AVForums Podcast: Episode 153 - 3rd October 2016

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,061
      This week we discuss:

00:00:50 – It’s the 400th Podcast but what’s more surprising is how much Ed knows about football!
      00:07:00 – Current Competitions
      00:09:34 – First fully-loaded Kodi box related trial hits UK courts
      00:14:35 – BBC iPlayer will require a login from 2017
      00:25:06 – Spotify in talks to buy Soundcloud
      00:28:24 – Mark updates us on developments in HDR gaming
      00:36:33 – Steve reviews the Hisense H65M5500 Ultra HD TV
      00:43:10 – Films opening this week – The Girl on the Train
      00:44:26 – Blu-rays released this week – Money Monster, The Martian Extended Cut, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Daredevil Season 1 and Star Wars Rebels Season 2
      00:46:05 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-Up
      00:47:03 – Star Wars News
      00:49:55 – Jon Faverau to direct a live-action version of The Lion King
      00:56:30 – Upcoming October reviews
      01:01:08 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright.

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:01:51 | File Size: 88mb | Direct Link

• Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • List
    2. Ten80p

Ten80p
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +205
      Thanks again, especially enjoyed the Kodi part, still amazes me that Kodi (aka XMBC Started 2004) as you said has just really hit the news, just goes to show how out of touch some broadcast companies are.
      Also Timothy Dalton is only 9yrs younger than Sir Anthony Hopkins...

3. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,434
      nice podcast, i'm building a small collection of UHD films now so the sooner oppo get there deck out the better, so really looking forward to the Forums review of my next machine mentioned in the podcast :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    4. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,232
      Yeah its the Oppo player for me. So best start looking for those UHD discs. If only we knew someone with a collection who can tell us the best ones. I sure someone on the podcast would know of such a person?! :laugh::laugh: Be good to listen to my SACD discs too. I paid a fair amount for Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here and have never listened to it since my old DVD/SAVD player went belly up.

Yeah its a shame Kodi's name is being dragged through the mud. Very irresponsible "journalism" especially since so many reading or hearing about this will have no idea what Kodi is and will just associate piracy with their name.

I really hope with Star Wars that Disney will take a gamble with some of the stories, be it the main ones or the others. With 4 unmade ones now, there is plenty room for a risk or two.

Cant wait for Ed's reveal on Yamaha's secret!

Now this might be a stupid question, but this is regarding HDR gaming. While I totally appreciate the WCG is a must for this HDR gaming and so you will need a capable TV of course, I dont see how HDR part comes into it? Sure you can just design HDR into a game anyway with the wider colour gamut? A bright pixel here, some detail in the shadows there? HDR in film means displaying as much detail as the camera can pick up and adding brightness and darkness in the same frame by intention and it all being able to be displayed. Surely that can all be done when your creating each and very frame by hand so to speak when you have WCG to work with?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    5. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,012
      We are going to get Starwarred out of our brains over the next few years ....not in a good way

6. steve a

steve a

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +117
      Congratulations on the 400th podcast , it was as informative, witty ,educational and a joy to listen to as ever.Cheer's fella's.
      Were there any celebrity deaths in September?

7. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,012
      congratz on the 400th episode ,its my one must listen every week

8. Tef

Tef

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      Congratulations on the 400th podcast. nice to have weekly podcast for monday to kick start the week.

by the way, is there any plan to review the xbox S as a UHD bluray player? i think a lot of people is hoping to get it as a low entry point UHD bluray player. Cheers.

9. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +563
      May I join in offering my congratulations on the 400th podcast - It has changed so much ( for the better ) since the first edition with Jason Bradbury. Whatever happened to the film reviewer from those early episodes?

Never thought I would hear a discussion on gout amongst the various interesting subjects discussed this week.

Re Kodi, XMBC etc and addons - Is it illegal to watch foreign TV stations and their broadcasts of UK sport?

Interesting to hear about Spotify sniffing around Soundcloud and I hope that they do not spoil it as it provides a useful outlet for smaller artists, mixes etc. It would also make sense for Spotify to look at Soundhound with the obvious integration of their respective search and catalogue functions for example.

No sympathies for anyone who buys an Apple watch – There is no sustainable future for these devices and they have quickly become a gimmick destined for ebay and/or a drawer in the kitchen.

Can't wait for all the forthcoming reviews, especially the Oppo ( on my shortlist ), albeit we need far more quality films to be released on UHD, not withstanding Steve's attempt to prop up the industry. It will be interesting to see if UHD discs are released at the same time as the blu-ray versions in the future. The Denon AVR X3300 review also interests me, albeit I have the 4300 in my sights. I then have to find a screen, but that will be post CES next year and your combined thoughts ( no pressure! ).

Keep up the good work!:clap:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    10. mrmrh

mrmrh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +70
      I stopped wearing a watch for years when I got a phone but after going back I realised how quick it is to glance at your wrist instead of having to pull increasingly large phones out of your pocket, plus in 5 years I've never had to charge it which is doing much better than all 5 cellphones I've had over the same duration.

As bad as the idea of the TV license is in the UK at least the BBC doesn't have ads like we have to put up with here in Ireland, the license is the main reason I don't actually have a TV at the moment. Interestingly a projector is exempt so if I could solve the logistics issues (decent rollable AT screen, mounting, wiring for power/signal/sound) I might get one of those instead of a TV. At least back in NZ they got rid of the TV license in 1999 (though maybe they were just scared their database wasn't Y2K compliant).

If the BBC went with Ed's idea of putting their whole back catalog on iPlayer and also allowed the live stream to be accessible from everywhere I would happily pay for a login, would have come in useful during the Olympics.

11. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,232
      I'm about to purchase a multi thousand pound watch that'll out last a smart watch by decades. Can't wait to wear a watch again having been without one for years. As you say fetching a large phone out just to see the time is getting rather silly.

As for the back catalogue BBC idea that the guys have been saying for years, it's typical of a draconian organisation not to see the wood for the trees. I pay the licence fee but refuse to buy BBC's content as their prices are ridiculous. They have 10000's of hours of content that is making them sod all money. Go Netflix for Christ sake. Open it all up, back catalogue, live TV, world wide for a monthly fee.

All they do is complain about being squeezed for budget reductions. Do something about it. It's an archaic system that has no business in these times.

12. is1111

is1111

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +237
      @Steve Withers will you be reviewing the hisense m7000's anytime? be interesting to hear if the uled and local dimming resolve any of the issues on the cheaper 5500/5510 you mention on the podcast.

13. brydo666

brydo666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +103
      Perhaps the projector is exempt as it doesn't have a tuner built in, if you connected a STB you may need a TV License? I don't know, just a thought.

14. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,902
      Hopefully we'll be reviewing the M7000 soon.

15. mrmrh

mrmrh

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +70
      The legislation here is based off the ability to receive a TV signal, so anything with a tuner will put you in their sights.

16. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,232
      When I got this year's NFL Game Pass, they said even live streams from the U.S required a licence.

17. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,398
      It's a grey area but I'm fairly certain it's not illegal to view them (at least I bloody hope not) but you might be breaking some T&C's of your ISP.