AVForums Podcast: Episode 170 - 27th February 2017

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we discuss:

00:01:00 – RIP Bill Paxton and Oscar predictions
00:11:23 – Current competitions
00:12:46 – Steve and Ed’s thoughts on the Bristol Sound and Vision Show
00:30:20 – The Nintendo Switch goes on sale this week but will Mark buy one?
00:41:53 – Ed talks about bonding with his new car and starts to get drunk
00:48:02 – Phil and Steve review John Wick: Chapter 2
00:57:10 – Films opening on Friday – Logan
00:59:35 – Blu-rays released this week – Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, I Daniel Blake, Train to Busan, Ouija: Origin of Evil and A Street Cat Named Bob
01:02:07 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up
01:04:40 – Star Wars News – Rogue One announced for Blu-ray, The Last Jedi starts reshoots in March and Han Solo movie moved to May 2018
01:10:31 – The new series of Top Gear starts this Sunday
01:14:45 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:16:06 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link

jimborae

The A343 is one of the best roads in Great Britain????????? Having lived in Newbury for 37 years, and know the A343 like the back of my hand,I can definitely say you need to get out a bit more Ed and discover a couple of countries called Wales & Scotland. :)

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
The A343 is one of the best roads in Great Britain????????? Having lived in Newbury for 37 years, and know the A343 like the back of my hand,I can definitely say you need to get out a bit more Ed and discover a couple of countries called Wales & Scotland. :)

As I said, there are any number of more spectacular roads but there's something about the flow of the 343 that I love- the section between Highclere and Hurstbourne Tarrant in particular.

jimborae

I was just pulling you leg but the bends are fun on that road especially when you throw in the inclines. Just wish it was better maintained. Buckled two alloys just outside Highclere last year due to the poor road surface.

Navvie

Can I ask why the music at the start and end of the podcast is so much louder than the chat? It would help greatly with my work-time listening if it was all at the same(ish) volume.

As someone who has listened to every AVForums podcast since the beginning I just wanted to say that I absolutely HATE the new theme music. The style is an overused hipster, lifestyle show/YouTube product video, production music library cliche. With that said, at least it isn't that ukulele/whistle/clap music that is used in everything these days.

Rant over.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
As someone who has listened to every AVForums podcast since the beginning I just wanted to say that I absolutely HATE the new theme music. The style is an overused hipster, lifestyle show/YouTube product video, production music library cliche. With that said, at least it isn't that ukulele/whistle/clap music that is used in everything these days.

Rant over.
OK, noted. It is only 10 seconds at the start and 20 on the end, so hopefully you can put up with that.

Can I ask why the music at the start and end of the podcast is so much louder than the chat? It would help greatly with my work-time listening if it was all at the same(ish) volume.

New iMac being used with Genelec near-field monitors and it sounded fine here. Will check and fix for next week if it is too loud.

MrMrH

For the record the TV Competition isn't eligible to people in Ireland, that seems to be the trend with the big / high-value prizes.

Chevyonfuel

Distinguished Member
Thank you chaps, good stuff :thumbsup:
I missed the Bristol show, though it appears to be in a downward spiral, certainly on the vision side. It's still a great event from the point of view of the common man getting to see and hear some of the exotic kit on offer. Maybe next year - lunchies on me if you're both there Sir Withers & Selley.
When time allows, I'll purchase some more UHD discs; I'm getting a little behind recently :facepalm:. The yee olde' technology 1080p discs though...Rogue One will be a must have on day one - missed it during the theatrical release and I'm likely to miss out on John Wick Chapter 2. It'll be a day one disc buy though. I thought the hotel element in the first film was outstanding, as a universe building idea, it was excellent and unlike any other assassin film I can remember.

Top Gear - I'm quietly confident. The team are the right ones from the assortment available, though I feel sorry for Harris a little. He's not a natural when it comes to the cocking about aspect, but he's a mighty fine motoring journalist and a cracking driver. Fingers crossed for some good fun, wonderful cinematography and great cars.

To close, some food for thought, on the fuel consumption front...

Take one slightly modified Corvette, add a 411CID TFX built by muggins:
At idle (2800rpm): 1.5 - 1.7 gallons per minute.
At 8000rpm: 21.0 gallons per minute.
One burnout and quarter mile run: Circa 12 gallons consumed.

...It makes Big Blue look like an eco-warrior :D.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
@Spoons27
I've double checked and all appears to be working correctly. Could you try forcing a refresh and see what happens? We have no control over Overcast, but they get the same feed as everyone else and that is correctly formatted, so you should be getting the correct episode.

Spoons27

Standard Member
@Spoons27
I've double checked and all appears to be working correctly. Could you try forcing a refresh and see what happens? We have no control over Overcast, but they get the same feed as everyone else and that is correctly formatted, so you should be getting the correct episode.
Yes it is sorted now I resubscribed.

kr433

Novice Member
This week we discuss:

00:01:00 – RIP Bill Paxton and Oscar predictions
00:11:23 – Current competitions
00:12:46 – Steve and Ed’s thoughts on the Bristol Sound and Vision Show
00:30:20 – The Nintendo Switch goes on sale this week but will Mark buy one?
00:41:53 – Ed talks about bonding with his new car and starts to get drunk
00:48:02 – Phil and Steve review John Wick: Chapter 2
00:57:10 – Films opening on Friday – Logan
00:59:35 – Blu-rays released this week – Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, I Daniel Blake, Train to Busan, Ouija: Origin of Evil and A Street Cat Named Bob
01:02:07 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up
01:04:40 – Star Wars News – Rogue One announced for Blu-ray, The Last Jedi starts reshoots in March and Han Solo movie moved to May 2018
01:10:31 – The new series of Top Gear starts this Sunday
01:14:45 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:16:06 | File Size: 102mb | Direct Link
Love the podcast, guys! Not a big fan of the new opening and closing music. A bit gym rockish...(stuff you hear when you walk in the gym and sounds exactly the same when you walk out)
Cheers, |||K

Toon Army

Love the podcast, guys! Not a big fan of the new opening and closing music. A bit gym rockish...(stuff you hear when you walk in the gym and sounds exactly the same when you walk out)
Cheers, |||K
That must be the first time the term " gym " has been used on AV Forums! Don't frighten the team!

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Nowt wrong with the opening and closing music. Although I fear Star Wars talk has just been replaced with car talk :laugh: - or should I say, Ford talk! :D

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
I'd like to make a complaint.

The introduction clearly stated that Mark gets excited about the Nintendo Switch release. That did NOT sound like a man excited about it's release in any way, shape or form!:laugh:

Habanero

Just wait, the next theme tune will be Mustang Sally played on a stylophone with an Atmos remix.

Toon Army

Thanks again for your weekly production. Must admit the opening music made me jump due to the volume. Agree with your thoughts on the Bristol Show. The list of missing companies is even more surprising when viewing Audo T's website. The organisers need to reverse the demise of AV equipment on display, otherwise the show will die before it's ageing audience.

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
Just wait, the next theme tune will be Mustang Sally played on a stylophone with an Atmos remix.

That's nothing. Phil hires a trumpet and bass player at the weekends to sit in the back of the Mustang and play Lalo Schifrins theme to 'Bullitt' as he drives around!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV