• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVForums Podcast: Episode 185 - 10th July 2017

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we discuss:

00:00:25 – RIP Grotbags and possibly Blue Peter
00:10:00 – Current Competitions
00:12:40 – Steve rounds-up the Samsung M9500 and Xbox One S UHD Blu-ray players
00:20:05 – Ed takes a look at the Chord Hugo 2 DAC
00:27:36 – Steve’s thoughts on the Hisense N6800 4K LED TV
00:34:46 – Phil and Steve review Spider-Man: Homecoming at the cinema
00:47:26 – Films opening on Friday – War for the Planet of the Apes, The Beguiled and Cars 3
00:52:58 – Blu-rays released this week – Logan, Elle and Stormy Monday
00:55:22 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up
00:59:08 – Our favourite post-apocalyptic movies
01:09:18 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:10:08 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link

FunkiestMonkey

I know that. I am taking the rating literally. You highly recommend the Sony, so how can you recommend the Samsung at all? Maybe I misunderstand the ratings.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
I know that. I am taking the rating literally. You highly recommend the Sony, so how can you recommend the Samsung at all? Maybe I misunderstand the ratings.
Yes, I think you do. The majority of people have no interest in 3D, SACD or DVD-Audio, so the M9500 is still worthy of recommendation but I did penalise it for being too expensive compared to the X800 for example.

is1111

Still can't get this episode on ios podcast player. Tried deleting and subscribing again but not showing in the feed for AVforums. Anyone else have same issue?

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Also unable to see the latest episode (Pocket Casts on iOS).

Sonic67

Banned
I click on the direct link and it starts playing. There's a down arrow also on screen. I pause the playing, click on the down arrow and it saves to the downloads folder on Windows. After that I move the file to wherever and rename it.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
It is just taking a little longer than usual for the feed XML to update on apps etc. as I didn't publish it until this morning. Should all be working now.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
It is just taking a little longer than usual for the feed XML to update on apps etc. as I didn't publish it until this morning. Should all be working now.

Yes it's showing in Pocket Casts (and presumably other podcast clients) now, thanks Phil.

dollag

Fist of the North Star is my favourite post-apocalyptic setting, albeit it is animated

Jek99

Great podcast again, the image of Postman Pat working for Yodel will make me chuckle for ages, priceless!

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Great podcast again, the image of Postman Pat working for Yodel will make me chuckle for ages, priceless!
A few months back, I had a rather annoyed person hammer at my door asking....no demanding for his parcel from Yodel. "the driver said he delivered it here and was signed by Jennifer". He lived to villages over.

It took a number increasingly annoying responses from me to get to understand that no one was in the house all day. No I am not single, no my wife is not called Jennifer, yes there is another female living in the house, no here name is not Jennifer. No I'm not lying, now **** off.

This is how Yodel makes people feel. My heart leaps a little whenever I hear my item is being delivered by DPD.

Great podcast again guys. Good mix of serious stuff and cocking about with film naming.

Logan is ace. Looks and sounds ace too. Have to say the trailer going around for the disc release is cool. Though anything that uses a Jonny Cash song becomes a nerve jangler. Hell even Eastenders pulled it off.

Toon Army

Thanks gentlemen for another informative and enjoyable podcast/ramble. Good news about all the studios embracing DV. Just need Sony to release a UHD player that has DV and SACD.

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Thanks gentlemen for another information and enjoyable podcast/ramble. Good news about all the studios embracing DV. Just need Sony to release a UHD player that has DV and SACD.
According to Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will include both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, so that confirms what we thought. I'm expecting Warners and Paramount to jump on the DV bandwagon soon, they're already using it for streaming in the States. So that leaves 20th Century Fox as the only studio not supporting Dolby Vision.

I'm fairly sure we'll see a Sony DV player announced at IFA.

FunkiestMonkey

In all seriousness, I know it is nice to have,bit who would be able to tell a Dolby Vision picture?

It is a rhetorical question because of course you can't.

As box ticking exercises go, it is an expensive one.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
I have and I definitely think that the Dolby Vision experience is superior, it's subtle at times but there's better definition, more detail in peak highlights and shadows and because it uses dynamic rather than static metadata it can adjust from bright to dark scenes in a way that HDR10 can't. I also like the idea of a single ecosystem from beginning to end (Dolby Vision Pulsar monitor to calibrated Dolby Vision display) which results in superior tone mapping.

FunkiestMonkey

I accept that we are approaching the plateau of the law of law diminishing returns.

As an aside, with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, are we reaching the theoretical pinnacle of what our eyes and ears can distinguish on a screen and through current speaker technology?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom