AVForums Podcast: Episode 175 - 10th April 2017

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss:

00:00:23 – Salvage Hunters, the Northern Pony Club, African artwork and sick cats!
00:06:14 – Steve reviews the Sony XE93 Ultra HD TV
00:14:57 – ZTE announces first Android TV box to support Dolby Vision
00:16:37 – Hodge reviews the Zappiti Duo 4K media box
00:24:16 – Latest news on the Xbox Scorpio mid-gen refresh
00:32:13 – AVForums TV, broadband and phone comparison tool
00:34:04 – Competitions
00:34:55 – Films opening on Friday – The Hatton Garden Job and Fast & Furious 8
00:40:33 – The Fast & Furious films have racked up £419 million in insurance claims
00:44:08 – Blu-rays released this week – Swiss Army Man, Shut In and Rogue One
00:47:32 – Ultra HD Blu-ray update
00:51:12 – Shia LaBeouf’s latest film makes £7 on its opening weekend in the UK
01:00:41 – Vote for the best movie, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray of 2016
01:03:55 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:04:53 | File Size: 88mb | Direct Link

Another excellent podcast, I'm always surprised by the lack of discussion it generates on the forum based on the amount of effort, detail , knowledge and humour that each one entails. I hope you get a lot of downloads.

I would definitely recommend Jungle Book to those who haven't seen it yet, the 3D is also very good

I never thought I would ever type these words but, in defence of Shia La Boeuf, he was clearly bored of acting in guff mainstream stuff like Transformers and fair play to him to doing some artier stuff.

Also recently he has proven himself to indeed be Indiana Jones' son by punching alt-right nazis and donating stuff to museums.

I never thought I would ever type these words but, in defence of Shia La Boeuf, he was clearly bored of acting in guff mainstream stuff like Transformers and fair play to him to doing some artier stuff.

Also recently he has proven himself to indeed be Indiana Jones' son by punching alt-right nazis and donating stuff to museums.

Apparently he had quite a troubled childhood, which may explain some of the random behaviour and bad decision making. I thought he had excellent screen presence in earlier stuff.

maybe I misheard - but surely the X Box One = PS4, XBox One S = PS 4 Pro, and the Scorpio = PS ....5 (not Scorpio = PS 4 Pro as suggested in the pod cast) ?

maybe I misheard - but surely the X Box One = PS4, XBox One S = PS 4 Pro, and the Scorpio = PS ....5 (not Scorpio = PS 4 Pro as suggested in the pod cast) ?
hmmmm, not quite.

The XBox One S is a very meagre upgrade. Not true 4K gaming (upscale only), and only a small upgrade in CPU power. And of course UHD player. But powerwise, it's pretty much the same. It was never meant to be a PS4 Pro rival. MS announced the Scorpio at the same time as the XBox S. That was their rival to the Pro announcement

The Scorpio was announced I believe around the same time as the PS4 Pro. It's just that Sony beat them to the "upgrade" earlier.

Now that there is going to be 9months plus for the release of the Scorpio and the Pro being available, that changes things a little. The power increase for the Scorpio is certainly greater than the Pro, but its no brand new Xbox, and a PS5 is not going to be released anytime soon.

I think now we might get quite a time difference between the PS5 and the next Xbox machine.

So for the time being it is going to be Scorpio Vs PS4 Pro.

hmmmm, not quite.

The XBox One S is a very meagre upgrade. Not true 4K gaming (upscale only), and only a small upgrade in CPU power. And of course UHD player. But powerwise, it's pretty much the same. It was never meant to be a PS4 Pro rival. MS announced the Scorpio at the same time as the XBox S. That was their rival to the Pro announcement

The Scorpio was announced I believe around the same time as the PS4 Pro. It's just that Sony beat them to the "upgrade" earlier.

Now that there is going to be 9months plus for the release of the Scorpio and the Pro being available, that changes things a little. The power increase for the Scorpio is certainly greater than the Pro, but its no brand new Xbox, and a PS5 is not going to be released anytime soon.

I think now we might get quite a time difference between the PS5 and the next Xbox machine.

So for the time being it is going to be Scorpio Vs PS4 Pro.

Or looking at it another way - the same hardware (for the most part) is used both in the X Box One and the One S , and guess what - the majority of the same hardware is used in the PS4 and PS4 Pro

Yes the CPU and GPU have been overclocked in the Pro (and I believe made physically smalller) but thats really just because they are using compartively old AMD designs from 2013 in cheaper fabs

Where as Scorpio is completely different internally to the One/ One S

Or looking at it another way - the same hardware (for the most part) is used both in the X Box One and the One S , and guess what - the majority of the same hardware is used in the PS4 and PS4 Pro

Yes the CPU and GPU have been overclocked in the Pro (and I believe made physically smalller) but thats really just because they are using compartively old AMD designs from 2013 in cheaper fabs

Where as Scorpio is completely different internally to the One/ One S

True but given it's still an Xbox, it still plays Xbox One games I'm not sure it can be seen as a "brand new" console. It's name is not official yet so it could well be called Xbox One Pro

But a PS5 is way off in the distance so for the short term future it will be Scorpio competing with PS4 Pro. That why Mark said what he did.

For the Fast and The Furious fans , amazing what turns up at waterloo station!
FF0.jpg
FF8.jpg

Also any news on a Blu-ray release of The Abyss or True Lies ???
I'm not sure about True Lies but The Abyss is supposed to be coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray this year, although I'll believe that when I've actually got the box in my sweaty hand.

Great podcast as per. Looking forward to the overdue review of the XB1S as a 4K Blu Ray player. With the latest update from Microsoft bringing immersive audio capability, I want to know if I am missing out much versus the standalone players.

I also look forward to the Fast and Furious submarine spinoff, 'The Slow and Ponderous'.

X Box One = PS4
X Box One S = PS4 Slim
Scorpio = PS4 Pro

The attack on Pearl Harbour with the torpedos travelling in shallow water was a result of examining the attack on Taranto.

Battle of Taranto - Wikipedia

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom