AVForums Podcast: Episode 179 - 8th May 2017

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, May 7, 2017.

Tags:

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,720
      Maybe wait until the end of the TV series but read the book too- as a genre it isn't really my thing but I honestly rate it as one of the finest novels I've read in twenty years.

2. geogan

geogan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      Really how? Slightly different grey scales? Black levels? White levels?
      Nothing tweaking of the picture contrast/brightness settings couldn't replicate so that 90% couldn't tell the difference.

3. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +898
      Try it in Photoshop and you'll see. Colour images are very low contrast compared to true black and white images. Photoshop now has a black and white conversion filter which attempts to replicate the extreme contrast of true black and white.

4. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +866
      I purposefully held off listening to this podcast until I watched the Gadget Show first. I'm glad that they sought your advice Steve on performing a fair and accurate test for the video comparison. I really wish I could've been there to witness the full uncut analysis (I noticed that there was a split second shot of you pointing at a brighter area of the picture - presumably discussing about peak highlights).

I used to be an enormous fan of the gadget show but I have lost touch with it. I'm glad Bentley is still on the show though.

I have a feeling that I'm in the minority but I preferred Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 to the first (and I loved both). Reading the feedback on the AVforums, I think most members preferred the first.

Finally - regarding Logan Noir, Fury Road: Black & Chrome edition et al... I admit that I was initially sceptical when a B&W version was announced. However it was Ed Selley's enthusiastic review a few podcasts ago that sparked my interest. I had only ever watched the original Fury Road on blu-ray. Imagine my delight when I was given an opportunity to catch the Black & Chrome Edition on the big screen last month.

Just my personal opinion... but I thought it looked (and sounded) incredible. The picture has been reprocessed scene-by-scene / frame-by-frame. There's actually a lot more to converting colour into B&W than I had originally thought, as better explained by this article:

Converting Color Video to Black and White the Right Way

What we have is a film with intense contrast and tones; I had noticed details and highlights that weren't present the first time round. In particular, the war boys' pale complexion appeared far more startling against the black background. Let's not forget that this was the director's original vision from the beginning. The original version still possesses vivid cinematography with lovely saturated colours - the Black & Chrome version isn't replacing it. I think there is space for both to be enjoyed... just like there is space for theatrical and director's/extended cuts of films, or 2D/3D versions, depending on individual preference.

All I will say is that any of you with an OLED TV and a copy of Fury Road: Black & Chrome Edition... words cannot emphasise how insanely jealous I am right now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List