Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss:

00:00:35 – Has Ed’s car turned up?
00:08:14 – Current competitions
00:09:23 – Phil and Steve’s thoughts on the Panasonic European Convention
00:44:00 – What’s Ed looking forward to at the Bristol Show?
00:52:09 – Phil uses his unlimited card to see The LEGO Batman Movie
00:58:23 – Films opening on Friday – Patriots Day and A Cure for Wellness
01:01:56 – Blu-rays released this week – Inferno, Free State of Jones, I Am Not a Serial Killer, A Man for All Seasons and Journey to the Far Side of the Sun
01:08:04 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up
01:08:48 – Are Disney about to test the Ultra HD Blu-ray waters?
01:11:41 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:12:45 | File Size: 91mb | Direct Link

Man, I haven't had a KFC in years, but that picture is making me hungry!

I appreciate your comments on this morning’s podcast about HDR10 on a decent screen, I guess until we have a proper side by side DV v HDR10 on a decent panel, we won’t know if it’s a bad move on Panasonics part, but it’s the only fly in the ointment I can see and it will harm sales.
I had assumed if they change their mind, and go for DV in 2018 (and it sounds like they might if they are monitoring), they could upgrade the 2017 panels (like Sony on the Z9D), but from what Phil said this morning, its sounds like that’s not possible which is again, disappointing.
Was that comment just a thought, or has it been confirmed (clinging to the hope :)?
Once again, I am one of the sheep who see DV as important as in theory its sounds good, marketing team did a good job. My concern is, with dynamic HDR coming this year, maybe DV is not as important, but from what I am lead to believe Dynamic HDR requires HDMI 2.1 and if the EZ952b can't be upgraded from 2.0b to 2.1 (I know it may be able to), well...
Of course 95% of content I will be watching this year wont have it anyway, but one always tries to future-poof a little!

Great podcast as ever chaps!

nice podcast, always love that it drops on a Monday! nice to see Phil getting back into vinyl when his new deck eventually drops, as I've only recently discovered it...it will be nice to see how the disney UHDs scenario plays out, but i wouldn't be surprised if the plug gets pulled by disney without warning, but you never know!

Was that comment just a thought, or has it been confirmed?

From what I am lead to believe Dynamic HDR requires HDMI 2.1 and if the EZ952b can't be upgraded from 2.0b to 2.1
That was confirmed by Panasonic.
As for HDMI, Panasonic seemed very confident they would be able to upgrade 2.0b to 2.1.

That was confirmed by Panasonic.
As for HDMI, Panasonic seemed very confident they would be able to upgrade 2.0b to 2.1.
Thanks for the confirmation, with every cloud .... :)

Love the show. Shame you chaps don't care so much about your car choice as you do your Tech...
Hope the UK versions are the same spec as the US versions.
Check out the brilliant John Cadogan's youtube channel.

Has he suffered a stroke at some point? It's like the video has been spliced together word by word but apparently, that's how he talks.

Love the show. Shame you chaps don't care so much about your car choice as you do your Tech...
Hope the UK versions are the same spec as the US versions.
Check out the brilliant John Cadogan's youtube channel.

May it's good that they only do AV reviews then? Drive carefully boys

The extra-long run pod casts are fine by me. I always play them as background at work, replay any bits that are particularly interesting. For example, the price of fast food in the 80s. :)

Why is there an LCD shortage?

Love the show.
Thanks.
LOL the self proclaimed car expert in that video knows diddly squat about cars, or the results of the NCAP tests. But he can swear and that's cool ;)
I'm more than happy with my vehicle choice and it seems everyone who see's it thinks the same given the number of times I am approached to talk about it, or asked if they can take a photo etc. So it doesn't have radar cruise, lane assist or other nanny toys so is marked down for it. Crash wise the front passengers do fine, which is all there will be in my car. Also, I didn't know what the rating was when I bought it and it doesn't bother me now.
Also what the ole Aussie guy forgets to ask is where are the Porsche, Audi RS, Mercedes AMG and BMW M car NCAP results? Oh yeah, the Euro NCAP don't test those, I wonder why? (It would also spoil his swearing conspiracy rant).

Love the podcast -listen to it every week (even when its got absolutely nothing to do with AV for 75% of it hahaha) but I completely disagree about the THX / DV connundrum

Remember these premium tv's arent going to be bought (for the most part) by 20 somethings who arent aware of THX at all - its going to be people who are that bit older who actually remember THX (and might not even know about DV, even if they do mentally click its got something to do with "the sound people")

I actually agree that THX as a company has lost relevance to those of us in the know who follow AV like a religion (had to get the force in here somewhere) , but I still think the branding will be recognised by alot that all of you in the podcast are not giving credit for.

Just for the record this isnt anything against Dolby, maybe its time (with "Vision") is still coming and will be apparant in the next year or so - but just that recognisable logo of THX has always been a marker of quality for the most part and DV is just irrelevant

.....or even those in the know could even compare DV to DTS - who says that after a few years DV wont have completely disappeared (Im sure we have all bought equiipment with the latest buzzword on it, like SACD as mentioned as an aside, only to find that functionality was never used at all).

Thanks.
LOL the self proclaimed car expert in that video knows diddly squat about cars, or the results of the NCAP tests. But he can swear and that's cool ;)
I'm more than happy with my vehicle choice and it seems everyone who see's it thinks the same given the number of times I am approached to talk about it, or asked if they can take a photo etc. So it doesn't have radar cruise, lane assist or other nanny toys so is marked down for it. Crash wise the front passengers do fine, which is all there will be in my car. Also, I didn't know what the rating was when I bought it and it doesn't bother me now.
Also what the ole Aussie guy forgets to ask is where are the Porsche, Audi RS, Mercedes AMG and BMW M car NCAP results? Oh yeah, the Euro NCAP don't test those, I wonder why? (It would also spoil his swearing conspiracy rant).
:clap::thumbsup: I'll pass your wise words onto him so he can add you to nut friday, can't wait to see that.

I'm not sure why some feel the need to dig some one out over their choice of car

Green eyed monster perhaps, if he's happy with his purchase what's it to you

I'm not sure why some feel the need to dig some one out over their choice of car

Green eyed monster perhaps, if he's happy with his purchase what's it to you
You're so correct, I'm racked with Jealously and not just poking fun. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Had a brief look through the output of Mr Cadogan last night. I think I've got his likes and dislikes squared away now;

Things John likes;
Hyundais
The sound of his own voice
Hysteria

Things John dislikes;
All other cars
Simple sentences
Risk assessment

He's a bit like Cosmo Landesman the Sunday Times film critic who holds that role despite actively hating films.

Had a brief look through the output of Mr Cadogan last night. I think I've got his likes and dislikes squared away now;

Things John likes;
Hyundais
The sound of his own voice
Hysteria

Things John dislikes;
All other cars
Simple sentences
Risk assessment

He's a bit like Cosmo Landesman the Sunday Times film critic who holds that role despite actively hating films.
He also likes Subaru & Mazda 8)

I don't mind John's reviews despite his rants and OTT swearing. I think the Mustang video was a wind up (which has worked) as the Mustang is a huge success in Australia too. Most people won't care about the crash rating nor will it away anyone who wants a RWD 2 door V8 not made in Germany.

Good podcast too by the way gents.

On a different tangent. It seems I'll forever remain the sole non UK resident prize winner (games podcast prize winner).

Great podcast gents. After I heard new V8 mustang at weekend the neighbour hate versus that glorious sound only has one winner:thumbsup:

Thanks folks for another enjoyable podcast/ramble/rant.

I think a key factor behind manufacturers providing simpler line ups is the demise of curved and 3D TVs. Hopefully we won't get model numbers now that look like chemical equations. When discussing air crashes, it would have been great had Phil knocked over one of the panels in Frankfurt as that could have led to a domino effect having watched your video report.

Somewhat sceptical about this week's Bristol show and the " Vision " element is very negligible as highlighted by Steve and checking the exhibitors' list. Can you suggest an alternative public show that delivers more on the vision aspect, otherwise we are even more reliant on retailers and the lottery of finding a competent member of staff who is better informed about kettles!

Some good counselling at the end around Steve's UHD addiction. Suggest Phil and Steve have the same weekly allowance to spend on discs and petrol for the Mustang.

Last edited:
Suggest Phil and Steve have the same weekly allowance to spend on discs and petrol for the Mustang.

Excellent idea- I say £20 a week plus any money they find on the floor.

They might give you a £20 vinyl allowance!

That's not massively dissimilar to a normal spend from me- I bet you I get more for my £20 too. Plus I'm a bloody legend at finding money on the floor.

I found it quite amusing that Phil had his neighbours interest at heart when he didn't leave his car ticking over to warm up............but didn't bat an eyelid when watching Deepwater Horizon with the Atmos soundtrack displaying roof tile removing potential!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom