AVForums Podcast 09/03/20: Q Acoustics Subwoofer & Vertere Turntable reviews, plus 4K discs and more

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
00:00:00 - Sponsor Message
00:00:46 - The Great Bog Roll Debacle - What we did last week
00:15:46 - Current Competitions
00:18:22 - AV Hardware news
00:36:14 - Steve reviews the Q Acoustics Q B12 Subwoofer
00:41:57 - Ed reviews the Vertere DG-1 turntable
00:45:18 - Movie news
00:53:33 - Cinema releases this week
00:57:06 - 4K and Blu-ray disc releases this week
01:01:39 - TV & Streaming round-up
01:17:54 - Goodbyes
01:18:46 - Ends

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Cas Harlow and Steve Withers

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Time: 01:18:46 | File Size: 143mb | Direct Link

MD recording: They really don't want us to record audio these days, now most Amps have deleted the digital audio out sockets. I use the optical out from a Panny Freeview recorder, although my monster ancient Denon has digital audio out still, happily.
Release the new Bond on 4K disc please. CV-19 is highly likely to re-appear next autumn, as you guys mentioned.. It's quite difficult to reach the minimum 60% alcohol level needed, to kill it, by just drinking red wine, but I'm trying.. !

MD recording: They really don't want us to record audio these days, now most Amps have deleted the digital audio out sockets. I use the optical out from a Panny Freeview recorder, although my monster ancient Denon has digital audio out still, happily.

Why would you want to spend time recording anything in such a manner in real time? Most people have the hardware available to them to rip the digital audio from discs as files. If wanting to copy discs you've legally purchased for your own use then you are better off ripping them as opposed to having to play them and then recording the audio stream in real time. Ripping the files is technically illegal though, but no more so than copying the content in real time.

By the way, the new War Of The Worlds series is also on Fox and isn't exclusive to SKY or Now TV.

Virgin Media also include it as part of their catch up service depending upon which TV pacage you have with them. Other than this, it airs at 9PM on a Thursday.

Last edited:
I don't use MDs to rip CD's. I use MDs to record from the radio...and then edit... I don't record the BBC R1 or 2, or any commercial stations tho..

Last edited:
MD was a great format, a bit fiddly to add the titles to tracks using the remote though. Perfect for copying your CD's for portable MD player use - I had the MZE30 which was tiny, plus an in car player. No problems with skipping playback, due to the buffer system. Happy days....

Last edited:
With regards to production in China I can say this.

The endless emails to my business asking for work have started again today! :facepalm:
It's been so quiet but unfortunately it has started again.

Anyway this suggests that there is some movement on production again in China.

Thanks gents for this week's words of wisdom.

You are now my go to place for advice on dealing with coronavirus.

With regards to production in China I can say this.

The endless emails to my business asking for work have started again today! :facepalm:
It's been so quiet but unfortunately it has started again.

Anyway this suggests that there is some movement on production again in China.

Hah, yes. It's like someone flicked a switch at 1am and it lurched into life again.

Hah, yes. It's like someone flicked a switch at 1am and it lurched into life again.

One of the pictures of the assembly workshop a toolmaker sent me today isn't encouraging

Assembly Workshop 1.JPG

seems to be something missing????????

BOND talk.

Daniel Craig hosted episode 5 of SNL/SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.

He briefly mentioned the Bond Movie delay due to Public Health reasons. AVAILABLE ON NOWTV/SKY.

There is a Fake Bond Movie sketch. The first 10 seconds I thought it was genuinely a clip from the new Bond Movie - Movie Camera used to film it and black movie bars.

Also a very funny sketch about Coronavirus where Craig plays a Bond Villain.

BC7C29BE-FA85-44C0-9813-8C512815DDCC.png
68E1E4D9-6948-49E6-B95F-EA3D5F0E7A78.png

What’s the expert view on pairing the Q Acoustics b12 sub with the 7000 series of Q acoustics home cinema speakers. I want more bass but don’t want to buy a whole set of new speakers. Would the B12 be too overpowering of the 7000 hence it has not been recommended ?

Listening to a different podcast today it was mentioned that a documentary “No Manifesto : A Film About Manic Street Preachers” has popped up on Amazon Prime video. As they’ve been mentioned on the podcast various times, I thought I’d post it here!

I think quite a few films will be put on hold delayed, or cancelled...until the world deals with this. The new batman, was due to start some filming in Liverpool next week according to local news, but not sure that will happen now. I also expect the AV industry to be affected by this, like production, release dates of new equipment. I can't see things like the ps5 being released on time, think that's why Sony are keeping tight lipped.

MD was a great format, a bit fiddly to add the titles to tracks using the remote though. Perfect for copying your CD's for portable MD player use - I had the MZE30 which was tiny, plus an in car player. No problems with skipping playback, due to the buffer system. Happy days....
A recent Techmoan:

I think quite a few films will be put on hold delayed, or cancelled...until the world deals with this. The new batman, was due to start some filming in Liverpool next week according to local news, but not sure that will happen now. I also expect the AV industry to be affected by this, like production, release dates of new equipment. I can't see things like the ps5 being released on time, think that's why Sony are keeping tight lipped.
New Batman movie?

New Batman movie?
Yep..Robert Pattison as " The Batman"...Ben Affleck walked away from the project, plenty of info out there in google land

Haha T is my middle name...very fortunate initials considering the hobby I like :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom