Quantcast

AVForums Podcast 27/04/20: LG 65-Inch GX OLED Review, Philips 754 Review, Music, Movies and More...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we review the LG GX and Philips 754 OLED TVs. Ed talks music and self-isolation, plus we round-up movie news, reviews and TV shows. And finally, we go over the best and worst of Harrison Ford.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:26 - We are doing a Video Podcast Q&A on the 30th of April on the AVForums Podcasts YouTube page. Join us at 19:15 (BST) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-zy...
00:05:10 - Thank you front line workers - What have we done this week?
00:24:57 - Current Competitions
00:26:35 - Phil reviews the Philips OLED754 55-inch OLED TV
00:33:08 - Steve reviews the 65-inch LG GX OLED TV
00:45:22 - Ed talks music and self-isolation
00:56:57 - Cas talks new movie releases
01:03:26 - 4K and Blu-ray releases this week
01:06:51 - Cas reviews Gangs of London TV Show
01:12:35 - The best of Harrison Ford
01:27:36 - Goodbyes
01:28:57 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley, Steve Withers and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:28:57 | File Size: 170mb | Direct Link

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
We are doing a video podcast Q&A test broadcast live on the 30th of April over on the AVForums Podcasts YouTube page. Join us at 7:15pm (BST) to help us test out the video podcast systems and also ask us any questions you like on AV or other subjects.
Join us on the AVForums Podcasts YouTube channel here - AVForums Podcasts and please subscribe.

Earthscope

Thanks Guys!
GX comments were hilarious with regards to Cinema mode/Dolby Vision IQ :laugh: :rotfl:

I picked up a 65C9 for £1789 in January.

Bargain, and agree get the C9 save some $$$$ over the CX...;)

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Thanks for keeping these going guys, much appreciated.

boabis

Good show as always, interesting stuff with the LG OLED catch-up snafu. Normally LG are the “cover all bases” choice for these things, but that’s a big cock-up.

I don’t remember it being mentioned before, but “The Last Dance” on Netflix about Michael Jordan and the 90’s Chicago Bulls is superb. Built from the guts of an ESPN film made at the time with amazing behind-the-scenes access. Seems to be dropping episodes weekly.

SonOfSJ

Regarding importing and reviewing 4K Blu-rays in future - that may indeed be a good thing, because sometimes the US version of a 4K disc differs from its UK counterpart. In April two years ago I bought this US version:
Blade Runner 2049 Import - edited.jpg

And I bought the US version specifically because the US version had the Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the 1080p Blu-ray also, not only on the 4K disc. Whereas the UK 4K disc, which has a different cover photograph with two of the heads above the other two, has only a still-excellent DTS Master Audio 7.1 (I believe) track on its 1080p disc.

Pity the American import is currently unavailable! Is that another victim of the Coronavirus, or would it now be unavailable anyway, after two years?

not enough people say it and they should..thanks for the constant high quality AV info and witty banter every week , looking forward to the live stream

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Good show as always, interesting stuff with the LG OLED catch-up snafu. Normally LG are the “cover all bases” choice for these things, but that’s a big cock-up.
I have no doubt LG will add the missing apps in fairly short order. God knows why they decided to drop Freeview Play, but I suspect the delay in re-certifying the UK catch-up apps has something to do with the current situation. LG are usually very good at keeping webOS up to date.

Pokey800

@Ed Selley Unfortunately I can't find any reference to or tracks by The Genesis Point. Is that what you said? Maybe that's because my searches are skewed by Genesis. Thanks.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
@Ed Selley Unfortunately I can't find any reference to or tracks by The Genesis Point. Is that what you said? Maybe that's because my searches are skewed by Genesis. Thanks.
It's the Genesis- the point where things started. The album itself is called Silver Apples.

Toon Army

We are doing a video podcast Q&A test broadcast live on the 30th of April over on the AVForums Podcasts YouTube page. Join us at 7:15pm (BST) to help us test out the video podcast systems and also ask us any questions you like on AV or other subjects.
Join us on the AVForums Podcasts YouTube channel here - AVForums Podcasts and please subscribe.
Great news folks. I might struggle to watch you live so will it be available afterwards?

Pokey800

It's the Genesis- the point where things started. The album itself is called Silver Apples.
Thanks - will take a listen. Something I've been enjoying this week is one of the new Sonos radio stations - Pindrop Electronic. If you've got access to a Sonos speaker then it's defo worth a listen.

Pokey800

Thanks for another great podcast guys. Keep em coming. Will be tuning in on Thursday. And BTW - still loving my LG B7 - thanks your recommendations.

Jessica Noir

I don’t remember it being mentioned before, but “The Last Dance” on Netflix about Michael Jordan and the 90’s Chicago Bulls is superb. Built from the guts of an ESPN film made at the time with amazing behind-the-scenes access. Seems to be dropping episodes weekly.
I'm not a massive basketball fan, but this a brilliant documentary. ESPN have been producing some of the best documentries of recent years with the likes of Hillsborough and OJ - Made in America and their latest is no exception.

Lloydy92

Standard Member
Thanks for the great entertainment as usual guys.
I listen to a few other podcasts (not av related) which have had to switch over to recording over some kind of web chat based system rather than from a recording room environment due to COVID-19 and it’s really brought home just how good the audio quality of this podcast is. Other podcasts don’t even come close 👍🏼

Rockets

Enjoyable listen as usual.

One question has Cas got Star Wars out of his system now??

Image of Ed walking down a street by himself with a board 'OPEN PUB'S NOW!'
chanting -
What do we want, Pub's. When do we want them, now. :rotfl:

Car washing in sun, in fact washing anything in the sun = wash and rinse with RO water (or if you are feeling particularly anal - RO with final DI stage stage to get the TDS of water down to zero near enough).
Doing this means you can be in blazing sun and it leaves no marks. It is how window cleaners do the job now days or really anal car detailer's. Have you not noticed they don't even have to dry the windows anymore because it leaves no residue. ;)

Interesting further fact on pure water it cares no electricity - the impurities in normal water are where the ions come from that make water conductive. Running water through a RO unit with final DI stage bring the TDS down to zero, meaning you can actual use electronics in that water. Hey fancy watching a TV under water??
Warning the contaminants on the electronics could cause the ion level to increase high enough to become conductive so don't blame me if you try electronics under pure water and they still blow up. OR you decide to put 240v into pure water and put your dirty hand in to test conductivity and the salts raise the ion level enough to conduct again and it kills you.
I'm taking zero responsibility for tests people carry out.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Great news folks. I might struggle to watch you live so will it be available afterwards?
Yes, our embarrassment will be recorded and posted for posterity.

Garioch

How to ruin a TV show in three words: "A Sky Original." :D

Ok I'm perhaps being harsh; I'm not the biggest fan of Sky's own programming. That said, Cas - you've sold it. I will make an exception for Gangs of London, on the strength of Gareth Evans alone. Thanks for your passionate review.

Also thanks to everyone else on the podcast. Regarding listener questions for the upcoming event on Thursday April 30th, are you wanting the questions asked here in preparation or in the discussion page in your new channel (AVForums Podcasts)?

Good luck and look forward to it.

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Reviewer
According to LG the decision to drop Freeview Play was mutual, and as I suspected the re-certification of each individual app has taken longer than planned due to Covid19.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I'm not a massive basketball fan, but this a brilliant documentary. ESPN have been producing some of the best documentries of recent years with the likes of Hillsborough and OJ - Made in America and their latest is no exception.
I have no interest in basketball, but I'll check out The Last Dance after these recommendations.

Trending threads

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky HDR launch rumoured for 27th of May
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony 2020 8K LED and 48-inch OLED TV prices leaked
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi launches iPhono3 Black Label phono stage