AVForums Podcast: 25th April 2016 - podcast discussion

I have seen interview with Cameron made during his real-life deep sea exploration using submersibles to some wreck (may have been Titanic) in which he said something along the lines of, the real thing is way better than the fantasy sci-fi stuff he used to make and he lost all interest in the sci-fi fantasy fiction and was only interested in the real thing now (regarding deep sea exploration).
I have more interest in watching The Abyss than I do in three more Avatar movies!

Thanks again for a thoroughly entertaining podcast, listened whilst playing the Witcher 3 on ps4(multitasking).
I believe a ps4 with 4k UHD disc playback will be inevitable and may be here sooner than later.
The Sony kD 55xd9305 that was spoken about seems a cracking TV and i look forward to the review.
Just wondering how the Dell projector will score as Phil does not seem impressed by it so far. Till next week.

I'm pretty sure that both Warners and Sony also originally announced they were using Dolby Vision but when their discs actually materialised there was no Dolby Vision on them, so let's hope Universal deliver on their promise.

Yes you're right, The Peanuts Movie had a Dolby Atmos soundtrack... of all the films to pick for your first Atmos title. It looks like Deadpool will be their second Atmos title, which is better news.

I've just noticed that Sony have announced a 30th anniversary release of Labyrinth on Ultra HD Blu-ray with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Dammit I only bought the Blu-ray after Bowie's death! Come on Fox, where's the Ultra HD Blu-ray of The Abyss with a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack?

Sadly it looks like you might have been right regarding Dolby Vision on the upcoming Universal titles (I'm not sad you were right by the way, only sad it doesn't look like they will have Dolby Vision).

Dave Vaughn, a U.S. reviewer, has asked Universal directly and they confirmed to him that it's the same as Sony and Warner, they won't release UHD Blurays with DV (at least for now), they meant streaming/download etc.

So it looks like there is still no real reason to get DV on a UHD Player... Unless it goes the other way around, they won't release any DV titles until compatible players are available? It's really short-term view if its the case as DV titles are HDR10 compatible. I guess it makes a double dip more likely, as usual...

Last edited:
Great listen as always gentlemen.

A bet Mark B is keen on the Nintendo NX - announced the week it's mentioned on the podcast ;)

See because of this podcast, I end up using the phrase "you will ****" a lot. Just yesterday when I was cooking tea, I said to the wife, "once you eat this, you will ****" (without even realising I had just said it).

She just looked at me puzzled and replied with, "You mean immediately? I hope not..."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom