This week we discuss:

00:00:28 – The team talk white goods
00:09:34 – Competition winners
00:11:19 – Sound United buy D+M Group
00:13:52 – HDR 10 and Dolby Vision added to mobile devices
00:19:52 – Steve reviews the Sony XE90 Ultra HD 4K TV
00:30:10 – Mark reviews the Wetek Play 2 Android Media Box
00:35:49 – What’s at the cinema Steve? – Logan
00:38:57 – Films opening on Friday – The Love Witch, The Chamber, Catfight and Kong: Skull Island
00:41:26 – Blu-rays released this week – A Valley of Violence and Doctor Strange
00:42:41 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up with added HFR and Danny Dyer
01:00:35 – DVD is twenty years old this month
01:11:45 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:13:00 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link

norliss

Enjoyable stuff as always, guys. A couple of observations if I may:

1/ The podcast is very personality-driven and it's all the better for it. For this reason I think the intro/outro music is just way too generic. It also no longer matches your transition stings which were from the previous music suite.

2/ Phil - sounds like there's the world's smallest choo-choo train in the background when you talk. In fact, it reminds me of the noise that bloke made in that advert, when he was trying to pretend he was doing filter coffee rather than instant coffee. What is this, exactly?!

As for Dyson. I wouldn't buy any of their products on principle: James Dyson is a massive tosser and hypocrite.

Last edited:

Benzyl

This podcast had the whole department store this week!

As for Dyson. I wouldn't buy any of their products on principle: James Dyson is a massive tosser and hypocrite.

I agree with norliss on Dyson stick with Nick Grey and hi 33% cheaper inventions!

norliss

Oh, forgot to add my DVD nostalgia to this. My first player was a multi-region Panasonic DVD-A100, bought for the princely sum of £400 in June 1998. At the same time I ordered L.A. Confidential (Region 1) from Play.com for about £20 and bought Fargo from the local Virgin Megastore for £21.99!!

jimborae

Another great podcast, agree with comments about the new theme tune though.... doesn't suit the podcast at all.
Also MWC stands for Mobile World Congress, not Mobile World Conference.
And finally my 1st DVD players was a Toshiba of some description that I got for £199 from Seven Oaks HiFi.

ashenfie

Cant say I've been temped by the Dyson side. I purchased my Miele in the late 90s and its still running. House takes 20mins to clean and have centrally located power socket make a cable no issue, hate charging anything and that could be a good excuse for not doing the house work.The bags are quite cheap these days and are a cleaner solution, so no real issue for me.

Anyway good to know there was such a debate and a nice change from cars of the F kind. Movies new was good also. I look in again next week for sure.

Spacecat

Banned
Another great podcast and all the better for going off topic now and then to discuss chocolate and
vacuum cleaners!

I use my Dyson out of spite! most overrated pile of poo ever..with awful build quality.
When I finally have enough and chuck it out I'm getting a Miele

norliss

Oh, another thing: Ed - Miele is pronounced "Mee-ell-eh". The word means 'honey' in Italian (and Spanish, IIRC).

Edit: Honey in Spanish is 'Miel' :)

Roohster

Distinguished Member
"Can I just say I get overly excited about white good features"

Are you sure you said that Phil, it sounds more like Alan Partridge ;)

steviedr

Distinguished Member
And I thought I was the only sad ... when it comes to white goods!
I'll support Dyson, never had an issue and the suction is great, added the V8 animal to my cabled beast at Christmas - go for it Phil, battery length is decent, still cant beat being plugged in for longer power, but this thing is great for the car, stairs, hard to get to areas (under tv stand)...

I think my first dvd player was the Sony PS2 followed by a Pioneer DCS-303 Home Theater System, the 5.1 setup really made it for me, this is back when everything was silver...will it ever make a comeback?

Interesting thoughts on HFR, though the exact same while watching The Hobbit, went from being in the cinema watching a film, to being in the cinema watching a live play. I loved the realness of it, I was with them, but then it simply showed up the whole production as fake and breaking the illusion.
It will be great for those live at the ...productions they do beamed to the cinema (yet to catch one), it would be like you are there.

Dolby have done a good job in marketing, had be almost convinced DV is a must without seeing it at all.

Anyway, cheers for the podcast lads.

Andrew Rice

Enjoyable as always chaps.

My first DVD player was a Sony. I forget the model but it had the nifty feature where you could use any paused screen from a film as a screensaver. I had a zombie's guts falling out from Day of the Dead as my default screen for years.

oxfordyankee

My first DVD player was a Pioneer effort, complete with step down transformer. I wanted to stick with the same brand as I had for my Laserdisc player (I've no idea why that made sense to me at the time). It had a lovely neon blue light on the front panel (like the remotes discussed on the podcast). I got it in the US along with a copy of An American Werewolf in London, which had a cardboard and plastic case.

I still miss Ken Cranes, though :(

Last edited:

Toon Army

Thanks for this week's episode and already experiencing cold turkey at the thought of no podcast next week. Please ensure Phil has an introduction script as I dread to think what will be discussed next time.
Good to hear Steve's thoughts on the XE90 as I have the XE93 on my shortlist. The Denon 4300 is also on it so can't wait for that review as well. One request - Can you please cover the hdmi 2.1 aspect to your 4300 review and AVRs in general.
Re Danny Dyer - Can I suggest The Antiques Roadshow and chairing Question Time, especially if Piers Morgan is on the panel. With any luck, Danny would punch him!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Btw - copied from the what I watched last night thread last week...

Quarry – Sky Now (4 days left to watch it)

Thanks to this forum I managed to catch this before it leaves Sky, how could I not have heard of it.

Mac played by Logan Marshall-green (who….yes the chap from Prometheus, oh god, not Prometheus I hear you say, trust me, this guy can act) plays a Vietnam vet, just retuning from his second tour to meet a hostile crowd at the airport. A friend he returns with from the same unit excepts a significant offer from The Broker (Peter Mullan) to take someone out. He realises he is in a bit deep and so asks Mac for help. Mac gets drawn into this dark world and all hell breaks loose.

The production once again is outstanding, while I loved Mad Men, it was a bit to clean cut, this feels like you are in the 70’s, serious attention to detail and the cinematography is stunning in some episodes.

Soundtrack is also great, it has introduced me to Al Green.

There are some scenes towards the end that are stomach churning. Highly recommended 9/10 Btw - available on this forums competition thread.

Toon Army

Btw - copied from the what I watched last night thread last week...

Quarry – Sky Now (4 days left to watch it)

Thanks to this forum I managed to catch this before it leaves Sky, how could I not have heard of it.

Mac played by Logan Marshall-green (who….yes the chap from Prometheus, oh god, not Prometheus I hear you say, trust me, this guy can act) plays a Vietnam vet, just retuning from his second tour to meet a hostile crowd at the airport. A friend he returns with from the same unit excepts a significant offer from The Broker (Peter Mullan) to take someone out. He realises he is in a bit deep and so asks Mac for help. Mac gets drawn into this dark world and all hell breaks loose.

The production once again is outstanding, while I loved Mad Men, it was a bit to clean cut, this feels like you are in the 70’s, serious attention to detail and the cinematography is stunning in some episodes.

Soundtrack is also great, it has introduced me to Al Green.

There are some scenes towards the end that are stomach churning. Highly recommended 9/10 Btw - available on this forums competition thread.
Totally agree and loved Quarry. A must watch!

rickmoz

Don't know if you've seen this but on Netflix there's a HDR and HFR test called "sparks". Don't know the frame rate guessing 60fps but I was quite impressed by this.

Last edited:

dollag

Another great podcast and all the better for going off topic now and then to discuss chocolate and
vacuum cleaners!

I use my Dyson out of spite! most overrated pile of poo ever..with awful build quality.
When I finally have enough and chuck it out I'm getting a Miele

Exactly what I done and i've never looked back.... Miele all the way :clap:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Great podcast as always.

My 1st DVD player was like many, the PS2 and Matrix DVD. That combination must have surely put DVD on the map. I'm sure you guys know, but there was a format war with DVD, however, it was behind closed doors so to speak. Allegedly powers that be in Hollywood told all/both? parties to sod off and come back with a single format. People working together for the better good of the public!???! Never see those days again.

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
Thought I'd add my two pence on the DVD front,
I had a Panasonic A-110 (DTS capable) I had it imported from the states in '97 with a step down transformer it was Not multi region though.
I had to go to my local library to use their fax machine so I could send over a load of details to get the order through (simpler times indeed!)
My first DVD was Starship Troopers, I saw it playing in SRS on Shaftesbury Avenue and was stunned! It was then I knew that laser disc was doomed, having previously been totally against DVD because when I saw Jumanji playing in America the macro blocking looked horrible on a Rear Pro TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV