AVForums Podcast: Episode 181 - 29th May 2017

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss:
00:00:29 – The Mustang is the world’s most popular sports car but is it actually a sports car?
00:04:20 – Current Competitions
00:05:36 – Ed’s reports on the Munich HiFi Show
00:15:49 – Amazon add live TV channels to their Prime video service
00:19:52 – Steve’s game of the month (yes really)
00:22:14 – Ed stresses that MP3 is not actually dead despite Mark’s headline
00:29:46 – Steve thoughts on the Panasonic EZ1002 OLED TV
00:43:30 – Ed’s album, vinyl release and playlist of the month
00:49:34 – Upcoming reviews
00:56:54 – Film of the month
00:59:50 – Films opening on Friday – Baywatch and Wonder Woman
01:04:25 – Blu-ray of the month
01:11:50 – Blu-rays released this week – Underworld: Blood Wars, XXX: The Return of Xander Cage and Jackie
01:12:35 – Ultra HD Blu-ray of the month
01:13:20 – Ultra HD Blu-ray News
01:14:40 – RIP Roger Moore
01:23:23 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:24:26 | File Size: 121mb | Direct Link

Steve withers,will you being doing a review on the new Sony Dolby Atmos soundbar with the LG SJ9

regards Tristan

The playlist shifting software I was referring to is called Soundiiz.

Can I just say that the Kraftwerk boxset is outstanding;

Re Amazon Channels. The Eurosport addon for Amazon Channels is the same price as Eurosport's own player. However Eurosport's software is absolutely horrific. Chromecast support is badly broken and the whole thing is terribly unreliable.

So adding the channel to Amazon is great news. I can watch Le Mans and Le Tour on Amazon's much more reliable platform (via apps on my mobile devices and televisions) and not have to rely on Eurosports terrible products.

I subscribed for my usual summer of sport with ES via Amazon the day it was released, thankfully it appeared a few days before I was going to pay ES direct.

Thank you chaps, I've missed many many weeks podcasts, will catch up when time allows.

On the Mustang front, it's a tricky one - it's a very capable car in its current guise, and excellent VFM. There just aren't V8, RWD coupes available new from the showroom other than the Mustang (in the UK specifically).

You'd have to spend a chunk more money to get the next rung up the ladder, the Camaro ZL1 - 315 section front tyres make all the difference to handling; it's more of a track focussed toy though, much like the full beans version of a Viper.

The bottom line with whichever flavour of petroleum fueled goodness though, is that it's still allowed to happen. With all the EV talk at the moment, and motorists looking as if they'll be penalised and driven out of driving cars they like, it's refreshing that car makers (particularly the American firms) are making fun, inefficient, characterful cars.

Fuel consumption is always a tricky one to justify to non car people. Fortunately the 64mpg I get in the TT can counterbalance the 12 gallons per 1/4 mile of the Corvette :D. The other weekend toy will be getting a mammoth ~15mpg (all will be revealed soon).

Back on topic... Sir Roger. Genuinely sad when I heard - growing up with VHS copies of Bond films, his were the ones I saw the most of when I was young. We talk a lot about who was the best Bond, and it's a very subjective thing, I think each actor to have played the character, nailed it in at least one of their films but for different reasons. With Sir Roger, for me it was The Spy Who Loved Me. I wish I could have seen it during its theatrical release; it was one of the few complete Bond films that had a bit of everything.

Timing being as it was, ITV's schedule for Sundays got the right film at the right time, so it was nice to see the flares, pyramids, Lotus submarines and webbed handed villains once more.

With Sir Roger, for me it was The Spy Who Loved Me. I wish I could have seen it during its theatrical release; it was one of the few complete Bond films that had a bit of everything.
I was lucky enough to see TSWLM at the cinema during its initial theatrical release and the entire audience cheered when the Union Jack parachute opened up.

I was lucky enough to see TSWLM at the cinema during its initial theatrical release and the entire audience cheered when the Union Jack parachute opened up.
At the risk of making you feel older than your years, I wasn't old enough to go and see Goldeneye without a responsible adult when that was released...

I missed out on all the good stuff the first time around. Tomorrow Never Dies was my first cinema trip Bond :facepalm:.

@Phil Hinton

So.... what do you consider correct tone mapping to be? I would have thought that correct would only be a TV that follows the reference curve and can display the full nit range? Anything else is surely a compromise in different areas and then becomes a matter of taste? Should TV's allow users to create a custom tone mapping curve on higher end TVs?

Finally managed to listen to this week's episode/podcast and up to your usual standard. Looking forward to Steve's forthcoming reviews on account I have the B7 on my shortlist list along with the A1 and XE93. I also want a UHD player and the Sony is frontrunner, the only negative being the lack of Dolby Vision. SACD is also important, hence this choice. I want my upgrade to be future-proofed but I am put off by the price of the Oppo.

Last edited:
To the people on the GWR train into Paddington last night - i am not a weirdo, i laughed so hard i spilled my crisps all over the seat because of a podcast about sock draws. And names on the socks. They also do AV stuff.

<end of announcement>

To the people on the GWR train into Paddington last night - i am not a weirdo, i laughed so hard i spilled my crisps all over the seat because of a podcast about sock draws. And names on the socks. They also do AV stuff.

<end of announcement>
I often get weird looks walking down the street listening to the podcast.

Please, keep up the good work

Hello gents, just came here to ask about the podcast. Looks like it's been missing for two weeks and I miss it dearly. Have I missed a meeting ? : ) Any Idea when we can expect it to come back ?

Hello gents, just came here to ask about the podcast. Looks like it's been missing for two weeks and I miss it dearly. Have I missed a meeting ? : ) Any Idea when we can expect it to come back ?
There was a two week break but the latest podcast will be going up this morning.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom