00:00:31 – News Flash – Mark finally buys a Nintendo Switch
00:02:35 – Current Competitions
00:05:07 – Latest News – Ed buys some records on Record Store Day
00:10:10 – Steve has technical issues
00:11:35 – Mark’s Game of the Month
00:13:46 – Channel 4 to launch personalised ads on All 4
00:17:42 – Ed’s Album, Playlist and Vinyl Release of the Month
00:22:34 – Steve reviews the Samsung Q8C
00:39:19 – News Update – Steve picks his Film of the Month and Phil fails to use his unlimited card yet again
00:41:55 – Films opening on Friday – Unlocked
00:42:30 – Blu-ray of the Month
00:44:02 – Blu-rays released this week – Why Him?
00:44:40 – Breaking News – Steve buys more rubbish Ultra HD Blu-rays and picks his favourite of the month
00:46:18 – And in other news – Star Wars Episode IX gets release date
00:47:26 – Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun space romp in the vein of Star Wars but what other films have managed to capture that feeling?
01:05:34 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:06:23 | File Size: 90mb | Direct Link

Thanks guys, a decent listen as always.

Disappointing to see retailers like John Lewis drinking the Samsung Kool-Aid, and actually listing the QLED branding as a distinct screen technology:

upload_2017-5-1_9-18-3.png

Samsung really are blag-artists of the highest order. First off, it was they (?) that led the "LED TV" BS charge and now there's QLED. Unfortunately, advertising/marketing budgets are a powerful tool and Joe Public (thanks in no small part to the small number of large retailers) will fall for it.

Comment of the podcast: the similarity between Diane Abbott's hair-do and Dark Helmet :rotfl:

P.S. (and leaping to the defence of @Ed Selley ) Boards of Canada are not unknown: they are a very well-established group that have been around for years, and hail from your native Scotland IIRC, Phil. The rest of you are making yourselves sound REALLY old!

Last edited:
Your assumptions about the holodeck never being utilised to its full potential are dismissed by how holosuites are depicted by Star Trek Deep Space Nine. The resident Ferengi on the station rents out holosuites by the hour and references to what may be occurring often hints at it being something you'd use to act out sexual fantasies.

Holosuite

Last edited:
The resident Ferengi on the station rents out holosuites by the hour and references to what may be occurring often hints at it being something you'd use to act out sexual fantasies

What the hell do they do with the other 58 minutes?

Back to the Samsung QLED marketing....

I'm actually surprised they went for it, since it is SOO obviously hollow and shamefully similar to OLED.
I would've expected their head of marketing to say something like "hang on fellas, this idea will actually cause us damage... a large number of people will see through it and the negative feedback on social media will null the effects of the campaign".

Back to the Samsung QLED marketing....

I'm actually surprised they went for it, since it is SOO obviously hollow and shamefully similar to OLED.

No it isn't. QLED has nothing at all to do with OLED. Samsung are simply attempting to make it look as though they have a proprietary form of OLED when in fact it is nothing more than LED/LCD. It has no similarity to or connection with OLED.

Most people haven't a clue about the technology and will take the marketing at face value. This is what Samsung are bargaining on.

Last edited:
I wonder if Samsung would have followed this route had OLED been a proprietary technology with associated trademarks? Their current QLED marketing would have breached such trademark protection. As it is, OLED is merely a generic name given to a type of TV panel so anyone can do as Samsung has done without being held accountable.

No it isn't. QLED has nothing at all to do with OLED. Samsung are simply attempting to make it look as though they have a proprietary form of OLED when in fact it is nothing more than LED/LCD. It has no similarity to or connection with OLED.
I know that... you make it sound like you're correcting me. That's exactly what I was saying.

Anyway, back on topic.... I enjoy the podcast banter as much as the content. Though I'll be honest, I fast forward through the ̶E̶a̶s̶t̶E̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶S̶p̶a̶c̶e̶ Starwars talk.

When will Nazi News be making a return to the podcasts?

Most people haven't a clue about the technology and will take the marketing at face value. This is what Samsung are bargaining on.

He means the acronym is shamefully similar not the technology so his comment is correct (as is your reason why Samsung are anti-consumer). I would have minded less if they had gone for another letter that didn't look so much like Q, reminds me of all those knock off brands you see on the markets.

Meanwhile, all the other manufacturers are trustworthy and always tell consumers the utter truth?

Samsung lack integrity, but are no more dishonest than their competitors.

The QLED thing aint illegal, but the recent bribery charges made against Samsung's Jay Y. Lee are.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, all the other manufacturers are trustworthy and always tell consumers the utter truth?

Samsung lack integrity, but are no more dishonest than their competitors.

The QLED thing aint illegal, but the recent bribery charges made against Samsung's Jay Y. Lee are.
I am not sure anyone here said that Samsung were the only ones, only that Samsung have been caught in the act with a particularly misleading example. All companies big themselves and their products up which is why we have rules around this sort of thing.

My pont was that Samsung haven't actually broken any of those rules (laws). They are perfectly within their rights to say what they've said and or use the term "QLED". The intent behind their actions is questionable, but not illegal and not in breach of any rules.

By the way, Samsung has also teamed up with HiSense and TCL to form a 'QLED Alliance', aimed at bringing the QLED trademark to other TVs.

Last edited:
Great podcast as usual

2 things
1.It's great watching old movies you loved as a kid, with your kids as you get to see it though their eyes, I've watched ET which surprisingly didn't get a mention, flight of the navigator, close encounters and many more with my son and really enjoyed them

2. if you are dumb enough to spend £4k on Tv without researching it first and buy a Qled thinking it's an Oled then more fool you

Have Dolby been informed of Samsung's new Qmos sound system yet?

No, Samsung are calling their version HDR10+ apparently. Yes, they've their own proprietary version of dynamic HDR. Amazon Video are going to support it or should that be Qflex (Qamazon?????)?

Samsung and Amazon launch HDR10+ with Dynamic Metadata

Actually I heard that! The current state of the TV market means I'll be holding onto my Kuro 600 krp for a lot longer than I ever imagined.....

For those interested, Diane Abbott still hasn't changed her hair style.

Last edited:
He means the acronym is shamefully similar not the technology so his comment is correct (as is your reason why Samsung are anti-consumer). I would have minded less if they had gone for another letter that didn't look so much like Q, reminds me of all those knock off brands you see on the markets.

Shamelessly similar the OLED and QLED, the real QLED system.

Its cleaver marketing basically the VA panels can perform on par with OLED but does not command the same price point. So why not fix the shoddy build quality and charge for the performance your getting. Only tricky bit is fooling customers they getting something new and sexy

Thanks folks for another enjoyable hour. Steve did a good job at selling Samsung's 2016 models, the QLEDs sounding like a complete waste of money. Sounds as though they are adopting the Apple business model around hype and price. Just need your review of a B/C7 and I can pull the trigger.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom