AVForums Podcast: 4th June 2014

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,930
      This week we discuss:

00:01:50 Upcoming Reviews
      00:06:36 Don’t miss a minute! - How best to catch all the action at the World Cup
      00:09:25 Pushing the envelope - New tech at the World Cup
      00:12:23 Bring the noise! - Sound solutions for the World Cup
      00:16:14 Ask the Idiots - Can we recommend some small all-round speakers?
      00:20:25 Ask the Idiots - What piece of tech or gadget do we wish had been more successful?
      00:27:55 Ask the Idiots - Is an acoustically transparent screen better than using spandex?
      00:34:15 What to expect at E3 next week
      00:40:02 Mark’s World Cup Winning Snack
      00:43:22 What’s on at the cinema Steve? - X-Men: Days of Future Past, Maleficent, A Million Ways to Die in the West, Edge of Tomorrow
      00:48:30 Blu-ray releases this week - Lone Survivor, The Monuments Men, RoboCop, Cuban Fury, True Detective:Season 1
      00:49:20 Is The Empire Strikes Back really the best film of all time?
      00:59:27 Look out for the Movie team’s list of best Blu-rays
      01:01:17 Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Mark Botwright, Simon Crust and Ed Selley.

If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Time: 01:02:15 | File Size: 86mb | Direct Link

• Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • List
    2. vism

vism

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,188
      Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Has the football finished yet? No?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

How convenient, Empire wins during filming of the new Star wars series.

3. TJP75

TJP75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +714
      Fantastic podcast gents; the spandex question was hilarous as was Steve's rant against the Star Wars box set.

I have a question for "Ask the idiots" although it may be slightly more challenging than usual. I was reading the Harbeth forum when I discovered this post from Harbeth's Alan Shaw: Munich 2014 - review and thanks

36 points are made & there are a few gems amongst them:
      • As a general observation, some of the biggest, most advertised, most reputed brands make the most colored sounds
      • Loudspeaker brands that successfully market primarily or exclusively to the pro-audio market (but have ambitions to enter the domestic arena) made some of the most colored, unpleasant, pinched, peaky sounds at the show. They were dreadful
      There are plenty more including the pitfalls of listening to speakers at a hifi show and cost versus performance ratio. Anyone care to take a look and respond - not to all 36 points but a few that catch your eye.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    4. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +566
      I have to agree with the "I wish blu ray had caught on" shout (or even HD DVD). If we count BR's serious existence as starting only from when the format war was over (CES 08?), then that's over 6 years, with cheap players having been around for most of that. Yet, folks are still buying DVD in 2014 !!

Unfortunately, it seems optimistic to be to have a 4kBR format and therefore 3 formats at the same time. Surely, DVD needs to be killed of before 4K BR comes in from a practical point of view. My memory was that VHS was well gone by the time BR / HD DVD came in.

MB

• Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    5. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,622
      Nice podcast as always gents.

As for more successful tech

Well yeah Blu Ray for sure and HD DVD. A shame that Hollywood thought the "better" DRM/encryption of BD was something to choose it over HDDVD. Surely it was smart to think, Hmmmm it'll probably be cracked anyway and so we'll go for the cheaper more familiar HDDVD.

But my 1st vote also goes for MiniDisc. I had an in-car player and my portable is still used with 1GB discs. I have yet to find a solution that is better at ripping soundtracks and even more so, track editing. The thing was/is sublime. One button, bam a new track. Two more and it's deleted all on the fly Superb

But it was horribly marketed and later Sony's PC software for the later pc connectable machines was truly a piece of %$£[email protected]!

6. True Romance

True Romance
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,990
      Guys don't be so dismissive of using spandex as a AT screen. This has been used for some time in the USA (check avs). In the UK we have limited choice of spandex so things are a little more difficult. Yes a proper AT screen from one of the big players will be significantly better however not everyone has the funds for such a screen. I'm always working to a limited budget so try and get the best value for money (3.2m wide for under £100 including frame work sounds like a bargain to me). Also AT screens are not just to hide the speakers behind it also improves sound as you can have all the front sound stage at the same height, this makes a massive difference to the sound (imo). Hearing speach coming from the centre of the screen rather than the bottom does have a big impact. Anyway checkout the thread in my sig and your more than welcome round my place to see and hear for yourselves.

Cheers,
      TR.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    7. DTS MAN

DTS MAN

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +146
      Bloody great podcast guys, I really do think we should keep up the momentum with harking on about Bly-Ray is best!

My spandex question was genuine but I cannot deny effing hilarious!! LOL

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List