AVForums Podcast: 24th June 2015

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,335
      This week;

00:01:45 Competitions
      00:02:36 Fox announce first films in HDR Ultra HD for the home
      00:12:59 Philips launch new Soundbars
      00:15:14 High quality music streaming, is it the future for Hi fi playback? Can Apple rule with music?
      00:39:33 Games news rounds up E3 and the games podcast
      00:47:36 Films on release and due this Friday at the cinema/Blu-ray releases
      00:48:23 What TV series would make a decent motion picture? Or should it be the other way around.
      01:01:05 Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Mark Botwright, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley

Note:
      If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.
      Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:02:12 | File Size: 85mb | Direct Link

2. Nostromo71

Nostromo71

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +393
      I'm not a huge fan of the 'One episode One story' format with TV dramas. They just always feel rushed and generally end up not being believable. You can get away with it in comedy shows, but not in dramas. Blue Bloods is one the biggest culprits for that, and I gave up on the show because of it. I also gave up on Person of Interest a few episodes from the end of season three for that same reason. The Blacklist is another one that always felt too rushed, and I'd had enough after six episodes of season one. It would have been an excellent show if they had a full season story arc. I never get the 'I can't wait for the next episode' feeling with the 'One episode one story' format, and I love getting that feeling.

3. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      ^^ For me there's a big difference between a US procedural type show with a crime and a resolution in 40 mins plus adverts and, say, Hinterland, which has a single story in 90 mins and much more engaging.

I like a mixture of some shows with single stories and some with long arcs (or combination). I loved the earlier "24" for that 'cant wait until next episode' feeling, but then there were always parts of the story that became redundant by the end and I didn't like that. This isn't helped by the "write it as we go" method that 24 and some other US shows adopt.

MB