AVForums Podcast: Episode 161 - 5th December 2016

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,132
      This week we discuss:

00:00:34 – Where has the year gone?
      00:03:21 – Current competitions and winners
      00:04:10 – Virgin Media launch new Ultra HD 4K box
      00:11:30 – Monitor Audio acquire Roksan
      00:13:50 – Q Acoustics announce new high-end speaker
      00:19:52 – Steve reviews the Hisense K5510 Ultra HD TV
      00:27:59 – Phil’s final thoughts on the Sony VW550 4K projector
      00:45:03 – Films opening this Friday – Office Christmas Party, Snowden, I Am Not a Serial Killer and Birth of a Nation
      00:52:54 – Blu-rays released this week – Suicide Squad, The Shallows, Planet Earth II, Pete’s Dragon, Absolutely Fabulous, Ice Age Collision Course, Kickboxer: Vengeance, Jessica Jones Season 2 and Fear the Walking Dead Season 2
      00:59:38 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Update
      01:02:56 – Star Wars News
      01:12:10 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:12:55 | File Size: 100mb | Direct Link

• Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • List
    2. EL Dukeo

EL Dukeo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +352
      Bit of a random question but at around 1.01 when Steve is talking about a new uhd release what is the film he mentions? I've rewound it like 10 times but just cant make out what he says apart from it ending in 2.

3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,944
      Planet Earth II is getting a UHD BD release in the US, no word on a UK one yet but it does come out on regular BD today.

4. Ten80p

Ten80p
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +205
      Thanks again chaps, shame about us projector users getting the raw end of tech with regards to brightness etc in 4k, I'll just have to stick with my crappy old JVC X70 I guess.
      Let's hope next months CES comes up with something.

5. hankcharlie

hankcharlie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Hi Phil, I'm just wondering will you be posting a review of the Sony VW550 4K projector soon by any chance please? I have one ordered and am really looking forward to your opinion/review. Many thanks!

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,115
      I don't want to sound ungrateful because I absolutely love the podcast and appreciate the time and effort you put into it, but the audio is really patchy again this week. Steve was particularly unintelligible a lot of time*.

Do you mind if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion for a different methodology which is used by a number of other podcasts?

That suggestion is... Don't try to record the Skype conversation. Use Skype (or whatever) for your discussion, but each participant captures their own audio locally. At the end of the podcast, e-mail the captured files and merge them in an audio editor. Any modern smartphone (especially iPhones) have superb microphones so you won't need any extra kit or even need to mess around with your computers.

I guess you do some final editing anyway before publication so it's a minor extra step. I think you'll be blown away by the difference.

* yes, I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere...

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,132
      We don't have the time to record and mix separate strands of audio, a technique we did use for a while a few years ago. It also has it's own issues with files dropped or not usable so the whole thing is ruined and you don't know that until its finished. While the podcast is enjoyable to produce and a nice to have feature, it needs to be done quickly so we can also produce the other content on the site. Thanks for the suggestion.
      There were a few issues this week but I think I have them solved going forward.

8. soupdragon

soupdragon
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,407
      Its going to be a bit of a wait for proper 4k projection with proper high brightness HDR. I too have (had) an X70 but I've literally just sold the X70 and bought a new super bright quantum DOT 60 inch Samsung TV and a used JVC X3 with the sale proceeds. I'm not quite ready to give up projection just yet (although it may happen in the near future) which is why I got the X3 as a fall back option, but I wanted to give proper HDR a try too, so this will give me something to tinker with for a while. Like a stepping stone towards dropping the projector and going ultra large TV instead (ie, 80 inches or more)

You can already get a half decent 70 inch 4k Samsung TV for less than £1.5k now so it might not be too long a wait before ultra sized TV's are available for the price of a 4k projector.

But my plan is to run a dual set up for a while, normal projector and HDR TV and see how it feels 6-12 months down the line.

9. Ten80p

Ten80p
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +205
      Agree but TV's just don't cut it with me due to size, it's a huge compromise for me..Bright Image but small screen over not so bright but huge screen size, mine at present is 10ft across (why do people still measure projection screens diagonally?!) hoping with the new refit at home to go 12ft. And I'm not showing off saying abput size, it is what it is.

10. soupdragon

soupdragon
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,407
      Thats a great screen size and yes, there is no TV in the world is going to replicate that. Even if they built a TV that size, it would still look totally different, with one being a direct lit display and the other being a reflective display.

My last set up was similar, 63sq foot screen (there's another way of measuring it ;) ) in a dedicated room but in my new place, I'm using a 104" react screen in a normal type room. Even after 2 years, I still haven't got used to the smaller screen, its just not the same as a 'huge' screen. There's nothing better than a big screen set up with a reflective screen, gives it that proper 'real cinema' feel, aka, a smaller version of a real cinema. IMO you need to be 130" and above in terms of screen size to get that feel at home. My current room just isn't practical/allowed by SWMBO which is why I'm considering the big TV route instead.

11. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,321
      @Phil Hinton

You put Steve on the spot about would he buy the Hi-Sense. So you YOU buy the Epson over the Sony or JVC you were also talking about. In a bat cave scenario, would you buy it to replace your JVC if you felt the next JVC you would want to buy might not be worth the price.

I only ask as IF my garage repurposing ever comes to fruition, it will have to be on a reduced budget and if I have to compromise is the Epsom that compromise?

Otherwise great podcast again. Sound good UHD discs, that along with the Oppo UDP-203, could mean it's yet another expensive purchase that needs to be justified/not talked about/just plain hidden, from the missus.

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,027
      Excellent podcast as per usual

The Hisense 65 inch decent 4k hdr tv that some people are picking up for sub £700 is going to massively shake up the tv market...great choice for the consumer right now

I must say that in pretty underwhelmed by the upcoming star wars movie based on the trailers I've seen. I also just watched inferno and both me and the missus thought felicity Jones was wooden and annoying the whole movie which doesn't bode well either for rogue one :(

13. Habanero

Habanero

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +406
      If you want to hear how bad things can get, console yourself by listening to the PC Pro podcast episode 399 at the link below. To think that these guys are supposedly technology experts!

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:243641157/sounds.rss

14. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,132
      No. As it stands if I had the money it would still be the JVC X7000, just. My reasoning. I am still watching more 1080p BDs and streaming than 4K material like UHD BD, so for me the JVC still makes perfect sense in terms of image quality. Next year may yield a different response ;)

15. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,321
      Ha ha yeah I stopped listening to that lot years ago. (Think it was these guys anyway). Considering their background and current jobs it was embarrassingly bad.

16. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +827
      @Steve Withers with regards to the 3050 pass through are you referring to the 4K mode which is set incorrectly from the factory for HDR?

No idea why Yamaha chose to have it in mode 2 as a default and bury it in the advanced setting mode (which is only accessible from the front panel).

Once you changed that setting did it pass HDR as expected?

17. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,944
      Yes Scott that's exactly what I was referring to but God knows why Yamaha thought setting the A3050 to not pass HDR was a good idea or why the ability to change the setting is buried in a menu that can only be accessed from the front panel!

18. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +827
      Thanks Steve. Once that's changed did it pass HDR signals without clipping etc? I have connected my UDH player directly and don't see any difference but i cant check properly without HDR test patterns.

19. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,944
      Yes once you've set the A3050 into Mode 1 it passes HDR without any problems, I checked with some test patterns.

20. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      Thanks again chaps for another good podcast and a couple of very comprehensive reviews. I am a few years off building a man cave and it is very useful hearing your projector discussions to build up my knowledge, albeit Hisense's prices for large screens and the impact on the market does bring a new dimension. I do accept that the viewing experience is totally different.

Somewhat surprised to hear that Steve has finally kicked his UHD habit. Who changed your mind - Wife, Doctor or Bank Manager? Dread to think how many discs you buy in Las Vegas.

My sympathies to Ed in advance for the podcast edition on 19th December, when Phil and Steve drool over Rogue One. Can I suggest you add an item to the running order about vinyl sales as they were more than digital downloads last week - £2.4m v £2.1m

Tables turned as vinyl sales overtake digital sales for first time in UK

At least Ed will feel a part of the podcast, albeit some of the Top 10 selling discs are surprising - Busted and Now that's what I call Christmas!

21. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,675
      I'll just Irish up my podcast coffee and remind them all it's my birthday on the Sunday.

22. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      Careful as you may get one of Steve's unwanted/crap UHD discs gift wrapped!

23. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +193
      Anyway the op can start using Tunein so we can stream the podcast to echo or other devices ?
      At the moment I have to either download the podcast and then re-upload it to amazon music to have the convenience of listing through my Amazon echo or simply use the browser.
      Or is there another service for this ? I don't use itunes bloatware btw.

Or is there an easy alternative ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    24. nomster

nomster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23
      Nice show as ever ta! Hisense looks to be a make to keep an eye on.

As per the musings on who would play yourselves in a Sully style air disaster movie and why you guys would be featured in the first place - along with your battery scenario it could be that one of you caused the plane electronics to go haywire whilst trying to recalibrate the seat-back screens to within 65% of Rec. 2020.

Just a thought...

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List