Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss:
00:00:28 – Star Wars reaches its 40th birthday on Thursday
00:03:30 – Current Competitions
00:04:36 – LG and SES test High Frame Rate broadcasting
00:06:57 – Steve takes a look at DreamScreen dynamic LED bias lighting
00:13:58 – Nintendo Switch is largest selling console in the US for second month in a row
00:19:34 – That Mitchell and Brown Look comes to TVs
00:27:23 – Steve reviews Alien: Covenant
00:34:04 – Films opening on Friday – Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar’s Revenge
00:40:07 – Blu-rays released this week – Sing, Hacksaw Ridge, Live by Night, Mulholland Drive and Lion
00:41:58 – Ultra HD Blu-ray News
00:43:14 – New trailers for Star Trek Discovery and The Orville
00:57:45 – What good documentaries have we seen recently?
01:09:26 – Goodbyes
Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:10:36 | File Size: 100mb | Direct Link

The interesting thing about the UK release of the Hacksaw Ridge UHD Blu-ray is that it comes with this inside the case:

snapshot001.jpg

Last edited:
What? They're getting too big for their boots, these AVForums people :laugh:

What next, candidates at the election? Now, come to think of it...

@Steve Withers probably has a better grasp of economics than any Chancellor that we've had in my lifetime. Then again, I have an A-Level in Economics so I reckon I probably would, too.

What a waste :(

I can also answer a straight question, unlike Teresa May, who is incapable of saying anything that isn't in her pre-programmed script. She was a fudgeing car crash on Andrew Neil.

I can also answer a straight question, unlike Teresa May, who is incapable of saying anything that isn't in her pre-programmed script. She was a fudgeing car crash on Andrew Neil.

But she is long and a table! :lesson:

Geoff Capes would have made for an excellent PM.

Last edited:
But she is long and a table! :lesson:

No wonder she didn't want to participate in the TV Leaders' debates. She's the worst PM in my lifetime.

If the Tories win but with barely any more seats than they currently have, it will be the most pointless General Election of all time. The negotiations with the EU will have to be delayed...

....so that the EU can get back off the floor from laughing so hard.

This strong stable she keeps going on about …

is that where they keep all the horses for the fox hunting? :confused:

In the talk of TV Shows with a series story arc the two that always come to mind for me are Babylon 5 (minus season 5 which I don't think they'd planned on doing) and Stargate SG1.

The long story arc has become a feature of modern-day TV drama: it's good when it works but it's not always easy to pull off and there are downsides. American Horror Story changes setting/story each series as does True Detective. I wonder if more series will take that route now...

No VAT on UHD discs then!

Be more like some sort of government subsidies on players and discs. If you're a low-income family, you'd receive a player for free. If you're unemployed, you'd get 5 UHD discs free.... the absolute worst ones, of course, in order to get you out of the house and back into work.

Vouchers for pensioners so that they can get a discount on vinyl and free Werther's Originals.

Thanks again folks I found the discussion on bias lighting useful. Think I will read up the relevant thread on AVF with a view to installing such a system. Agree about the quality of documentaries being broadcast these days ( all very grown up ) and find IMDB a useful source to find good programmes. The TV review sections on various broadsheets are also useful.

Thanks for pointing out all the interesting TV shows, which i don't have access to !! :(

I watched the Discovery trailer after your discussion. It does look like a serious war show with costumes and not much about discovering. But it's only 2 minutes!

I can't believe you didn't know incredible bongo band.

Thanks for another good listen.

MB

@Steve Withers nearly lost all credibility when he says he won't pick up Lion on disc but watch it "On TV" however he continues to buy dogs dinner UHD discs.

Lion is beautiful and deserves a viewing on BD/UHD BD on a projector.

@Steve Withers nearly lost all credibility when he says he won't pick up Lion on disc but watch it "On TV" however he continues to buy dogs dinner UHD discs.

Lion is beautiful and deserves a viewing on BD/UHD BD on a projector.

He's saving up for the latest Smurf movie (Smurfs: The Lost Village) UHD when it is released. He needs it in order to complete the set.

It's on the list :)

I'd suggest keeping a list of UHD titles you'll not be purchasing as opposed to listing all those you intend purchasing. You'd be saving yourself a small fortune in paper and ink :lesson:

Several studios are depending on you to keep them afloat over the next 12 months.

I watched the Horizon Documentary Signals from Space after learning of it here - was interesting and I enjoyed it - not sure there was any real conclusion at the end - which is I suppose inevitable - they did rattle on quite a bit about Dyson Spheres which surprised me - my only pre knowledge of Dyson Spheres coming from Star Trek Next Generation - was it the episode I think when they find Scottie crashed on the outside of one ? I think so - and that was decades ago - proves Star Trek does educate

Great pod as always....Will you be publishing a list of all those docs you mentioned as most of those peaked my interest.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom