Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss:

00:00:32 – England are still in Euro 2016 (just) and our latest thoughts on Top Gear
00:07:47 – Denon and Marantz launch their latest AV Receiver line-up
00:18:20 – Sky announce new Cinema movie offering with promise of Ultra HD
00:25:00 – Steve reviews Samsung’s flagship UE65KS9500 Ultra HD TV
00:27:00 – E3 Round-Up with Mark B
00:32:48 – Apple Music gets a make-over but does it sound any better?
00:38:10 – What’s at the cinema Steve? – Gods of Egypt
00:42:30 – Films opening this week - Independence Day: Resurgence
00:44:57 – Blu-rays released this week - Enemy Mine
00:48:24 – Ultra HD Blu-ray Round-up
00:53:22 – Current Competitions
00:55:00 – Is Star Wars: Rogue One in trouble?
00:59:58 – Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Ed Selley and Mark Botwright.

Note:
If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:00:54 | File Size: 84mb | Direct Link

Looking forward to this podcast as usual.

On a side note - I had to reinstall iTunes this week ( another story ) and when it reloaded my podcasts, it somehow downloaded the very first edition of the AV Forums podcast! It was released on 2nd March, 2006 and was hosted by Jason Bradbury ( !¬"£$%$£"! :mad:). The DVD reviewer was none other than Phil Hinton, who talked about the latest Harry Potter release amongst other films. The technology news was also great and included huge Sony 46" LCD screens with a Super Pattern Vertical Alignment System. There was a report from the Bristol Show and a description of home cinema systems as being a " space hogging blip! " I recommend everyone downloads it for a snapshot of events 10 years ago, let alone a laugh.

The only AV podcast where one can hear "close up shot of a nob" :laugh: Love it.

The DVD reviewer was none other than Phil Hinton, who talked about the latest Harry Potter release amongst other films.

Hehehe. I remember those! That's when Phil sounded less....um...."regional". ;) Can't believe it's been 10 years!

Speaking of iTunes...anyone else having issues playing the AVForums podcast on iTunes. It randomly goes to the next podcast in my feed. It's a bit off-putting when Adam Buxton starts singing halfway through talk of Sky UHD!

Last edited:
Great podcast as usual guys, been listening for many years.
Really sorry to say, but Phil's 'jokes' towards Steve are getting very old and boring.
Other than that, keep up the good work.

You better ask microsoft about the soundchip on the new xbox one s, if it support "unharmed" bitstream, my current xbox one cant play lossless bitstream/atmos/dts:x

Last edited:
Looking forward to this podcast as usual.

On a side note - I had to reinstall iTunes this week ( another story ) and when it reloaded my podcasts, it somehow downloaded the very first edition of the AV Forums podcast! It was released on 2nd March, 2006 and was hosted by Jason Bradbury ( !¬"£$%$£"! :mad:). The DVD reviewer was none other than Phil Hinton, who talked about the latest Harry Potter release amongst other films. The technology news was also great and included huge Sony 46" LCD screens with a Super Pattern Vertical Alignment System. There was a report from the Bristol Show and a description of home cinema systems as being a " space hogging blip! " I recommend everyone downloads it for a snapshot of events 10 years ago, let alone a laugh.

I actually bought one of the Sony X series mentioned and have still got it! It was amusing hearing the talk of PS2 releases, forthcoming HD-DVD v Blu-Ray war, beginning of the death of plasma, and the birth of HD. Whatever happened to Jason Bradbury?

Isn't Batman v Superman meant to be the first triple layer 100GB 4k ultra hd blu ray disc?

Last edited:
Top job chaps, hope you had a good break.
Top Gear - it's a bit of a confusing one for me. I'm surprised they're still cocking about each week; I expected it to be more like old Quentin Wilson TG. Extra Gear has been somewhat better, with Reid and Harris doing the legwork. One thing that made me cringe, was watching Evans going full-William-Shatner-emotional about the Mclaren F1 - it was just plaid odd, especially at a whopping 70mph. He's still a bit shouty - but the more screen time EJ gets, the more bearable Evans is (perhaps that's the intention). Matt has been calming influence thus far, which I never expected.

The one nice thing about it for me, was that Chris Harris finally has the platform to do what he does ever so well, in front of a larger demographic than just YouTube.

Le Mans was rather good; shame about Toyota, I don't know what they have to do to win - the racing (like much of the WEC) was superb. To be thrashing it out for positions after 20 odd hours, when an F1 race sees a 40 second gap from 1 to 2 after less than 2 hours. The Radio Le Mans commentary guys mentioned it, whilst the WEC isn't as popular as the giddy heights of Group C and when Jaguar were taking the fight to Mercedes, it's only getting more popular as enthusiasts slowly but surely close the door on Formula 1.

On the UHD front...I've joined the UHD disc spinning club, somewhat later than planned (UB900). I'm amazed it just worked right out of the box. I did get a message pop up mentioning the display didn't allow HDR etc, but it just got on with it and the Epson automatically started outputting in 4K x 2K (faux 4K as that is).

It might get upgraded to the Oppo when that arrives, time will tell.

The Epson requires a re-calibration, and I'm hoping the rumoured HDR update happens soon, but from a resolution point of view, with well mastered discs (Deadpool and The Revenant), the improvement is more than I expected, particularly when the 1080p transfers are nearly faultless.

I might well be the only person shopping for UHD discs in HMV, but they've been kind enough to put them on a shelf out of the way where nobody can find them without crawling around on the floor...
There's some decent titles being released; Oblivion should be superb (and with an Atmos soundtrack). Stark Trek Into Darkness has had some very good reviews thus far, particularly on the audio side. Lone Survivor ought to be a cracker - that was a brute of a demo disc in 1080p :thumbsup:

And...Happy Birthday Mark and Steve :).

Isn't Batman v Superman meant to be the first triple layer 100GB 4k ultra hd blu ray disc?
The film is nearly three hours long, so it probably will need a triple layer disc. The first triple layer discs were recently launched in Japan, which means the technology works and is already available.

Ironically, given the talk about misheard lyrics, I was working at computer whilst listening and for the first 5 minutes I thought there were multiple references to Dylan Moran! Was wondering why he was such an influential force in AV!

Once listening properly, realised it was Denon & Marantz...:facepalm:

Regarding Rouge One... I'm not sure it's shot on 65mm film but it does use the same ultra-panavision lenses that Tarantino used for The Hateful Eight. The camera is Arri Alexa 65, which is a 65mm digital camera but I don't really understand what that means.

What I'd like to know is whether it'll be 2.76:1 throughout or whether it'll change aspect ratio throughout the film.

I noticed one of you mentioned about a friend in search of a particular 4K player - which player was it?

I was talking about Chevyonfuel, who now has his spanking new Panasonic UB900 up and running.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom