AVForums Podcast: Episode 189 - 14th August 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 13, 2017.

Tags:

1. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +960
      Welcome back Ed. I wish you a speedy recovery. Look forward to hearing / reading about the Rega Research Planar 6 (I think I heard that mentioned on the podcast).

Many thanks gents for another informative podcast with excellent hardware discussion.

Oh Phil / Steve - if you enjoyed Atomic Blonde then definitely watch The Hitman's Bodyguard, particularly if you thought that Atomic Blonde was brutal. The two are quite similar but tonally, Hitman's Bodyguard is more comedic. Make no mistake though - it's a "hard" 15! Look forward to hearing your thoughts if you get round to watching it.

I'm the same as yourself. The lack of minimum term contract allows me to hop between Amazon / Netflix / Now TV depending on what I want to watch. It's rare that I pay for all subscriptions at the same time. I think it's easy to forget that this can be done and unlike Sky, cancelling is easily done online with a few clicks (so you don't need to endure the guilt trip from someone at a call centre).

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    2. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,420
      If you read the book it tells how you also found classics. A huge amount of people ended up watching "Jewel in the Crown" as there was nothing else and then finding out it was decent and they wouldn't have watched it otherwise.

3. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,420
      As another thing, back then, due to the lack of channels you might find the great unwashed watching BBC2 and watching arts programmes, OU stuff and other educational TV.

Now it's possible to spend your life watching soaps and shopping channels and never see anything else.

The reason why so many grown ups watched The Magic Roundabout was because it was on just before the news and it became a cult hit.

Now, if you don't have kids you might never know of just what kids are watching.

I had a few lads working with me a couple of years ago. I was listening to Radio 4 during the day. After a few weeks they were discussing politics and foreign affairs.

Years ago we watched what there was and a lot of it was decent and sometimes educational.

You refer to Last of The Summer Wine. There wasn't just that. We had Monty Python, The Likely Lads, Steptoe and Son. Going to say that wasn't good comedy?

We have gained a lot but we've lost something.

4. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,455
      A phrase involving the words 'No' and 'Sherlock' springs to mind. Besides, I haven't the time to read, I'm too busy worrying about what TV show - and via what platform - I'm going to watch next:)

5. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,455
      Hmm, I thought the cult following was more to do with its association with mind altering substances but I could be wrong.

No, not at all, I just think you chose unfortunate programmes to illustrate the 'golden age' of British TV in your prior post.

I won't disagree there.

6. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,420
      As I remember it, it was something like Blue Peter then Magic Roundabout, then local news at 1745, then national news at 1800 then Nationwide.

Dad's got home from work, kids telly was on, it was the last thing of the kids telly then it was into the news.

"Magic Roundabout" led to Jasper Carrott putting a skit on the B Side of his single and surprise hit, "Funky Moped". A radio station played the A Side, interviewed him, then at the end of the interview, as he was leaving, decided to play the B Side. Jasper left the studio quick. It was pure smut.
      Sunday night's were dire. There wasnt much else. I think BBC2 was showing Arena. It was that or nothing. Then later I went to Germany and it was one channel. SSVC. I remember they bought up Eldorado and showed it at prime time. The world and his dog, wrote in to say, "get it off, stick anything but that on."

Even then I ended up watching kids stuff as there was nothing else. It was Scragtag and Toddles and Wizadora.

Anyway people today have never had it so good. There's always something decent to watch somewhere.

7. ch1z

ch1z

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      Well that is the best pod cast yet. Ed's fall and road to recovery, Mark 1 having no games news at all and Mark 2 just remembered their wedding anniversary, Phil having a social life and winning a cup shared with with the pony club and a Mhe on the various shades of orange of the Ford Fiesta's and to wrap up Mr Withers finally finds the Smurfs 3 on ultra Blu-ray disc is one disc he will not be purchasing.
      Keep up the good work, it's like neighbours meets the Simpsons with AV reviews and advice thrown in when you least expect it. And hello to Jason Isaacs.