AVForums Podcast: 19th February 2014

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,168
      This week we discuss:

00:01:30 Did anyone watch Season 2 of House of Cards on Netflix? (No spoilers)
      00:14:30 Are you disappointed with the new series of Top Gear?
      00:17:30 Air ‘Not' Crash Investigations!
      00:21:52 New technology on aircraft
      00:23:55 Bristol Sound and Vision Show Preview
      00:28:30 First thoughts on Titanfall
      00:34:15 The latest Games Podcast
      00:34:53 Will there be any discussion of actual technology in this podcast?
      00:35:57 What’s at the cinema Steve? - Cuban Fury/The Monuments Men
      00:47:12 This week’s Blu-ray releases - Blue Jasmine, Machete Kills, The Fifth Estate, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 and Game of Thrones Season 3
      00:48:42 Who won at the BAFTAs?
      00:53:10 What films have changed cinema in a technological way?
      01:02:22 Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Steve Withers, Mark Botwright and Steve Hill.

Time: 01:04:35 | File Size: 88mb | Direct Link

• Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    2. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,441
      Top podcast chaps, thank you.

I’ve liked Top Gear in varying amounts since the format change – it’s been a bit hit and miss for the last few series though. As Phil mentioned, the cinematography is some of the best on the beeb. I actually thought the supermini challenge at Chernobyl was quite good (for the simple reason that it’s quite an interesting place IMO, and who in their right mind would drive an Up! Through the place). It’s very much entertainment, or Jackass on wheels, these days. Whilst some of the humour is forced, and it’s more often than not all scripted, they always do cracking pieces on the cars that us car nuts are interested in (P1, 918, that sort of thing).
      For real, proper car reviews, 5th Gear has always been better, but they’ve got into the cocking about habit now also. Don’t get me started on both shows obsession with staging drag races – I’m just a pedant for doing it properly.

I’ll be at the Bristol show on the Saturday; looking forward to seeing the JVC(s) on show, and the Optoma. I must not visit the Anthem stand though. Bad things will happen if I visit that stand...

I’m looking forward to Titanfall. Having picked up a PS4 in January, it’s just been sat there since as I’m waiting for the likes of this, and the new MGS to be released. I gave CoD Ghosts a good go, but it’s just a bit ‘mehh’ now.

The BAFTA’s was quite a good watch (Stephen Fry is able to have fun with the audience in a way that Ricky Gervais just cant IMO); I’ve only really had an interest in awards season the last couple of years when there’s been a particular film that I really got into (last year, Skyfall – this year Gravity).

Regarding films that brought something new to cinema, I think the following all had a big influence (granted, mostly from an effects point of view):

Tron
      A couple of years before my time; I understand that it was quite revolutionary visuals wise though.
      The Abyss
      A precursor to T2, visuals wise at least, still looks good for its age (if only the Blu-Ray existed).
      Terminator 2
      I don’t think it looks that dated, certainly the T1000 CG scenes aren’t great, but when you see the behind the scenes docu’s about it, their governing issue back then was lack of computer memory, when a megabit was a pipe dream (nearly). The stunt work however, has stood the test of time IMO. For many it’s still the sci-fi action benchmark, at least until Terminator: The Pension Chronicles gets released, with Arnie back in T800 guise.
      Jurassic Park
      I’ve always thought of it as the last of the truly great films that used animatronics and props, before CG took over. For shear scale of the prop work, I can only think of the Queen from Aliens being on that kind of scale.
      The Matrix
      The blend of CG, kung-fu and some dynamic cinematography, it still looks good today (and it’s 15 years old already – that’s scary).
      Another Cameron piece; still a visual gem – shockingly average film (Sam Worthington – he’s like a young Matt Damon IMO). The use of CG integrated with live action, and the first genuinely impressive integration of 3D.

And now, Gravity (from a technical standpoint, I’ve seen nothing like it). It’s almost a shame that the rendering is so perfectly integrated with the live action, you wouldn’t know what was done on a set and what was CG, so on the face of it, it might not appear that impressive (a doubled edged sword of a compliment). Add to that the use of 3D, and the director’s style of long, flowing scenes, and you have something that is as much a thrill ride as a film.

This of course is only relevant up until when Nurse 3D gets a 3D Blu release...

3. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      That Netflix recomeditions are on the x360 and xone apps atleast :cool:

4. davidm

davidm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +146
      Great podcast again guys.

I found the Netflix an interesting one as I have just signed up for the service (due to House of Cards Season 2) and tried various ways of watching through Apple TV, PS3, Chromecast or Panasonic TV.

Easily the best is the Chromecast/Smartphone combination - brilliant to use and easy to find what you are looking for.

No use if you would like to watch another region of Netflix though - PS3 wins hands down with that. Again good app and easy to use.

I found the worst by some distance (disappointingly) is the Apple TV, slow speeds and poor UI.

It is surprising how different the various implementations are - but found the Netflix service to be excellent.

Keep up the good work.

5. bootyman81

bootyman81
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,026
      Ferris Buellers day off was another film that broke the fourth wall, a lot.

I'm off to watch it now on NETFLIX & then listen to the soundtrack on SPOTIFY.

this post was brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

• Like Like x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List