AVForums Podcast: Episode 184 - 3rd July 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,594
      This week we discuss:

00:00:30 – We’re all getting old
      00:01:58 – The AVForums YouTube channel has just passed 30 million views
      00:05:22 – Current Competitions
      00:07:14 – Nintendo announce the SNES Classic Edition
      00:15:27 – Steve reviews the Panasonic UB400 and UB300 Ultra HD Blu-ray players
      00:22:44 – Phil’s thoughts on the Acer V9800 projector with the new TI 4K DLP chip
      00:35:19 – Steve has had the JVC Z1 4K laser projector back again
      00:40:08 – Hodge’s views on the Egreat A10 Android media player
      00:44:19 – Ed rounds up the latest high-end all-in-one systems
      00:53:55 – Steve reviews Baby Driver at the cinema
      00:59:38 – Films opening on Friday – Spider-Man: Homecoming
      01:02:44 – Blu-rays released this week – A Cure for Wellness and Hidden Figures
      01:04:30 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up
      01:07:08 – Christmas in July
      01:12:16 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:13:30 | File Size: 104mb | Direct Link

2. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +349
      Optoma 4K DLP Projectors start at under £2000 for the 550 model, which easily undercuts the pseudo 4K Epson and JVC models. (TOTL Optoma 4K DLP Projector is the 65 at just under £3000)

Interesting point about the rainbow effect on the Acer 4K model, as the Benq 4k DLP projector reviews also mention it. (Be interesting to see what Optoma can achieve)

All in one Hi-Fi system over separates? Wash your mouth out with soap and water :D (How times have changed)

Bill

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
      Excellent podcast as per

One thing I wanted to pick up from a couple of weeks ago is the future impact of VR, not only on gaming but on future movie/video watching.
      I've got a nice batcave set up with an excellent Epson 9200TW projector into a 102 inch diagonal screen...the 2 inches are very important!

However on a bit of a whim when I picked up an S8 plus phone a few weeks back I got a gear VR, whilst it's clearly not perfect:, sde is apparent, and it's not the most comfortable thing to wear on your head or very sociable!...the level of immersion is amazing.

I can watch movies on IMAX sized screen, and have watched movies a few times on a 200 inch equivalent screen in the Samsung phone beta app.

now when I go back to my protector it seems a bit underwhelming at only 102 inches.!

The sense of scale in movies and video experiences is just not achievable in any other format and I think as they refine the technology higher resolution, lighter glasses etc its going to be the future of how we watch stuff.

The fact that it's portable, wireless and relatively cheap takes up no room to set up means that you don't have to have loads of space or a spare room to experience cinema at home

4. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +198
      Slow off the mark with posting the podcast but well worth the wait :smashin:

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,389
      Still surprises me that people believe this. I sold my Rift a while back, and sure VR is cool, but it will never EVER replace the movie experience in a cinema or on a home projector in a well setup room. A future where people have to put on glasses or a headset? We've been there, no-one's interested.

Not only that, but movies are often a shared experience, and the day my wife and I sit next to each other with our own headsets on, cocooned from the room and each other...well I think that would be a sad day indeed.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    6. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
      I think that sad day has largely already arrived, especially among young who literally view their smart phones as another limb and constantly use them for everything including consumption of media ....also many older folks as well.

How many people in the future..again younger people will ever be able to afford the houses let alone the home cinema set ups many of us have in our homes?

Be it VR or AR it's a cheap way to get an experience that many can only dream of actually buying.

The hive is too restrictive with all the cables and the high end pc required to run it and is more games orientated.
      But I find the wireless nature of the gear VR quick and easy to set up and where it takes you in terms of scale blows away any home cinema set up.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,389
      I know of no-one who uses VR to watch movies. Plenty of people have tried it, but comments of "wow, there's a real sense of scale" are quickly followed by "the resolution is a bit crap isn't it?", and then headsets get taken off and consigned to the gimmick bin.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for VR, and as the tech develops I'm sure people will use them for all kinds of things. But the technology fundementally relies on a user putting on a headset, and this alone will keep it away from mass adoption.

Just because technology is there, doesn't mean people want it or use it. 3D is a good case in point. Forget about headsets...most people can't be bothered to put on lightweight glasses, even when 3D is done really well.

And take a look at frame rate in movies. 24fps is as old school as it gets, yet every attempt by filmmakers to try something different fails. Why? Because there's nothing wrong with today's movie experience in the cinema or home. It's awesome. We have access to huge screens in our living rooms (and you don't need much room to have a big screen). We have access to cheap as chips 5.1 sound systems, and streaming HD content. Now we have 7.1.4 sound arrays, 4k visuals and projectors capable of throwing enormous images for a few hundred pounds.

In other words, most of us can have incredible movie experiences. And it doesn't need improving.

IMHO of course :)

8. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
      It's not prime time ready....yet....But I think it will evolve.

When the resolution increases as it undoubtedly will and the user experience improves..much lighter and more comfortable to wear..and it gets even cheaper then I think it still really catch on. IMHO of course

Funny what you say about projectors, I'm the only person I know who has got one!

9. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,072
    10. steve a

steve a

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +126
      Great podcast as usual, thank you. Well I was a year older the day after the podcast, so I feel old. Even for an oldie in body but young in mind I have no interest in rejuvenating or playing old video games on a new retro console. New games all the way when I get the time to play them.