AVForums Podcast: 16th March 2016 - podcast discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss;

00:01:33 - Current Competitions
00:02:55 - Samsung announce their new TV line-up
00:10:06 - Will Smart TV survive in its current form?
00:22:20 - Which is better Netflix 4K streaming or Full HD Blu-ray?
00:25:36 - Why did 3D TV ultimately fail?
00:39:22 - Films opening this Friday - 10 Cloverfield Lane and Rock the Kasbah
00:42:16 - Blu-rays out this Monday - Game of Thrones Season 5
00:44:49 - Blu-rays released next Monday - Steve Jobs, Black Mass, The Good Dinosaur and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
00:47:42 - Which worthy films should we have seen but haven’t?
01:00:04 - What films haven’t aged that well?
01:04:26 - Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:05:16| File Size: 92mb | Direct Link

Excellent podcast as usual

I'm one of the 3D diehards and I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated cinema room and projector to enjoy it......as you say screen size and immersion is everything as is the "event" nature of watching it

Hopefully they will still release 3D blu Ray versions of 3D cinematic releases time will tell

I wonder how well 4k is going to fare most people I know not bothered by HD and will only upgrade when their TV dies and will likely buy a cheapo " good enough" telly if 4k fits that price then they might

I allude myself to the comments made by the assembled multitude regarding one's eventual demise. Speaking as one who has already "passed over" to the other side.... and made it back (i've been saff of the river guv) I can tell you that there are "those" who do inhabit this strange, ethereal and strange outer nebula. But rarely do "they" cross-back-over to "their" version of the other side... north of the river. :facepalm: It's almost like a form of reverse dopplganger. A very weird anomoly and a somewhat empirical experience. When I get to this idiosyncratic environment I can't get back quick enough to relative normality. :love: Fortunately this is mainly a peripatetic situation and I assure you this is not a singular solipsitic attidude but one shared by many of my peers.

With reference to you Phil. When you were a custodian of the law, which I and maybe others didn't know about.... two questions? When you entered certain peoples domiciles and recoiled in horror at their lack of TV callibrations when their displays were on did you. (A) feel the need to arrest anyone with crimes against incorrect aspect ratio's and. (B) Hit them with your thick stick because of unecceptably high contrast levels? :)

Now onto the 3D debacle. I reiterate my displeasure and extrapolate from the other 3d based thread (In Memoriam: The Death of 3D TV) which I posted on, but with your permission (granted...thank you) I will expound. I have to sadly agree with all of you about the (possible / probable) slow demise of home 3D as well as the reasons you gave for its s-l-o-w disappearence from many of the latest TV's being released now. But understandably I am still somewhat miffed (read pi**ed owf) that on future TV's it may disappear altogether.

Certain titles like the David Attenborough's natural history Sky 3D series on BD would without question lose an awful lot of their impact and viewing pleasure once you have viewed these particular subject matters in this format. Apart from anything else there are quite a lot of films that I have purchased in this format, like many others on these forums, at a premium over and above the price of the equivalent single 2D only versions, although I do wait for price drops or buy at "cex". So if everything 3D goes pete tong as far as future TV's are concerned when I am forced to replace my present display several years from now I will not be a happy bunny. I as with many others won't be able to watch these discs and they will simply become redundant. Also, once again, like many others one of the reasons I forked out for my particular TV was the 3D option (a Panny 50" VT30). I already had a good 2D BD player the venerable LG BD 390, which is still very much alive, but when I purchased the Panny VT30 I bought, a short while after, a "Panasonic" 3D enabled BD player model DMP BDT 500 specifically for 3D duties. So all in all I 'aint 'appy. :mad: :thumbsdow

Oh by the way nice poddy as usual guys, hmm nearly forgot about that. ;)

Last edited:
Great podcast as usual, Cheer's lads. I am one of the minority who still enjoy viewing 3d at home on my TV and will be sad at it's demise. I actively still purchase 3d Blu-ray films at a cheaper price from cex or Amazon when the movie has been out for a while. I was looking forward to The Force Awakens on 3d br but it will have to be on normal Blu-ray for the time being which I will purchase on release day and await the 3d release. The smart TV functions on my Panasonic tv are never used and I would happily trade that feature for improved picture performance.

I was looking forward to The Force Awakens on 3d br but it will have to be on normal Blu-ray for the time being which I will purchase on release day and await the 3d release. The smart TV functions on my Panasonic tv are never used and I would happily trade that feature for improved picture performance.

I whole heartedly agree with the smart TV function comments you've made. But with the BD release of "The Force Awakens" I will wait for the reviews on the 3D version if it is to be released later than the 2D version. I'm probably one of the few that didn't see this at the cinema but i'll admit that I will be looking forward fervently to the films' release on BD. Having said that I will still do a "wait and see" policy for reviews on the 3D version before eventual purchase of either the 2D only or, presumably, the 2D / 3D combo version.

I purchased the 2D only version of the latest "Godzilla" film some time ago because the reviews given (generally) of the 3D iteration wasn't universally great as large sections of this film were in dark murky visuals. Visually dark films, as most of us know especially on these forums, are pretty much a waste of time in 3D because of the (active) glasses effect. So I will bind my time as difficult as it will be on this one.

By the way the AV forums review of this 3D iteration backs up my feelings, maybe not 100%, but nevertheless basically sums up many of my machinations on visually dark films made in 3D either natively or in post as this one was. ;)

Godzilla Blu-ray Review

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom