AVForums Podcast: Episode 186 - 17th July 2017

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss:

00:00:37 – Did anyone get carried away on Amazon Prime Day?
00:12:54 – Philips TV Tech Shoot Out at BAFTA
00:14:39 – Current Competitions
00:15:12 – Ed reviews the ATC HTS7 AV speaker package
00:23:15 – Mark rounds up the latest games news
00:28:01 – Steve’s thoughts on the Oppo UDP-205 Ultra HD Blu-ray player
00:33:37 – Steve’s initial impressions of Dolby Vision
00:41:39 – Steve reviews War for the Planet of the Apes
00:46:56 – Films opening on Friday – Shot! and Dunkirk
00:47:35 – Blu-rays released this week – Beauty and the Beast
00:48:40 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up
00:49:55 – Stranger Things 2 gets a new trailer, a poster and a release date
00:51:00 – Our favourite Second World War movies
01:04:55 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:05:40 | File Size: 98mb | Direct Link

Happy Bday Mark!

Prime day caught me too, did have a few decent deals, didn't go mad like Mark though.
Panasonic UB400 £175, pretty good as Steve just reviewed recently at £299
Harmony Elite £112, it was up at £244 mark
Planet Earth 2 UHD, £20 notes

Just need a UHD tv now :)

Interesting points on DV, almost ready to pull the trigger on OLED after getting some great price matches.
Good to know if I don't go for it, its not like I'm missing too much, but come 2018 when possibly more manufacturers are forced to join the DV club, that's when it may start to annoy.
<28 days to go until I can join the club!!

Happy Bday Mark!

Prime day caught me too, did have a few decent deals, didn't go mad like Mark though.
Panasonic UB400 £175, pretty good as Steve just reviewed recently at £299
Harmony Elite £112, it was up at £244 mark
Planet Earth 2 UHD, £20 notes

Just need a UHD tv now :)

Interesting points on DV, almost ready to pull the trigger on OLED after getting some great price matches.
Good to know if I don't go for it, its not like I'm missing too much, but come 2018 when possibly more manufacturers are forced to join the DV club, that's when it may start to annoy.
<28 days to go until I can join the club!!
That's a cracking deal on the UB400.

Great Podcast again, the Gym session just flew by (well nearly)
I too managed to get the UB400 for £175 and Planet Earth 2 4K for £20, managed to resist otherwise.

Great podcast again folks.

Going to be interesting to hear about the HDR10 and DV differences. Looking forward to hearing all about it (to a point!).

With the loss of 3D (important for me) on this years OLED's I could be in an interesting position whether DV is worth the upgrade and lose the 3D or stick with what I have.

Keep up the good work.

Always great to hear the underseen Come & See being mentioned as being on of the great films about war. A truly devestating piece of work and I really hope it gets a blu-ray release so it can disturb a whole new generation.

Another good listen. Prime Day was a waste of time unless you did your research before hand for items you actually needed. Sounds as though Mark did a Dale Winton supermarket trolley dash!
Will the Mustang feature on the next Grand Turismo? Hope they have some virtual re-fuelling points.
Steve - Any thoughts/experiences on the the various media streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon? In particular, the quality between the various sources such as Smart TVs, UHD players and games consoles. I accept that ethernet connectivity is desirable, but what about the final image and audio aspects?

Last edited:
Thanks again for another entertaining podcast.

I'm personally not against a website having a sale day and accept if i have ever bought from them i'll get an email about it. Even if they all want to do it on one day in November. But how the hell is this "news" ?? I have no clue why this should feature on anything other than their own website.

I wonder if the decreasing quality of news is directly related to the fact that we now expect it for free (i haven't paid for a daily newspaper since having kids)?

Even in my iOS news app there now appears story lines from soaps in-between news items. I find celebrity "news" deplorable enough without fictional story lines hitting my news feed.

Bah humbug !

MB

Thanks again for another entertaining podcast.

I'm personally not against a website having a sale day and accept if i have ever bought from them i'll get an email about it. Even if they all want to do it on one day in November. But how the hell is this "news" ?? I have no clue why this should feature on anything other than their own website.

I wonder if the decreasing quality of news is directly related to the fact that we now expect it for free (i haven't paid for a daily newspaper since having kids)?

Even in my iOS news app there now appears story lines from soaps in-between news items. I find celebrity "news" deplorable enough without fictional story lines hitting my news feed.

Bah humbug !

MB
This is an AV site and Amazon sells or provides AV. So it's AV news.

If you want actual news go to the BBC.

This is an AV site and Amazon sells or provides AV. So it's AV news.

If you want actual news go to the BBC.

Got that and agreed mate.

I was agreeing with the kind folks on the podcast who commented what media hype black Friday was !

Certainly not having a pop at AVF.

MB

I know this is an old podcast but I think Steve and Ed might like this World War 2 movie:

The Captain (2017) Der Hauptmann (2017) - IMDb
it's about a german deserter in the last days of WW2.

I've had it recommended as a double feature with Stalag 17.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom