are numerous advantages of a dedicated DAP: capacity, battery life and sound quality. Yes, you can connect DACs to phones and get superb quality but arguably that's just as enthusiast-orientated as a dedicated DAP.

I have a Sony NW-ZX100 with 128GB internal and an additional 128GB microSD card: even using virtually all FLAC (and some HiRes FLAC) I can carry a shed-load of music and most likely way more than I could fit on most phones. I can use it for an age before needing to recharge too, unlike a phone. I also wouldn't be in the scenario Phil mentioned where no internet access = no music (unless you've had the foresight to download a bunch of stuff first).

That said, DAPs do have their downsides. In the main, they don't have the same functionality as mobile phones so most of them can't connect to streaming services etc. Also, unless you are comparing to a phone+DAC combo, they are also an additional device to carry. As with so many things these days (see soundbars) for most people phone+earphones/headphones is plenty 'good enough' for which reason, I'd agree with your hypothesis of DAPs being a dying product - for the mainstream, anyhow. Then again, look at the growth of high-end DAPs in recent years (see Astell & Kern) so perhaps this is another example of the market splitting off between 'mass' and 'enthusiast'?

P.S. Phil - I don't think 'most people' have two streaming subscriptions on the go, any more than most people have nannies or a holiday home in Tuscany :D I'd say a good number of people have a subscription to a streaming service (probably Spotify) and even then, there's still plenty of stuff you can't get on them but your personal music taste will determine how much of a factor that is....

10. Alpha One Seven

Alpha One Seven

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +66
      No sarcasm, wink wink.

11. Habanero

Habanero

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +395
      I'm also an audio Luddite having bought an iPod Touch a few months ago when rumours that Apple was going to stop production started. This turned out to be true for the Shuffle an Nano as you said. Up until that point I'd been using an aging iPod Video and still prefer the simplicity compared to the Touch, though battery life was beginning to fail.

My wife still uses a little Shuffle at the gym. I'm not sure how it could be replaced by her iPhone 6 Plus!

I don't use any streaming service at all, and still buy CDs. I don't own a personal mobile phone and my work provided one often runs to a flat battery without me noticing.

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +907
      my iPod nano and Sansa clip have been gathering dust for a while now, I think gadgets that only do one thing are just too limiting when a phone can pretty much do everything now especially when out and about.

What really clinched it for me was the move to a Bluetooth headset which basically means that holding the phone is no longer an issue, I can listen to music,podcasts, and take calls without any hassle

Excellent podcast as usual, nice trip down memory lane

13. barry7767

barry7767

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +356
      Loved the nostalgia chaps, especially the CED and cut Back to the Future chat. My prized possession is my Back to the Future CED, must get it framed and on the wall one day. No idea if it's got the swearing in though! IMG_20150829_124927.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    14. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +621
      Great extra long memory down the lane poddy guys, LT still listening in America. By the way how about Elcaset by Sony and others plus of course Super VHS which I had. ;)

15. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +907
      Weren't video CD's also touted at one time?

16. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Assistant Editor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,356
      Yes but the picture quality was appalling with serious macro blocking.

17. gadget man

gadget man

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +44
      I am a proud owner of the Panasonic CLD-D925 and will never sell my Laser disc of Terminator 2 which came in a leather slipcase,What a beautiful package. I remember at the time was gutted when DVD came out having spent so much money on LD. My friends had no idea about LD in fact used to take the mickey out of me,without LD we would not be where we are today. I have the boxsets of The Abyss,Aliens and the excitement of watching True Lies in AC-3 Dolby Digital (i bought a digital decoder to my Yamaha setup just for that film) an amazing upgrade from pro-logic.

Look where we are today, i have movies on a NAS box streamed to my plasma TV (no 4k until HDR settles down) or projector with Atmos Sound (Upfiring so fake) great time for a movie lover.

18. Ellisdj

Ellisdj

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +504
      One bit of the podcast is complaining UHD discs are 25+ notes a pop,
      Then the next bit is how much I spent on laser discs when it was the best format out there ...

Have times changed or just opinions on paying for the premium quality

19. cooperda

cooperda

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +119
      Another great podcast guys - thank you.
      You mentioned the smaller Video CD & CDi - another great thing that the photograhy fans here might remember was Kodak's Photo CD (and there was a Photo CD Professional as well I think) - you would take your 35mm film(s) in to be processed and get up 100 images in 5 quality sizes scanned and burn to a CD - this was higher quality that the Picture CD that followed them - but now I they are all digital scans and storage 'DVD' based or put on Thumb Drives

20. TJP75

TJP75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +687
      Fantastic podcast as always gents.

The recounting of buying LaserDisc's took me back to when my father bought my sister a Pioneer player than changed the disc side automatically; first film I watched was Army of Darkness as a young teen with a very early Yamaha surround sound system.

Buying Laserdiscs was the source of mirth; entering the back of a appliance shop and enetring an Aladdin's cave of Laserdiscs. I was too young to buy any however it never stopped me from getting caught looking at the Playboy discs.

As for using MP3 players, I listen to the AVForums podcast on a Sony Walkman I bought directly from Japan. Sound quality of the Sony at the time I bought it was so much better than my then Nexus 5 and is better than the Pixel I currently own.

I still use the Walkman on a near daily basis despite it being anachronistic. 'Tis a shame Sony drops support for their portable devices so quickly and hardly ever advertises them outside of Japan where quite a few models are available: 商品一覧 | ポータブルオーディオプレーヤー WALKMAN ウォークマン | ソニー The top of the range Walkman is an eye watering £3,000!

Never bothered with an iPod; I hate Apple software on non-Apple hardware and my first iPod died after 8 months of use.

21. widescreen

widescreen

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Long time listener to this podcast and enjoy the extended podcasts, can we have more instead of this artificial 60 minutes and Phil always complaining you're going over time. The long yacking sections tend to be the most entertaining and humorous. Perhaps two versions of the podcast, edited version and unedited rambling version - perfect for commuting.
      <Old git rant on> Can Phil sort out the audio levels and stop making himself the loudest and croaky Steve needs his volume upping and a better mike. <rant off>

22. cooperda

cooperda

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +119
      It has been mentioned before - that Steve's connection speed is somewhat dire compared to the rest of the team but that is further exacerbated by his speed of delivery (which seeming doubles) when he starts talking more & more excitedly (but informatively) about a particular new TV's specs :)

The podcasts are a joy - thanks guys!

23. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +698
      I’m midway through the podcast (great so far) but quickly wanted to get a comment in.

Regarding 3D, I used to be in the same mindset as Steve – i.e. only watching films shot on 3D cameras. This is after some poor advice out there on which post-conversions are worth watching (I made the mistake of seeing Doctor Strange in 3D, which put me off “fake” 3D for life). Although I do admit that the quality of 3D is subjective and can vary between venues. That said… I now agree with Phil – not all post-conversions can be tarred with the same brush.

T2: 3D was brilliant and is possibly the best 2D to 3D conversion that I’ve seen. I was too young to watch this in the cinema upon its 1991 release so am delighted to have watched this on the big screen, with an audience and with a professional sound system. Cameron clearly has an eye for 3D and has supervised this re-release well. Usually, it’s the depth-of-field that annoys me with fake 3D but I must say that I barely noticed that here (maybe a couple of times). Overall – I thought the quality of 3D was as good as true 3D screenings. I loved it!

24. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,728
      I agree with you on T2, it looked great last night and I'm so glad I got my ticket and went along. I did see it in 1991 on its release, but really wanted to see it again on the big screen. The presentation was superb at the Odeon Metrocentre.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    25. Grumpyrocker

Grumpyrocker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +85
      Those of you who have seen the new version of T2 what did you think of the colour regrade? From the trailers it looks like a horrible teal/orange makeover.

26. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +698
      I can't say that I noticed but it's been so long since I last watched T2. Personally, I thought that the colouring looked good. :)

27. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Assistant Editor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,356
      I'm using a high quality Sennheiser radio mic with a pop screen, so the problems are more related to my internet connection and a tendency to get over-excited!

28. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13,884
      Who keeps thinking Samsung's don't have expendable memory? I have heard this twice on podcasts. Both the S7 and the S8 have expendable storage. Both can take microSD up to 256Gb.

I think a few versions ago it was dropped, S6? But it was unpopular and put back in.

I currently have an S8 with a 200Gb microSD card and I play music stored as Flac off it. 100Gb is music, 50Gb is video and the rest is "spare."

29. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +500
      I've been into portable music since i was in my teens. I must have had 3 cassette players. They got smaller and more portable, then came auto reverse! I was very tempted by mini disk but was put off by it being sony only and was a poor student in the early 90s. I did get a portable cd player.

The 5gb ipod (i think 2nd gen as that was the first one windows compatible) was an amazing dream machine, then came a nano at a fraction of size, followed by an even smaller nano.

As soon as my company switched from blackberries to iphones, the separate device was put in the draw. I know music players are smaller but i always have my phone with me so there's no weight argument for me. Plus battery life is ok for me as long as i charge regularly.

The other main advantage for me over my older music machines is the internet connection to get my podcasts.

Not sure if there's a sound quality argument, but i rip music at 320 and have a decent set of shures which works well enough. Plus 80% of listening seems to be podcasts for me.

RIP music player, i say !

MB

30. MikeTheBike2010

MikeTheBike2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +88
      Great podcast thank you.

Love the mention of 9.5 Weeks as I have very clear memories of that cassette deck with the novel swivel auto reverse. Weirdly I can remember nothing else of that (supposedly saucy envelope pushing) film aside from

A/ Something to do with a fridge and strawberries (and I can't remember more than that).

B/ Being on a local radio phone in discussing whether the film should be banned locally (Brighton council actually considered this) - my argument being against censorship and that in my humble the film was not much cop anyway!

Simpler times!

Does anyone else still desire an all in one horizontal music centre (record deck, radio, cassette) always dreamed of one as a kid!