AVForums Podcast: Episode 189 - 14th August 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 13, 2017.

Tags:

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,058
      This week we discuss:

00:00:41 – Is Ed feeling better and did anyone win a cup?
      00:10:35 – Current Competitions
      00:11:15 – ATI acquires Datasat Digital Entertainment
      00:14:02 – Steve gives us his views on the LG UP970 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
      00:20:31 – Ed's thoughts on the Oppo Sonica DAC
      00:27:23 – Upcoming Reviews
      00:33:19 – Steve quickly reviews Denon’s HEOS AVR
      00:36:41 – Phil and Steve review Valerian and Atomic Blonde
      00:48:30 – Films opening on Friday – The Hitman’s Bodyguard and The Dark Tower
      00:51:30 – Blu-rays released this week – The Smurfs: The Lost Village, Going in Style and Ronin
      00:54:20 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up
      01:03:38 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:04:27 | File Size: 92mb | Direct Link

• Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    2. babator

babator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      I am now picturing Ed with sideburns, recovering unnaturally quickly. Thanks for the image.

3. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +190
      Welcome back.

4. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +558
      Good to hear you all again and in great form as usual.
      Is there such a thing as a bargain bin for UHD players in petrol stations? Think I can guess the first contender after Steve's LG review.
      Tin Star on Sky Atlantic is the trailer you saw in the cinema.
      I can see illegal streaming/downloading becoming more prolific in the future should the streaming services become so fragmented. There is no way people will be able to afford Netflix, Disney, Amazon Prime, Sky, Virgin etc to gain a decent choice of viewing options, especially if they have children as a further consideration.
      Must go to see Atomic Blonde after your comments.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      Poor excuse. I grew up with just three TV channels. No uber games consoles, and I was happy kicking a ball around, doing a jigsaw, or playing on my bike. If you can't keep a kid entertained with games consoles, tablets, the web, freeview/freesat or the huge outside world there's something wrong. Get a kite, or a set of lego, or a jigsaw, or the million other things that there are.

6. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +558
      3 TV channels - " Luxury " ( in a Yorkshire accent ). We got our first TV when I was 6.
      A lot easier said than done! There are also families who use the TV as a child minder. Check a child's phone these days and you will see what interests them by the various apps installed.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    7. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      So why need piracy if you are using a phone? I regularly have a child round. There's something like eight kids channels on Freeview alone? That isn't enough?

8. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      @Phil Hinton @Steve Withers why is that "funny?"

Do you agree that illegal streaming is justified if people can't afford Netflix etc?

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,058
      No, I was laughing at the examples of - doing something less boring instead... ;)

10. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      I was going off a personal example. I have a nine year old boy stopping here regularly. I have Amazon Prime, A PS3, A PS Vita, a PS4, a PS4 Pro. I have Freeview and a Freesat box. I have blu-rays and UHDs. A lot of them are Disney stuff.

The lad spends most of the time outside playing with a football with the local kids. Or he plays with his lego stuff.

Two girls turned up at the door asking if he could come out. That's never happened to me either. From time to time he comes in, grabs a glass of squash then runs out again.

So nah, I'm not convinced you need to pirate stuff if you can't get by with what's on Freeview etc.

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,667
      You're bordering on false equivalence. People currently receive a given quantity of content if they subscribe to x,y and z. If this is fragmented and they will now only receive that quantity of content if you subscribe to services s through z, it is far from unreasonable to believe they will seek to make up the shortfall by nefarious means. It's not they are seeking extra, simply getting back to where they were.

It is also perfectly possible for a child to be active and still consume video content. When my son wakes up at six am, I could kick him off to the park but realistically, I'm going to let him use an iPad for a bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    12. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +558
      Ed - Glad you understood my point. Can't say I saw many kids flying kites when I used to work in certain areas.

13. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      I see Freeview/Freesat as providing more than enough TV. If you do add other paid services then that's still more on top of that. For kids alone I could set my box to series link every kids programme going on freeview and that's not including mainstream ITV showing Harry Potter and The Hobbit etc and have more stuff than anyone could ever watch and that's not including every other thing that's around these days.

Wasn't a previous podcast on how there's too much to watch? Didn't someone recently on a podcast say they've not watched telly as they were too busy?

There's too much to watch as it is.

14. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      You could still take your own kids out. What other parents do is up to them. Tablets, TV, consoles are great but you can still have fun with board games etc. Would you really like your kid to have grown up and never flown a kite? I made one with my dad (out of bamboo poles, bin bags, plastic sheet) and did the same with the lad.

15. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +558
      Our kids do a variety of activities including Explorer Scouts, climbing, Taekwondo and drama to name a few, let alone board games etc.
      You missed my original point about the type of content produced. Disney produce a lot that appeals to kids ( and adults ). If they decide to withdraw it from all the other streaming services, consumers will need to subscribe to yet another service at a further cost of say £10/month to provide for everyone in the family.
      I suggest you start another thread rather than hijack this one. I won't comment any further.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    16. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      Never have had Disney on, and so we won't miss it. Other stuff suitable for kids is available and on all platforms. And bye then.

17. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +712
      There is never any excuse for theft. If you can't or won't pay for something, you can't have it. It's really that simple.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    18. Jek99

Jek99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +296
      Great podcast again, the gym session went faster this week. I have both a LG UP970 (living room for dolby vision) and a Panasonic UB400 (Cinema room) and I kind of agree with the LG UP970 comments, it's not great to look at, the interface is dated and the lack of DLNA is annoying. However picture quality is great and it does dolby vision and 3D and that's more important for me. One other thing to point out is that the UP970 Youtube App plays HDR videos as HDR10 on my LG C6. To be honest it's only the lack of DLNA that's an issue for me.

19. del_86

del_86

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +238
      Without going off topic I have to agree with Ed.
      Fragmentation of content is in danger of becoming ridiculous on the TV and to a lesser extent Movie side of things.
      Greed on the content providers part is the biggest danger to increased piracy (and no, I don't think its right).
      Surely Spotify and other music services have shown that a consolidated approach to content availability can only increase the market.
      (Sky and to an extent BT are in danger of doing the exact same with access to sports...but that's another discussion for another day.)
      Give people reasonable access to a decent quantity and quality of content and they will pay (Netflix, Amazon etc) but once you start removing too much from each service to generate another tier of paid goods behind yet another firewall is just silly, greedy and asking for trouble going forward.
      It makes people less likely to keep their Amazon, Netflix, Sky subscription going, so the providers lose out in more ways.

Anyway, good to have you back Ed - wishing you a speedy recovery :)

• Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • List
      Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    20. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,101
      Glad to hear you are on the mend Ed, bad luck on the broken toe on the other foot.
      At least you have an excuse to be medicated on the Podcast now, was amusing hearing your excitable comments after a few tins a few months back.

Agree with the multiple subs, I binned Sky and put up with 720P Sky Now (it actually looks decent enough on a 4k tv), if you shop around you can get it for £3/M for the entertainment package. I’m persuading/kidding myself Amazon delivery is paying for my prime content and Netflix, well, have an Oled now, so need some UHD content, but if we end up having to add on Disney, Fox, HBO, they will lose me unless their subs are cheap. I’m still cheaper with all of the above compared to my old Sky package and content, availability and device usage is so much better.

UHD’s are a ridiculous price, I know we must invest in technology, but I’m not paying £25 for an average movie, when Close Encounters comes out, I’ll find it hard not to cave in, but for most other titles, I have bought/will buy second hand for £12-15 which is acceptable – HDR is fantastic btw.

I’m sure my tight wallet is not because I live in Scotland!

Will check out Atomic Blonde too, watched a 6 min scene on YouTube from Baby Driver after your comments, looks like a good blind buy.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    21. crabby09

crabby09

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +153
      Toon Army is right, fragmentation could definitely cause proliferation of illegal content... And I simply don't get Sonic67's argument - no one is saying they're going to go illegal or that their kids are going to blow up from boredom.

Rationally, people are going to pick their preferred platforms... If their platforms do not have certain content that they wish to consume, they will either choose to seek that content legally or illegally. The more content they cannot get from their preferred platforms the more likely they choose the wrong option.

And it's not necessarily about the amount of content, which is why the Disney thing holds true. So what if you don't watch Disney? Some (lots of?) people do and if those items are ring fenced within a platform that many deem too expensive then they may look for that specific content elsewhere.

Now... I would go one further and say the current cost of content is so ridiculously low which is a likely cause of this fragmentation. When you look at a Sky package for example, you are paying less than half the cost for both Amazon and Netflix combined. Off the back of that, the content providers get a fraction of the monthly revenues - so it stands to reason that they may wish to jump ship in favour of their own platform.

Then there's the lack of tie in to the subs! If I ever get enough time to watch a decent amount of telly and find my preferred platforms are running out juice, I'll jump ship and stick to my budget - enjoying a whole raft of other shows before I decide to jump ship again.

Streaming is awesome, but let's not forget 20 years ago it cost us £3 to rent 1 (yes, 1!) film from blockbusters! So the tiny sum we are spending now will inevitably require compromises - for example, streaming quality :( I live in hope that the future will be better for streaming as more money is spread over less content, giving rise to more professional streams and higher quality content.

crabby

• Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    22. raymondo77

raymondo77
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,883
      I also agree about the fragmentation leading to more piracy. Unless I'm very much mistaken, it's never been easier to download and/or stream content through nefarious means, and introducing friction into legitimate avenues of consumption(whether by difficulty of use, or splitting everything up so it's a pain to find) only encourages it.

I stopped downloading stuff years ago, as Netflix, Amazon and YouTube combined with a little bit of Sky Q meet all of my needs outside of disc purchase. I'm not likely to return to my shady days, but I can see why others (aside from those pikeys who will always steal content because they see no intrinsic value in it) would think "sod it".

• Like Like x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    23. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      You will always have a fragmentation of media. When I grew up there was those with Sky and those who didn't. So some were watching this new cartoon called The Simpsons and some wasn't. However did we manage?

Now unless you have Freeview, Freeesat, Amazon Prime, Netflix, all the Sky channels, all the BT channels, all the cable channels, and whatever else is possible you are going to missing out on something somewhere.

I don't have Sky, my teams in the Premiership, it doesn't bother me, I listen to the radio, and have too much going on as it is.

One way or another there will always be a huge amount of content and you pay for what you want. Even when I had cable I didn't have the full cable package. Personally I prefer it like this. Have it fragmented, and then just pay for what actually interests you rather than pay for an expensive package full of stuff you aren't interested in.

24. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +533
      ^^ I'm pretty much with @Sonic67 on this one. I remember when sky sports was pretty much free (or included in a base sky package). Then they charged for it. People moaned (although it was clearly going to happen) and then the people that wanted it paid for it and we all moved on.

These companies aren't totally daft. If they don't anticipate some customer support they wouldn't do it. As consumers we'll just deal with the options and prices available to us and make our choices.

There's already too much good TV content than TV hours for me personally !

MB

25. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      If Netflix has lost Disney then perhaps Netflix will make up the loss by adding more stuff or will reduce their prices. It depends on whether they think they will lose customers.

26. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,058
      I'm struggling to think of any Disney content on UK Netflix.

27. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,397
      DisneyLife is already open for business in the UK so there's not that much anymore and the Disney Channel(s) was/were removed from NOW TV some time ago. There is loads on US Netflix, however, much to my own personal pain.

28. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,888
      Might not be an issue then.

There was a thread I saw here.

Netflix to get Disney

Or it might be an issue later. The US always tends to get things first.

Either way the point still stands. The time when we all could watch the same is long gone. I read this book years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MRS-SLOCOMBES-PUSSY-Growing-Front-x/dp/0007291817

It was about the golden age of British television where we all watched the same. On a Sunday night you watched "Hart to Hart" on ITV or "The Good Old Days" on the BBC as that was it. And because you'd all watched the same things you could talk about it the next day at school.

At this moment I have "Humans" still on my Freesat box from months ago. Still not had time to watch it. My mate says I should watch Homeland. Not got time for that. I haven't watched beyond series 1 of The Walking Dead, I haven't seen House of Cards or Fargo. All supposed to be good, and all on a mental list to watch "one day."

I have way too much too watch as it is. As long as I have stuff to watch occasionally I'm happy. I have Freeview and Freesat, Amazon Prime as I order a lot off Amazon and I make use of the Amazon TV and music but I never bought it for that reason. I buy blurays and UHDs sometimes.

Even there I have disks I have not had time to watch yet. I bought a Marx Brothers box set on bluray and still not watched all of it yet.

29. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +533
      For me it was Blackadder(s) on Thursday nights followed by reciting every line we could remember on Friday at School. There was no other topic of conversation!

Mb

30. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,397

If that was the 'Golden Age' thank heavens it's a thing of the past! Shouldn't Last of the Summer Wine be among those 'classics'?