AVForums Podcast - 3rd July 2013

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Welcome to the new weekly AVForums podcast. Every Wednesday we will bring you the latest home cinema, movie, games and tech news and opinion.

In this first episode we look at:
00:01:14 - Xbox U-turn
00:06:27 - Steve Hill decides to turn up
00:18:11 - What's at the Cinema, Steve? This week it's 'This is the end'
00:22:21 - Multi platform movie release experiments - A Field in England - Is this the future for cinema?
00:40:10 - Looking back at James Gandolfini and 'The Sopranos'
00:48:15 - A new high resolution audio format is announced - SACD and DVD-A all over again?
00:53:49 - Tech News: Smart Watches about to hit stores?
01:03:13 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Steve Hill, Mark Botwright, Mark Hodgkinson and Simon Crust.

Time: 01:03:13 | File Size: 87mb | Direct Link

Please leave your feedback and your opinions on the subjects discussed below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nostromo71

Great podcast guys. Loads of great humour that had me laughing out loud. Good to see there are still some people as cynical as I am ;)

Some interesting thoughts on Cinema visits. For me, there's just way too many negatives involved these days. People talking, people rustling popcorn and the bags of sweets and crisps, kids, people kicking the back of your seat, and mobile feckin' phones. Plus, in a packed Cinema the heat can be too much for me, and I nearly fall asleep. I actually did fall asleep during The Hobbit.

As for the inevitability of a download only future, we need to pull together and fight it as long as possible.

Ten80p

Banned
you are the best podcasters ever. You are true professionals, I love the swearing, the babbling etc, greatest podcast ever! :D

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Great first weekly podcast guys, one request though can we have the 18 version without the beeps please.:D

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
So good to be able to listen to you guys every week! Brilliant.

In regard to the Xbox One

I think Steve (when he finally turned up) was spot on. Yes MS got the PR completely wrong, were patronising and Don Mattrick was to blame for a lot of imo. His interview later in which he said that "well if you don't have the internet, you can buy our 8 year old console. That went down a like ACME anvil on a certain Coyote.

I personally was going to love the disc-less game play. A year ago all the talk was if not for this generation but the next will certainly be download only. In which case EVERYTHING MS was talking about the Xbox One now will be for certain in a few years time. Yet then, people didn't seem to mind, but for it to actually happen it's now a complete poostorm. Oh the fickle world of the internet user.

MS has done this before of course with the er, erm, Xbox 1 no, wait the orignal Xbox - what the hell do we call that thing now?! That shipped with ethernet only and people cried then and now look what that did for on-line gaming.

Anyway, I could go on and try to win an argument on the internet and we all know how that will go. Great podcast guys and looking forward to next week already. I think you've made the right decision

Ben Ingber

Just a quick note that I think the reason why Xbox get away with charging nigh on double for digital is the lack of competition. Someone in the poddy commented that pricing should be more like Steam, but Steam has to compete with GOG, direct downloads, Origin (hah!) etc etc.

For as long as MS have a monopoly on digitally distributing their own content, the prices will always be outrageous.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
you are the best podcasters ever. You are true professionals, I love the swearing, the babbling etc, greatest podcast ever! :D

Your original comments were read and discussed and thank you for taking the time to make your original thoughts known pre-edit.

AJBek

Good first podcast guys, will definitely be staying on my dogcatcher feed list. Loved Steve's late arrival as well, glad you didn't edit it out. That will definitely be mentioned on the games podcast, probably for years to come.

Last edited:

del_86

Top quality stuff :)
Love the banter and the way it pulls together all the various topics into the one podcast, with some incisive analysis thrown in as well.

Well done gents :smashin:

I hate podcasts that take themselves too seriously.....i cant see that happening here lol.

grnnvrzz

Great first podcast.

I think Microsoft are basically saying which way the whole industry will go but were not in the least bit subtle about their approach and they have paid the price. They forgot the key fact that core gamers are their early adopters so to alienate them was to alienate their first purchasers!

Nevaborn

Great podcast guys. Loads of great humour that had me laughing out loud. Good to see there are still some people as cynical as I am ;)

Some interesting thoughts on Cinema visits. For me, there's just way too many negatives involved these days. People talking, people rustling popcorn and the bags of sweets and crisps, kids, people kicking the back of your seat, and mobile feckin' phones. Plus, in a packed Cinema the heat can be too much for me, and I nearly fall asleep. I actually did fall asleep during The Hobbit.

As for the inevitability of a download only future, we need to pull together and fight it as long as possible.

I love going to the cinema but hate cinemas. Im not average size and find cinema seating horribly cramped and uncomfortable. Theres too many shoved in together and and at bad angles imo.

Its insane too as there is a far better system that is comfortable and potentially allows more people in the cinema. There was about 8 years ago anyway a Cinema in Newcastle where there were no seats just massive long rows of fabric benches. The arm rest folded out of the back if wanted. They were so comfortable and if quiet had like 20ft of room on each side like a giant sofa

CrazyHorse

Enjoyed that - great podcast guys. :thumbsup:

Quick point re W/S + B&W 'Longest Day' (@'23.19')

Off the top of my head, a few other films shot in B&W/2.35:1 -

The Haunting

The Innocents

Manhattan

Must be more, surely.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
How could I forget Manhattan!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts