1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Podcast: Episode 159 - 21st November 2016

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Nov 20, 2016.

Tags:

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,646
      That's an apocalypse I can get behind.

2. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,440
      Oh man, that rant at the end about bikes and horses, was pissing myself laughing :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    3. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +516
      Mind the horses, or is that milk them? I'm not sure now. Maybe the horse meat scandal wasn't a scandal after all? As I laughed my rear off, there were people staring at me from all around. This is unmissable entertainment and during some of the most stressful times in my life, this is such blissful relief. Thank you, and please keep it up!

@Phil Hinton Ha, for a minute there I thought you said that you'd upgraded to Windows 7 to do the editing, when I swear this was an 8-bit recording done on an Atari STe. I was thrown back to all the ringing and gritty issues I used to have with sampling and music Trackers back in the late 80's/early90's. Just having a small nostalgic moment there.

Just something else to throw in the mix, is it time to ditch Skype for Viber or something?

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +958
      another top podcast entertaining and informative

based on the whole rapidly changing TV market , UHD,HDR,HGL,WCG,NITS,GAMMA (is that just for the hulk movies?) and lots of other acronyms I don't fully understand and the fact that nothing looks like it will be fully settled and agreed any time soon .....I hope my old kuro 600 KRP gives a few more years service .....in the sad event that packs up

I would get something like the Hisense as a good 'filler' until its all clearer

amazingly my good old Panny plasma TH42P is still doing stirling service in the bedroom must be 10 years old by now

5. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +747
      Literally a few minutes after listening to this podcast (regarding the out-of-frame 3D of Ghostbust3rs), this image pops up on my Facebook feed (from IMAX):

imaxframe.jpg

So I take it it's a similar thing, which seems like a good idea to utilise leftover screen space on a 16:9 TV (as well as an IMAX). Wonder if this'll be a growing trend?

Also - a wee while away yet - will you guys have time to visit the Las Vegas Dolby Cinema at AMC Town Square 18, when you're at CES? I'm just thinking, seeing how rare Dolby Cinemas are and there's one in town. I'm not sure if you's have been to one already (I'm itching to find an excuse to book a ticket to the Netherlands just to visit their Dolby Cinema).

Many thanks for a brilliant podcast.

6. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,572
      Yes that's exactly what happens on the Ghostbusters Blu-ray, so maybe it is a new trend. Ang Lee did something similar in the flying fish sequence in Life of Pi.

7. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +515
      Not sure why @Phil Hinton believes that black Friday isn't as popular in the UK as previously? I've had an email from pretty much every on line retailer i've ever bought from in the past week, plus the shop windows of Oxford St are chock a block with black Friday signs.

Funnily enough none of them appear to be particularly related to Friday, though !

Believe me, i wish it wasn't the case, but like customer service, high production TV drama and obesity, what happens in the US always happens here...

MB

8. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +542
      Donald Trump = Nigel Farage.

9. Nostromo71

Nostromo71

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +330
      The Simpsons didn't actually predict a Trump presidency in the way that escalator meme leads you to believe. President Trump was mentioned by Lisa Simpson in a 2002 episode, but there was no image of him in that episode. The still used for the recent meme was created after Trump announced he was running for office and after the picture of him on the escalator was taken.

10. Nostromo71

Nostromo71

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +330
      Personally, I think the future for the Internet is bleak. In 20 years time, the Internet is likely to resemble a Sky+ subscription package, with all the 'nasty' stuff being blocked by governments who are afraid of the power that the internet gives the great unwashed. Bit by bit our Internet freedoms will be eroded away in the name of National Security and protecting our children. It's already started here in the UK.