AVForums Podcast - 14th August 2013

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,020
    Welcome to the AVForums podcast. Every Wednesday we will bring you the latest home cinema, movie, games and tech news and opinion.

This week we discuss;

00:01:06 – Pram News: Ed updates the team on the delivery of his £600 purchase
    00:02:03 – 4K TV price drops from LG & Samsung knock money off their curved OLED TVs
    00:07:49 - Tech News - Asus product launch details
    00:12:21 - New iPad rumours
    00:17:45 – Japanese Toilets hacked!
    00:21:50 - Games News - there is none as the games podcast is also live today, so we just discuss some TV shows we have seen recently
    00:26:28 - What's at the Cinema, Steve? Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
    00:31:27 – What's at the Cinema Steve? The Lone Ranger
    00:34:58 - Will Hollywood implode under bigger and bigger budgets?
    00:45:16 - Blu-ray posts a sales rise, plus we discuss the same films we have bought over multiple formats...
    00:56:23 - Goodbyes & Ends (badly)

Follow us on Twitter - @AVForums or Like us on Facebook – http://www.Facebook.com/avforums
    If you like the podcast, please leave a rating on iTunes.
    You can also send us questions or suggestions for topics to cover to Podcast at AVForums dot com

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Simon Crust, Mark Botwright, Mark Hodgkinson and Ed Selley.

Time: 00:57:53 | File Size: 80mb | Direct Link

Please leave your feedback and your opinions on the subjects discussed below.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
  2. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    As usual a homely and enjoyable pocast guys I look forward to it each week including "pram news update special"....s**t what a sad life I lead. :rolleyes:

Anyway the piece about "the bogs" reminded me about a situation that happened to me some time ago, so if I may I will elucidate.

My parents-in-law live in Leeds and when we go up to see them for a few days they always take us to a restaurant called "Murgatroyds", the main speciality is fish & chips and they are located in the Yeadon area of Leeds. They are in a way a smaller version of "Harry Ramsdens" anyway I digress somewhat.

I was in need after my main course of some light relief, so to speak, so I visited the toilets to have a pee. After completing the "call of nature" I flushed the appliance only to be met with a groaning / grinding sound as if someone was 'aving a problem and then seeing a unit going around the bowl self cleaning it with (by then) a musical accompaniment. I had such a fright I almost cr***ed myself and I only went in there for a wee wee.

So you see Steve you don't have to go to Japan (collective moan) to see modern lavatorial technology in action. I believe these wonders of bog self cleaning marvels have now been removed since my last visit. This is possibly due to the fact that (1) there are quite a few coach parties that arrive here with our erstwhile more mature members of society, and there is a very good chance that the process of the self cleaning action with the sound of electronic / mechanical moaning and grinding, plus music eminating from around the cubicle might well kill them. :devil: Or (2) it could well be that they were giving too many technical problems, either way it certainly nearly made me c**p myself and i'm only 61.

Anyway for those interested in a nice fish & chip meal and your in the area (other food is avaliable) I have pasted their website below.

By the way I only counted three beeps, so not up to your usual standards then....we demand more. :lesson:
    ==========================================================
    As an addendum, on my last visit wifey ordered the senior citizens meal for me (although wifey wanted it because the amount of food was less than the regular one) and the b******d waiter didn't even flinch and say "surely not for this gentleman madam, he can't be 60 or over he looks too young"....I DON'T LOOK 60+. Wifey thought this was most amusing....I didn't. :( Wifey by the way is 9 years younger than me and also doesn't look her age. :devil:

Welcome to Murgatroyds

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. Drumbeeter

Drumbeeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Steve, you mentioned there is no anamorphic DVD of True Lies? I have the region 4 un-cut version and its anamorphic! Please don't take this as a smug post - I just wonder whether I have a rarity in my collection?!?!

4. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
    Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,532
    Thanks Drumbeeter, I didn't realise there was an anamorphic Region 4 DVD, I was only aware of the Region 1 and 2 versions. To be honest I hardly ever watch DVDs these days but I'm looking forward to both The Abyss and True Lies hitting Blu-ray next year.

5. Drumbeeter

Drumbeeter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I agree... As much as I love the film, my region 1 non-anamorphic region 1 DVD of The Abyss is shelved forever since HD came along! Roll on next year!