AVForums Podcast 13/04/20: AV Lockdown Thoughts, AV News, Film News, Reviews and more...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Start
00:00:26 - Thank you, key workers - what have we done this week?
00:24:47 - AV News
00:35:09 - Steve reviews the Emotiva XPA-11 Power Amplifier
00:45:07 - Ed reviews the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt
00:47:47 - Film reviews: The Rhythm Section, Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpions Revenge
00:54:23 - 4K and Blu-ray releases this week
01:00:24 - TV and Streaming releases this week
01:02:18 - Gaming News: New PS5 controller revealed
01:08:06 - Streaming News
01:13:28 - Our AV Lockdown thoughts so far
01:33:07 - Goodbyes
01:34:25 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley, Cas Harlow and Mark Botwright

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:34:25 | File Size: 172mb | Direct Link

Hmm, I'm struck by the concept of a good-looking power amplifier! Let's see now ... here's the Yamaha MX-A52000, here's the Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3, here's the IOTA AVXP1 seven-channel amplifier which Mr Hinton reviewed here.

@Steve Withers @Phil Hinton A slightly more serious point is, if one had unlimited space on one's AV rack (and a strong back since the IOTA weighs 30kg) how about buying two IOTA AVXP1's instead of either the eleven-channel Yamaha or the Emotiva? That would in fact be cheaper, since the IOTA costs only £1059 each? The main thought in this comparison would be pure audio performance of the Emotiva or Yamaha against the cheaper IOTA. The two seven-channel IOTAs would enable exotic room connections like 7.1.6 or 9.1.4 ....

Last edited:
Another great podcast as usual, keep up the good work.

Will you be getting in the new LG HU85LS UST Laser projector in, as it is a DLP that is supposed to have a WCG and doesn’t use a colour wheel? (Expensive though)

Bill

Another great podcast as usual, keep up the good work.

Will you be getting in the new LG HU85LS UST Laser projector in, as it is a DLP that is supposed to have a WCG and doesn’t use a colour wheel? (Expensive though)

Bill
I happen to have that right now, but haven't tested it yet.

Funnily enough this popped into my fb feed today.
I think it may have been a Sharp that Phil 'calibrated' but the Currys 'expert' deemed to know better :laugh:
Screenshot_20200413-204252_Facebook.jpg

Gadget Show 2012

Ok the most important (1) Bring back 3D for the new bring back 3D thread.

(2) As far a working is concerned as you were mentioning this subject towards the end of the poddy. Unfortunately working from home (name and avatar gives it away) is somewhat difficult unless I play with model taxis. I have mentioned on two another threads in detail my specific situation so I won't do it here ("going stir crazy", and "the self employed are you worried") but I gave my rented taxi back as it's a complete and utter waste of time out there. So far the fleet owner I rent my cab from has received over 100 taxis back out of the two hundred or so they own.

I haven't worked for almost three weeks and I wouldn't be too surprised if this goes on for at least another month or two. But as mentioned on the other threads, and once again without going into all the details, my situation is nowhere near as bad as others in my trade or those in other professions who are self employed. But one thing's for sure it 'aint fun not being able to earn a living.

Wifey is a teacher for special needs and gets her income regardless
1586811068575.png
(it's closed for the moment for obvious reasons) and now buys the weekly food shop and at least I get the state pension so that means I can pay for the utilities. I have kept myself occupied (so far) by doing certain jobs around the house which aren't desperate by any means but I felt needed doing if I had the spare time, and boy do I have the spare time. At least I will get (but not until around June time and as with others who are self employed) 80% of three years worth of net average income from one's profit and loss accounts. Anyway nice poddy as usual guys, keep well and keep safe. Luv LT. ✌ 😘

Addendum: Like the picture of Indiana Jones and The Golden Bog Roll. 🤭

Last edited:
Thanks for the Podcast, & loved the "ROTLA 2020 Edition" pic! :thumbsup::rotfl:

Nice podcast guys.

I'm thinking using cheaper AVR as processors is probably exactly what the manufacturers don't want people doing. Never the less there are plenty doing it me included.

The problem is it would be nice if you didn't have to have such a huge box as a processor. It would be great if they upped the pre-outs on something like the Marantz NR1710 so it at least had 5.2 instead of 2.2 on pre-outs. Looks like dropping the FM antenna board would leave enough room for it. I would argue more people would use the pre-outs than the FM radio built-in.

Half way through and loving this week's edition. Listening to Steve at the start, we could end up with Falling Down II in the West Country by the end of the month. Weapon(s) of choice?

Great podcast guys - laughing my head off on my dog walk. I'll think of you @Steve Withers next time I go for a poo, and @Ed Selley it's not Canon v Nikon anymore, all the pros now use Sony. :)

New TV show DEVS from Alex Garland on BBC2 and iPlayer:
Screenshot_20200415-162329.png

Am I the only one to have noticed Mr Withers's subconscious pun when he said at 21:24 "crappy one sheet, not as nice" in the hilarious discussion about bog roll? :clap:

Mind you, I'm right with him regarding not dumping anywhere but at home, out of embarrassment. So much so that if I (sadly, very rarely!) find myself in an overnight hotel room accompanied by someone with a double-X chromosome, I'll use the toilets in the hotel lobby rather than dump in the hotel room toilet!

And I wish that I had thought of the lead picture of Indiana Jones trying to get the very valuable gold toilet roll, it's a brilliant idea! Except that, in Edinburgh, we can now get toilet roll, rice and pasta. What we can't get at the moment are flour and eggs!

Last edited:
Am I the only one to have noticed Mr Withers's subconscious pun when he said at 21:24 "crappy one sheet, not as nice" in the hilarious discussion about bog roll? :clap:

Mind you, I'm right with him regarding not dumping anywhere but at home, out of embarrassment. So much so that if I (sadly, very rarely!) find myself in an overnight hotel room accompanied by someone with a double-X chromosome, I'll use the toilets in the hotel lobby rather than dump in the hotel room toilet!

And I wish that I had thought of the lead picture of Indiana Jones trying to get the very valuable gold toilet roll, it's a brilliant idea! Except that, in Edinburgh, we can now get toilet roll, rice and pasta. What we can't get at the moment are flour and eggs!
I was having a flashback to the Seinfeld episode where George is naming all the best office toilets throughout Manhattan during that discussion.

Here we general still had toilet paper and eggs are still available, but I’m struggling to find flour, yeast and Grand Marnier.

Got to agree with Cas

I watched Scorpions Revenge on the weekend and really enjoyed it, even the wife watched it all & she hates so called 'cartoons'

I was having a flashback to the Seinfeld episode where George is naming all the best office toilets throughout Manhattan during that discussion.

Here we general still had toilet paper and eggs are still available, but I’m struggling to find flour, yeast and Grand Marnier.
That formed the basis of the Seinfeld reunion within Curb Your Enthusiasm. George had made a fortune developing the iToilet app, which told you where the nearest decent toilet was. He then lost his fortune thanks to Bernie Madoff.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom