AVForums Podcast 20/04/20: TV Market Meltdown Discussion with Industry Analyst, Reviews and More...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we have special guest Paul Gray, who is a TV industry analyst, and we try to work out what effect the current crisis will have on the TV and display business. Plus, we have the latest movie, 4K disc news and TV show reviews and our favourite Keanu Reeves films.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:25 - Thank you, front line workers - What have we done this week?
00:10:38 - Current Competitions
00:12:22 - TV Market Meltdown? - TV industry analyst Paul Gray on the effects of the current crisis for TV manufacturing and sales
00:45:15 - Film review: Spies in Disguise
00:49:21 - 4K, Blu-ray and Streaming releases this week
01:07:38 - TV show review: Devs
01:19:04 - The best and worst of Keanu Reeves
01:32:05 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Special Guest Paul Gray

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:31:59 | File Size: 177mb | Direct Link

Thanks as always for the Podcast
For Mr. Reeves, Constantine is a Guilty Pleasure for us - surprised it was not brought up either in a plus or minus way

Thanks for the podcast everyone, interesting hearing Pauls thoughts on the year ahead, I hadn’t thought as far as CES, the delayed Olympics. If the 2020 products do span into 2021, it may give certain manufacturers the additional edge regarding next gen chip sets.

Great show and great insight from Paul, good at stating how it is, now how we would like it to be.

Ed, for GT Sport, ignore the “campaign” and do the circuit challenges to win some cars and get used to the tracks. The best action is in the Sport mode daily races, cars are not tunable, so balance is retained. Race B is the sprint and C is normally a mini-endurance with tyre/fuel stops. Rolling starts are preferable when it’s a 20 car grid and no traction control.

Good podcast with some interesting insights to the industri from Paul. I do like Constantine, the score is really good (as far as i remember)
Spies in disguise is actually really entertaining, both for kids and adults. See it :)

I do like Constantine, the score is really good (as far as i remember)

The score is, by quite some margin, the best part of the film.

Ed, for GT Sport, ignore the “campaign” and do the circuit challenges to win some cars and get used to the tracks. The best action is in the Sport mode daily races, cars are not tunable, so balance is retained. Race B is the sprint and C is normally a mini-endurance with tyre/fuel stops. Rolling starts are preferable when it’s a 20 car grid and no traction control.

I briefly looked at the time trial last night. My issues with the online stuff is that I'm up against people with;

- Steering wheels
- Even more time on their hands than normal

which means that something I tinker with as a distraction becomes a source of stress. I do take a bitching photo though so there's that;

1587460071583.png

Sorry to hear that you’re all getting less work done as the listless apathy brought about by the lockdown leads you all to wonder whether it’s worth the bother of getting off the couch to go to the bathroom - after all, making it this far from the bedroom must have been strenuous enough as it was - but I was looking forward to, and am still hoping for, that in-depth review of the Lyngdorf MP-60. The best way to address existential angst, as always, is to distract oneself to death with shiny new toys, so please confirm that this is still on the cards.
Great podcast, btw.

I briefly looked at the time trial last night. My issues with the online stuff is that I'm up against people with;

- Steering wheels
- Even more time on their hands than normal

which means that something I tinker with as a distraction becomes a source of stress. I do take a bitching photo though so there's that;

View attachment 1285539

Everybody has a driver rating and sportsmanship rating to make sure you race against people of similar standard.

If you improve and keep things clean, both will rise accordingly.

I use a controller and auto gears but manage to have competitive races, and even occasionally win one!

Sorry to hear that you’re all getting less work done as the listless apathy brought about by the lockdown leads you all to wonder whether it’s worth the bother of getting off the couch to go to the bathroom - after all, making it this far from the bedroom must have been strenuous enough as it was - but I was looking forward to, and am still hoping for, that in-depth review of the Lyngdorf MP-60. The best way to address existential angst, as always, is to distract oneself to death with shiny new toys, so please confirm that this is still on the cards.
Great podcast, btw.
The Lyngdorf MP-60 review was the one thing I managed to get finished last week! In all seriousness, I took bank holiday Monday off and I actually spent a couple of days testing other products last week before they were collected on Friday. I ended up spending two days on the MP-60 review, but in my defence it did turn into a 5,000 word epic – so that should help you pass the time when it's published.

Thanks gents, the interview with Paul Gray being very interesting. I think we can speculate as much as we like, in reality no one knows what will happen. As for prices, the various pulling factors could even out and not have much impact in the end in relation to prices. I would suggest we get a better feel for that aspect with Black Friday this year.
As for the deluge of programmes appearing on streaming services, could there be a subsequent loss of new releases next year when they run out of material, especially as production companies are unable to film at the moment?

thanks for keeping up the good work chaps, always entertaining

Interesting how TV buying seems to buck economic downturns.

As for Keanu i think its amazing that someone who can barely form a coherent sentence can have a such a movie career but he comes across as very likeable and has charisma so maybe that's all you need,,,,good luck to him

Cheers for another neat podcast - good to know the existential angst isn't just me.

Makes sense that the TVs industry may be one of the few to bounce back from *all this* as I know I'm more inclined to spend money on home entertainment than a car or potential future trip (as if!) so we may be entering a boom-time for AVForums also!

Praise the lord for streaming services and thanks for the recommendations - some I can check out.

Just finished Better Call Saul season 5 and amazed at how they've kept the standards and plausibility so high for so long. Agree that the Innocence Files is great if somewhat depressing re the injustice.

Keep up the great work!

The Lyngdorf MP-60 review was the one thing I managed to get finished last week! In all seriousness, I took bank holiday Monday off and I actually spent a couple of days testing other products last week before they were collected on Friday. I ended up spending two days on the MP-60 review, but in my defence it did turn into a 5,000 word epic – so that should help you pass the time when it's published.

Steve good news, sounds like Alex Garland and yourself are on the same wavelength:

In a Collider interview, Garland implied he saw Devs as a closed story with no room for a Season 2. He said: "At the moment, I don't know how to do an open-ended story. I think I probably prefer stories that end, I guess.

"Maybe it's just as simple as that. The idea of reaching the end of Episode 8 and not concluding the story, to me, personally, would be very frustrating."

Just caught up on this weeks podcast - not sure about others but I seem to be not getting through podcasts as quick without having the daily commute anymore!

Really enjoyed Paul’s sector / industry insight this week, good addition and agree be interesting to get him back on in a few weeks / months time depending on how things develop

Thanks as always for your work guys :thumbsup:

Thought readers might be interested in this article in The Times today about the current situation in Hollywood.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom