AVForums Podcast: 6th June 2016

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
On this week’s podcast extra we interview colour scientist Dado Valentic who works on the Netflix show Marco Polo about the use of HDR, the workflow and the benefits.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 00:23:06 | File Size: 32mb | Direct Link

google

Distinguished Member
It's interesting to hear what Mr Valentic says about working to a peak brightness of 1000 nits. He seems to be suggesting that going any brighter would be uncomfortable for the viewer. Does this mean then that future displays won't need to meet a higher nit peak than 1000 nits? There seems no point going any brighter if no content will be graded past 1000 nits.

In terms of higher peak brightness being uncomfortable for the viewer, surely it depends on how the brightness is used? As an example; would the edge of a silver spoon lit to 4000 nits be uncomfortable to the viewer? If 4000 nits is used for specular parts of an image only, can this amount of brightness be used whilst providing a comfortable viewing experience?

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
It's interesting to hear what Mr Valentic says about working to a peak brightness of 1000 nits. He seems to be suggesting that going any brighter would be uncomfortable for the viewer. Does this mean then that future displays won't need to meet a higher nit peak than 1000 nits? There seems no point going any brighter if no content will be graded past 1000 nits.

In terms of higher peak brightness being uncomfortable for the viewer, surely it depends on how the brightness is used? As an example; would the edge of a silver spoon lit to 4000 nits be uncomfortable to the viewer? If 4000 nits is used for specular parts of an image only, can this amount of brightness be used whilst providing a comfortable viewing experience?

Well numbers sell, so when HDR is a common word it'll be used as a selling point just like contrast ration, so I would imagine that wether HDR needs it or not we'll get higher and higher nit levels.

I also heard his argument about not using 4000nit display was the fact that no-one outside of the industry can buy a 4000nit TV and Mr Valentic seemed very concerned with matching the content to a level that we at home can actually see.

He also said what I was always saying that brightness is NOT the key to HDR. It's the increased colour range.

But its great to see that people of his profession getting excited about what HDR can do.

I think it was Phil who asked did Dado think that HDR would automatically mean people would be watching a more accurate picture? To lead on form that, does anyone else think we will now automatically get better transfers to disc. No more DNR, better detail etc. etc?

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Just a heads up that the "direct link" links to last week's podcast...

Garioch

Distinguished Member

pressure

Excellent interview.

geogan

I'm really annoyed that Game of Thrones isn't available in 4K HDR. The whole series would have been perfect material for HDR with all the moody darkness and candle and fire lit scenes.

geogan

To lead on form that, does anyone else think we will now automatically get better transfers to disc. No more DNR, better detail etc. etc?

No. DNR is used to attempt to remove grain from old 35mm prints captured in low light using a high ISO, so it will still be there and people may still attempt to remove it.
Better detail? The detail in original capture is usually dependent on the quality of the lenses on the camera used to capture the film and can vary depending on light quality of scene and the resulting aperture used (a small aperture doesn't let in as much light but uses only the center sharpest part of lens, whereas a wide aperture to capture more light uses the softer outer sides of lens)

daviboy88

Novice Member
Interesting comments on Dolby Vision, I wonder if he has an opinion on whether this is a superior format. Also why would he use the Panasonic which does not support Dolby Vision if he is working on Marco Polo in DV?

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom