AVForums Podcast Christmas Special: The Best of 2021

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week the entire team are back for our end of year extravaganza! We go over the best 4K Ultra HD discs, home cinema hardware, gaming releases, the best albums of 2021 as well as our home cinema experiences and visits to the actual cinema. Plus, we’ll answer your questions.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley, Cas Harlow, Tom Davies, Rick Henderson, Greg Hook and Mark Costello.

This podcast is sponsored by the Philips OLED+ TV. Redefining what’s possible in the premium TV market. Discover more at https://www.philips.com/oled+

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

Towards the end of the podcast, we ask you the question for this week's competition. When you know the question, select the correct answer in the competition here. https://www.avforums.com/competitions

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:23 - Welcome
00:04:30 - Competitions
00:08:40 - Spider-man: No Way Home Movie Review
00:13:46 - Best Blu-rays for picture quality 2021
00:17:24 - Best Blu-rays for sound quality 2021
00:18:26 - Best Blu-ray boxsets 2021
00:21:48 - Rik Henderson on Gamesmaster relaunch and his Gameslifer podcast
00:24:16 - Best video games and consoles of 2021
00:32:12 - Home cinema upgrades
00:44:30 - Best movies 2021
00:52:22 - Christmas movie traditions
00:59:30 - Podcast competition
01:01:04 - Feedback invited and Merry Christmas

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

hawkthefury

Itunes is showing it as the 8/12/21
1639607024500.png

Pogg

Thanks for Podcast, but had to turn off due to sibilance sound.

Don’t understand why you can’t all invest in a proper microphone.

Thank you. Maybe i will try YouTube captions.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
@Ed Selley

What was the band you mentioned? Can only find Cosmodrome (definitely not prog), can’t a find a Cosmodome Prog group anywhere.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member

Pogg

Hello Phil,

At the end of the Podcast you suggested we can provide feedback on how the Podcast is presented and ideas about content.

I am a big fan of the PodCasts and really like that there is a separate one for Movies now. All the Presenters are fantastic including you.

Actually my only 1 constructive criticism is that you should all utilise a good quality studio microphone. Much better if you all use the same model. It really will be a big improvement on the listening experience.

Merry Xmas

veedub

Thanks to the team for all the Podcasts through the year - always a weekly highlight. Both Podcasts are really excellent with brilliant presenters. The information & advice on the podcast and the wider forum in general is always invaluable.

It is also good to have the whole team back on one podcast for this Christmas Special - it would be good to have more full team podcasts next year if possible?

Merry Christmas 🎄

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Hello Phil,

At the end of the Podcast you suggested we can provide feedback on how the Podcast is presented and ideas about content.

I am a big fan of the PodCasts and really like that there is a separate one for Movies now. All the Presenters are fantastic including you.

Actually my only 1 constructive criticism is that you should all utilise a good quality studio microphone. Much better if you all use the same model. It really will be a big improvement on the listening experience.

Merry Xmas
I tend to agree. I would say that since the team went video, the audio quality has dropped so it could be internet speed or program related.

Pogg

I tend to agree. I would say that since the team went video, the audio quality has dropped so it could be internet speed or program related.
The challenges of the Internet and software used to process audio will be a separate challenge, but the source capturing device - the microphone is hugely important. I think I recall seeing Phil using a desktop Mic in a past podcast which sounded excellent.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
The challenges of the Internet and software used to process audio will be a separate challenge, but the source capturing device - the microphone is hugely important. I think I recall seeing Phil using a desktop Mic in a past podcast which sounded excellent.
Yeah true. If there is one extra thing I’ve hated, HATED thanks to the pandemic is video calls. Urgh. My god I hate them. I could probably count on one finger a good one I’ve seen and yeah built-in mics are probably the main reason.

Toon Army

Merry Christmas to everyone at AVF. Thanks for all your efforts over the year in front and behind the scenes. Also thanks again for the Abbey Road event, my friends were very envious.

Yetizone

groucho marx

i would like to thank the entire team at avforums for these podcasts.as a night shift worker they are really informative and entertaining at the same time,i look forward to hearing more in the new year and will get around to signing up at patreon ,all the best to all the team for 2022

SyStemDeMoN

When is it back ?

steviedr

Distinguished Member
End of the month

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
@Phil Hinton when is the next podcast?

I assume it will be/include a wrap up of CES 2022?
This coming Wednesday (26th). We have a new line-up and schedule for 2022. Podcasts will be every fortnight (2nd and 4th Wednesday) with a live stream every two months with a Q&A. We will also have additional special episodes added when they happen.
This week's edition will feature a wrap up of CES news and announcements.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces new Kann Max DAP and Pathfinder earphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones