Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AVForums Podcast: Episode 156 - 24th October 2016

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 23, 2016.

Tags:

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,011
      This week we discuss:

00:00:33 – What did we think of the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 teaser trailer?
      00:02:12 – Current Competitions
      00:03:45 – Razer buy THX but is the name still relevant?
      00:16:50 – Nintendo reveal their new Switch
      00:25:53 – Steve gives his first thoughts on the Panasonic UB700 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
      00:28:37 – Sound Advice – Ed explains how to set up a turntable
      00:33:16 – Films opening this week – Doctor Strange
      00:36:58 – Blu-rays released this week – Gods of Egypt, TMNT: Out of the Shadows, The Man Who Fell to Earth, One Million Years B.C. and Kid’s Return
      00:38:50 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round Up
      00:43:43 – Netflix and Amazon are outspending many of the established broadcasters
      00:54:44 – Which films have made the best use of a pop song soundtrack?
      01:07:47 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright.

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:08:51 | File Size: 92mb | Direct Link

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    2. rickmoz

rickmoz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +268
      @Steve Withers , I went in blind too and bought the PS VR and it's amazing. Recommend a game called thumper. It's a rythem action and works perfect in VR

3. Nostromo71

Nostromo71

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +336
      My local Tesco has UHD Bluray's as well, but in the usual shambolic Tesco way, they have them mixed in with the regular Bluray's. This is going to do nothing but create confusion amongst the great unwashed. The only way UHD Bluray is going to take off in any meaningful way is if DVD's start being phased out, like they should have been, 5 years ago.

4. Jessica Noir

Jessica Noir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +311
      Not to take away from your point about Netflix using word of mouth Steve, but Five USA showed the first two seasons of Breaking Bad in the middle of the night back in december 2008 and 2009. They even had specially recorded promos with Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul in character explaining the show. That's where all the cool kids discovered it, and the lack of other seasons drove up the blu-ray importing and torrenting. Well done Channel 5!

5. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      Thanks, I didn't know that, although I was living abroad at the time. I discovered Breaking Bad thanks to a friend lending me his DVDs.

6. Essoman

Essoman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +569
      Anyone know why The man who fell to earth has been remastered in 4K and then only released on Blu Ray and not UHD?

7. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,201
      Yeah the display logic for Tesco's UHD discs is frankly, disgusting. ZERO effort. I know they will be testing the waters, but it's only going to confuse people and lead to lack of sales. Have a new display board actually, you know, promote UHD!

As Phil said, they will disappear once stacks have gone. TBO I think their Blu Ray range is appalling. The times I've gone in looking for a TV show or film (mostly TV though) and they only have it on DVD. I dont know the last time I bought a disc from Tesco or any supermarket. It's all been online.

I actually discovered it the illegal way. Saw the 1st season late on in the shows run an illegal TV streaming site. That got shut down very quickly and got the rest on DVD, then watched the final seasons on Netflix as they were aired so quickly after the US airing.

But it did get horrible treatment on terrestrial though. or too expensive and lack of viewing figures.

I have the limited edition Barrel set on Blu Ray that I keep meaning to go back to. I know Netflix has it, but that means trying to get the bandwidth to watch it, and that isn't easy in my household!

I might get a huge amount of crap for this, but what Lucas film was Steve on about the soundtrack? Nothing is popping up in my tiny little head.

8. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      American Graffiti

9. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,201
      Thanks. Must have missed you mentioning.

10. mrmrh

mrmrh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +69
      The advantage that Netflix has is that it's hard to see why anyone would bother pirating their content, it's available everywhere and the subscription cost is acceptable.
      Amazon on the other hand must suffer from the limited number of countries that can actually watch their shows.

11. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,201
      And it can cost more too.

The caveat to both services are that unless it's their own content, programs can disappear. This can be really annoying if you've only just started watching.

Amazon off some content for Prime for just a limited period. Miss it and you then have to pay for it.

And we are still waiting for Sony to offer their 4K streaming service too. It's all very well to not offer a player and instead to offer a streaming service, but thats only worth a damn if you offer it to all countries.

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +984
      Excellent podcast

I'm with Phil on the Matrix, I have deleted the 2nd one from my memory and never watched the 3rd

I remember using the huge gun fight scene with all the glass to demo my surround sound kit over and over

13. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +546
      Another enjoyable podcast at what I thought was delivered at quite a sedate pace.

Great observations from Ed in relation to last of the summer wine and polished t***s!

Idea for the next competition - What film will Phil next watch with his cinema pass?

Looking forward to Ed's next turntable article as I resurrect my old Technics from the loft.

Any thoughts on producing an article on audio in motor vehicles? Let's face it, some people do most of their listening whilst on the road and if buying their car from new, could be tempted by some of the sound systems offered by manufacturers. Could be a good excuse to get some dealers to lend you a car for a week.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    14. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +772
      That was a fascinating insight into the history of pop music in films and the rise of movie albums. Thanks for that.

One very recent soundtrack, which I would say is up there with the likes of Pulp Fiction, Guardians of the Galaxy et Al, is the Swiss Army Man soundtrack.

The music is (I think) completely A Cappella and comprises of standalone songs and a musical score. The compositions are technically astonishing, utilising a sophisticated mix of percussion, bass and meoldic layers (all using vocals) to create eerily hypnotic tracks. I could listen to that album on random; it is utterly brilliant and part of the reason I enjoyed the film so much (which is in my personal top 10 this year).

15. meep

meep

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +103
      Competitions :-(

Love the podcasts and listen when I can. However, there's one major annoyance around competitions. Take this week for example;

In the competitions segment, the first three prizes offered were Lion in Winter, Buired Child, and The Guv'nor. All were explicitly called out as being open to all members. However, when I logged on to enter these competitions, I found that I was ineligible as I was outside the territory.

Now, I understand that some prizes will have geographic restrictions, that's fine. But I don't think you should state these as open to all members on the podcast. It would be great if you would flag prizes when mentioned as being UK only so members like me don't waste our time.

Keep up the good work.

16. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,848
      Sorry about that, most of our competitions are open to UK, Republic of Ireland and Isle of Man residents, I didn't actually realise that some are only open to UK residents, we'll make that clear in future.

17. mrmrh

mrmrh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +69
      Yeah, the joys of living in Ireland, I discovered that back when Scan (I think) was giving away a Yamaha 3040 and just haven't bothered much with the competitions since - plenty else here to focus on.
      As annoying as that is it's worse when you spot the Amp and Speakers for sale in the UK but the store won't ship outside Mainland UK or to Postal Forwarders - particularly annoying if the product has no distributors here or is just downright overpriced.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    18. meep

meep

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +103
      I've used Parcels NI for this kind of thing in the past. They collect and deliver across Ireland, NI and UK.

For example, just last week I purchased a pair of B&W CDM-7NTs from the forum here. Parcels NI picked them up in Essex and delivered to me in Monaghan for ~€50. Not too bad for 2x large 24Kg boxes. They even arrived a day ahead of scheduled delivery.

Especially useful now that exchange rate is in our favour for purchasing.

19. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +546
      Wait until Brexit!