AVForums Podcast: 12th February 2014

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,165
      This week we discuss:

00:00:44 Sony to spin off TV division as a subsidiary
      00:10:00 Is the BBC as free as it’s supposed to be?
      00:17:20 Steve talks about LG’s EA980 OLED TV
      00:23:10 Phil talks about JVC’s new DLA-X700 projector
      00:28:25 Flap over Flappy Bird
      00:35:50 Upcoming Games Podcast for February
      00:38:05 What’s at the cinema Steve? -RoboCop/Dallas Buyers Club
      00:46:30 New Danny Boyle series Babylon, Filth Blu-ray and interview with director Jon S. Baird
      00:48:30 This week’s Blu-ray releases - Captain Phillips, Turbo, How I Live Now and Enough Said
      00:51:13 For Valentine’s Day, the team discuss their favourite romantic comedies
      01:03:40 Goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Steve Withers, Mark Hodgkinson, Mark Botwright and Simon Crust.

Time: 01:04:45 | File Size: 89mb | Direct Link

2. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,441
      Regarding Sochi, all human rights things aside, it’s been quite good coverage thus far from the Beeb. The opening ceremony was quite impressive (no idea what projector setup was being used, but it lit up the floor well enough). The fire alarm going off just before the men’s biathlon was an interesting one...

I’ve not seen the 2014 JVC’s in action, but both the X500 and 700 sound like they’re cracking bits of kit. The inclusion of a dynamic iris seems a little odd, and in the real world, un-necessary. I’ve never found myself wanting a lower black floor on my X55; JVC’s just have a knack of producing a beautifully filmic image and excellent blacks. Had a D.I. not been included, I cant think of anyone actually demanding one – that’s how I view it at least.

Robocop – most of the reviews coming in seem to tally, it’s not as bad as anybody expected. Unfortunately, I cant help but think that all these remakes of films that never really needed one, often harm the original. The only saving grace is that a new generation may get drawn to the original upon hearing from us praise the gore, violence and satire. For a modern take on Robocop, I think the closest we’d get would be Dredd, in terms of general tone, which correctly (IMO) chose the R rated rather than 12A ‘money maker’ certificate.
      Dallas Buyers Club – not seen it yet, hoping my Blu copy arrives in the next day or so.

Favourite Valentine’s movie...well Nurse 3D hasn’t been released yet, but it’ll be up there. This is based on a good Easter film being the original Robocop, and a good Christmas film being Ronin...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    3. UkDraken

UkDraken
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14
      Surely, if we're talking a combination of Sci-Fi and Valentine's day movies then Bladerunner has to be at least in the top two or three. Hmm?

4. UkDraken

UkDraken
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14
      Especially with the revelation that she'd been created with no termination-date. (omitted in the original cut).
      This film has so much emotion in it that it's the one I always use to introduce any prospective girlfriends to the Sci-Fi genre.
      Roy's final soliloquy, alone:
      "I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched sea-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.... All those... moments... will be lost in time, like tears in rain"........
      I was a battle-tested soldier when I first watched this film and I'm not ashamed to admit it made me weep.
      I defy anyone to remain unmoved by this visually stunning and beautifully crafted movie.

5. UkDraken

UkDraken
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14
      Oh Hell, don't do that! You could always take out her batteries.
      (Or shoot her if you're from Texas). :D

6. UkDraken

UkDraken
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14
      Alas, none of them created by a genius in artificial-intelligence.
      And how in Hell did you know my former rank?
      Do we know each other, sir? o_O

7. UkDraken

UkDraken
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14
      .....Or just a coincidence, perhaps.
      When you say I must have a lot of women stashed in this country, I take it you mean America?
      I'm in touch with a few over there but being in England limits my contact to affairs of the more electronic variety. Limited, but more convenient than crossing the big pond, wouldn't you agree?

I find many American girls enjoy Sci-Fi only if it's Anime, (There's a lot to admire in the Japanese culture, but their love of bad cartoon animation isn't in my list).

8. Nostromo71

Nostromo71

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +387
      Another great listen lads :)

Talking about the old-school difficulty level of Flappy Bird. I've been playing video and computer games since 1983 (or 1978 if you include those TV muliti game systems), but damn! Old school games were frustratingly difficult. Aside from a few Beat 'Em Up's on the Super Nintendo and the Neo Geo, I never completed a single game during the 80's and most of the 90's. I think the only game I ever managed to complete on the PS1 was 'Silent Hill' in 1999. I know my gaming skills have always been pretty poor, but the difficulty of so many games just took all the fun out of it for me, so I usually gave up half way though. I played my first 'Shooter,' which was 'Gears of War,' in 2007 and completed it without too much screaming at the TV. I enjoyed the hell out of that game, and since then, I've gone on to complete dozens of FPS/TPS games. I love that modern games are so much easier to complete, as Game-Rage isn't pretty :nono::rotfl:

• Like Like x 2
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • List