AVForums Podcast: Christmas Special - The Best of 2019 & CES 2020 Preview - 16/12/19

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Sponsor message
00:02:49 - What have we done this week?
00:13:17 - Current Competitions
00:17:57 - CES 2020 - What we can expect to see?
00:33:04 - Our best products of the year 2019
00:56:08 - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker released this week
00:59:32 - Films to look forward to in 2020
01:07:56 - Final streaming releases of 2019
01:13:45 - Best films of 2019
01:19:51 - Best album of 2019
01:21:20 - Best 4K discs of 2019
01:29:33 - Best TV shows of 2019
01:45:43 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:47:39 | File Size: 200mb | Direct Link

Thanks for all the podcasts throughout 2019, including special guests, site editorials & videos. It’s been a great year for tech, looking forward to seeing what Ces has in store for us in 2020.
Have a great Christmas and New Year!

Please accept my thanks as well for all your great work over the year. Simply the best AV podcast out there. Going to see Star Wars on Thursday and I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to the most - the film or your review.

Great funny podcast. Always listen with a glass of red, or 3 !
A bit worried that high brightness on the new OLED's will exacerbate image retention. We will see..
8K cameras on the new Cellphones ? Had not thought of that.
I may be the only one who thinks "Skyfall" was the best 007..
I watch YT all the time. Esp. the train cab rides thro. Norway.. Hypnotic through those tunnels, and deep snow - in 4K !
Have a great time at CES. Happy noo Year guys !
Hic !
PS. Watch "Tuba Skinny" on YT. You will love them...

34631281-94DE-4F0A-A59C-52CAB82102F6.gif

Blimey CES only around the corner.... again, far too quick. 😵 Thanks for all the poddy's guys and I wish all at avforums a happy time over the festive period, but more importantly a healthy and then a happy and prosperous New Year. Lot's of 🥰 from LT.

Thanks for all your hard work this year chaps. The podcasts are a highlight of otherwise dreary Monday’s and I love listening to them on the commute home. Have a great Christmas and New Year, looking forward to what 2020 brings.

Thanks gents for a wonderful year of podcasts.

May you all have an excellent christmas and new year; look forward to hearing your voices in 2020.

Great show as usual, thanks guys.
Phil, is the headphone where they put the mics in your ears the Smyth Realiser? If so I heard it a few years ago at CanJam London and agree it is incredible how it replicates the speaker placement. It would be great for late night movie watching without disturbing thee family or neighbours!

Merry Christmas to you all.
Thanks for all the podcasts although I think you have all had too many holidays and should be made to do podcasts even when holidaying.

I am going to see star wars on saturday and do not have high expectations so I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for another great year of podcasts.

@Phil Hinton - You’re definitely right about CES not making the current crop of TVs irrelevant ... it’s hard to dismiss last years batch of LG OLEDs remained a tempting option so this years models will be a great buy in 2020.

Cheers for the poddy - having recently trialled Deezer's 360 audio I'm not hopeful for the format. The audio was badly EQd losing a lot of the impact. The impression of space in the sound was good, but the audio lost so much impact that it made it no fun to listen to. This was on a set of Sony WH-1000XM3 which setup up the 360 EQ using photos of my ears taken in the app. Fairly easy to setup, but the sound quality ultimately no fun.

Many thanks chaps for all the pods this year. They say laughter is infectious, and listening each week it's definitely true. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

The talk of CES has lead me to wonder something. When most of us go on a long haul flight we think of catching up on some films we haven't seen. What do guys that watch films all year do? :D

Thanks for the weekly podcast. Definitely brightens up a dreary Monday and always something to look forward to. Keep up the good work for 2020 :) It is much appreciated.

Tidal has launched Atmos tracks, just to keep the surround sound music gimmick going for another 5 mins until we all go - No thanks again. I am going to give it try once I work out how to actually send the audio to my Atmos receiver. Haven't thought that through yet. Not top of my to do list to be fair.

Chernobyl
Watching Cunk last night she pointed something bloody obvious that I had never noticed. If you have bakers running the control room of a nuclear power plant it is no surprise it ended in disaster

BAKERS.jpg

These guys can bake a mean loaf but should they be running a nuclear power station?

I suspect the Atmos audio maybe better quality than the Deezer 360 if it's encoded as proper object audio. Another one to try when I can I think.
My favourite Genre is Movie Soundtracks. So if Dolby can share originally recorded Dolby Atmos Movie Sountracks then that is amazing. Dolby Atmos been announced for both TIDAL HIFI and Amazon MUSIC HD. Looking forward to it. The current recently launched 360audio on Tidal HIFI is ‘MEH’.

Chernobyl
Watching Cunk last night she pointed something bloody obvious that I had never noticed. If you have bakers running the control room of a nuclear power plant it is no surprise it ended in disaster

View attachment 1234081

These guys can bake a mean loaf but should they be running a nuclear power station?

...and to make things worse, I'm sure that's Vic reeves on the left.

...and to make things worse, I'm sure that's Vic reeves on the left.

You wouldn't let it lie...

Thanks to the AVF podcast crew for all the giggles and insights provided in 2019. Hope you all get some rest before CES :thumbsup:

I particularly liked the comment this week that if you fool BBC iPlayer to think you have watched a show, it just keeps giving you more of the same !

MB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom