AVForums Podcast: 13th May 2015 - podcast discussion

Can we please get the link/s to the documentaries as mentioned in the podcast

Thanks

I watched Star Wars 'The Beginning' and 'Empire of Dreams' last night, and they are a great watch. With 'The Beginning', Steve mentioned in the podcast that during first-cut screenings of The Phantom Menace, George Lucas acknowledges that casting Jake Lloyd as Anakin was a mistake, and while they did say that the first-cuts of the movie were a disjointed mess, I heard nothing about Jake Lloyd being wrong for the part or not being able to act. Was this maybe in another documentary?

In 'Empire of Dreams', and mostly while shooting the first movie, it was weird seeing just how rubbish it all looked behind the scenes. I can fully understand why the cast and crew thought it was going to be a load of old tosh that bombed at the box office. Funny how it ended up being the complete opposite of that.

Lucas discusses his doubts about Lloyd earlier in the documentary when he questions whether an eight year old can deliver a decent performance. Ultimately he has to start taking part of a shot of one take and part of a shot from another take and compositing them together to get a halfway decent performance. In defence of Jake Lloyd he hardly had a decent script to work from or a director who knows how to deal with actors. I mean Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson are all good actors but they're awful in The Phantom Menace.

Jar Jar Binks was let down by his script too :)

Jamie Benning's 'Raiding The Lost Ark' is a fascinating watch. I'm really looking forward to watching his other Filmumentaries. I did start to watch 'Star Wars Begins', but after 40 minutes, I just had to watch the movie, so I'll go back to it over the weekend.

Last edited:
So you recorded the gaming podcast early and it's still not released "on time". :nono:

Better late than never...

I really quite like these new UHD Samsung's and LG's, they're beautifully made - it's the first time in many years I've contemplated buying a TV...

Some good Blu-Rays I've not managed to pickup yet, Foxcatcher and A Most Violent Year in particular (Oscar Isaac seems to be able to do no wrong, faultless performances in most things recently). Also worth a mention, I think it was released this week, I've seen it in Tesco for a whole.. £7 - the 20th Anniversary re-mastered Apollo 13... (4K master from the original 35mm print). Bargain :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom