AVForums PC Game of the Year 2011 - Vote Now

What is your PC Game of the Year 2011?

• Total voters
:hiya::laugh:

Is it really only 30 minutes long?

:hiya::laugh:

Is it really only 30 minutes long?
It suits Irgsefton, it's the only game he's managed to complete in between needing a nap :D

I was going to vote for Skyrim, as it is completely worthy of the title.. And to say it wouldn't be, is an insult to the developers. The scale and scope of the game is breathtaking, not to mention the art direction being astounding. Although, I feel that people just look at simple facts when making their decisions, for example - "300 hours of gameplay! GOTY!".

Skyrim - Not my GOTY
Gameplay:
Like:
  • The game feels solid. When I hit something with my sword, I feel like I'm hitting them with my sword.
  • The amount of depth involved in the game is insane. There are 100s of books scattered around, all telling tales. You can get lost in this game, it's as deep as the ocean.
  • Professions, enchanting... The list goes on. There's so much to do, learn and master.

Dislike:
  • The user interface. It's awful.
  • On more than 'rare' occasions, dragons won't attack, even if I attack them. They even flew backwards.
  • The game is still addled with bugs, and it removes some of the immersion for me.

Characters:
Like:
  • The characters are wholly believeable, which makes you want to go fetch their stolen jewlerry from bandits in a mountain, just for a few cabbages in return.
  • The majority of the voice acting is great. Like I said, the characters are believable.

Dislike:
  • As opposed to the world, as a whole, I've only felt myself connect with a few characters. My main gripe with this is when I'm running around with my House Carl. After a horrendous battle, or on the completion of a dungeon, I'd at least expect her to say, "Heyzeus! Dat vas tough, ja?", or at least thank me for supplying her with the best of gear!
  • People hold grudges, for the most trivial of things. An entire village frowned upon me because I tried out some 'Doggie Target Practice'!

Graphics/Art:
Art:The game looks more like a painting, as opposed to a technical masterpiece. I could literally sit and watch the clouds swirling around mountain tops for hours. It's mesmerising.
Graphics: The dynamic lighting system they have is amazing. That's about it. It really brings the game to life. Shadows are poor, textures are poor... From a technical standpoint, this game is stuck in 2005.

The game that really stole the show for me, not even in terms of raw-gameplay (even though, I thought it was pretty solid), but in terms of voice-acting, graphics and detail - It would have to be Batman: Arkham City.

Batman: Arkham City - My GOTY

Gameplay:
Like:
  • The fighting is still fluid, fast and simple. You are Batman!
  • The animations are astounding.

Dislike:
  • The movement could feel a bit clunky at times.
  • Snipers. I hate them.

Characters:
Like:
  • First things first, Mark Hamill as The Joker, literally amazing, as ever. Without him, Arkham City (and Asylum) would of had no soul.
  • Hamill's laugh will haunt my dreams, forever.
  • All of the characters we're excellent, even the inmates were believable. All of their actions/reactions were always in context to what was happening in the story.

Dislike:
  • Batman himself was a bit shallow. I think he had 10 lines of script throughout the whole thing.
  • The inmates would repeat some of their lines.

Graphics/Art:
Art: The entire city is classic noir.. Dark, dingy, run-down - It was captured perfectly.
Graphics: UE3 - What can't it do? Thankfully, they have included high-resolution textures for the PC version. Making this game look amazing. Wish I could say the same for Skyrim.

I think I prefer Batman over Skyrim just because of Hamill/Joker.. His character is so complex and unpredictable, but he pulls it off.

Last edited:
Can we have an abridged version please? :D

It's hard to leave out Skyrim but I have to go for Portal 2 as a genuine step forward for gaming in general. Skyrim is more of a polished less tedious Oblivion then a massive step forward. Batman would be my no 3, narrowly beating out Witcher 2 and Deus Ex HR.

I don't play the games but it seems strange that the latest Call Of Duty isn't in the list at all.

It's hard to leave out Skyrim but I have to go for Portal 2 as a genuine step forward for gaming in general. Skyrim is more of a polished less tedious Oblivion then a massive step forward. Batman would be my no 3, narrowly beating out Witcher 2 and Deus Ex HR.

I don't play the games but it seems strange that the latest Call Of Duty isn't in the list at all.

That's because the new CoD is just the same game, with a new number.

No love for minecraft?

Skyrim..... I think i would rather wait for Fallout 4 using the skyrim engine.

That will be my game of the year when its finally released.

No love for minecraft?

Skyrim..... I think i would rather wait for Fallout 4 using the skyrim engine.

That will be my game of the year when its finally released.

I'd prefer it if they actually made a new engine, rather than copy and pasting the previous one and adding in extra shaders!

Battlefield 3 with a late surge overtakes Skyrim!

Those are my two games of the year, so looks like justice is being done.

Battlefield 3 with a late surge overtakes Skyrim!

Those are my two games of the year, so looks like justice is being done.
I didn't have you down as being a traitor :(

Was a close run thing for me between BF3 and Portal 2, but I went Portal 2 in the end as I loved the way the story worked. I'm so glad MW3 is not near the top.
Bastion was an amzing game and probably came in at No 3 for me... good to see indy games making the list.

1. Arkham City
2. Battlefield 3
3. Portal 2

You read my mind! I absolutely love Arkham City...just skulking around taking out bad guys for ***** and giggles is awesome :devil:

One more character stud to find in Lego harry potter 2 then i can start Batman or Trine 2. Really looking forward to Batman, heard a lot of good things.

I'd prefer it if they actually made a new engine, rather than copy and pasting the previous one and adding in extra shaders!

I really don't see that happening.

Fallout 3 used the oblivion engine, and since they just finished the skyrim engine im certain that's what they will use for the next fallout game.

It costs too much and takes too long to make an engine of that magnitude.
No studio in their right mind would start from scratch again.

I suppose they could use a different engine (like frostbite 2) But since Bethesda already have a really good engine there's no need to pay royalties to another company.

Skrim does use a new engine. Yes its based on the old one but it is actually a new engine. valves own source engine which is actually an enhanced quake engine as what i heard.

edit: here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_(game_engine)

its a heavily modified quake engine, So by your definition, even the Source engine is not a brand new engine made from scratch.

1: BF3 for the win baby :)
For me it has been a game with a lot of hype around it and it's engine and I have to say I was blown away with the looks and every friend I have shown it to has been equally impressed!
Also the DEV team behind the game seem to really care about the end users and their customers from what I have seen. in the last week alone how many revisions of the server side software have we seen? 3-5?

They seem to take pride in providing a good end user experience and actually appreicate their customer base..unlike the devolopers of Black-Ops which left us in the dark for so long despite having a server and a lot of members on here having bought the game.

Really a top notch title for me!

Now my 2 and 3...to be honest here I have not really played any other games that much this year which are real 2011 releases.
However I will post what I expect to be my 2 and 3 which I am hoping to pick up in these xmas sales!

2: Assassin's Creed Revelations - Loved AC:2 and AC:B and from the looks of this game it will be a stonker!
I have lost a few hours to these games and it is always satisfying killing someone of pulling off a cool move and then blending into the crowd again.

3:Skyrim- looks epic! And I do like the sound of all the small mods that have been made for the game so far to give it better looks etc.
I really enjoyed Dragon Age (1st one) and I hope this game will be a similar experience to it but with updated looks and ways to interact.

Portal 2 or Arkham City?
Arkham City or Portal 2?

Grrrraaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnggghhh

Portal 2.

You read my mind! I absolutely love Arkham City...just skulking around taking out bad guys for ***** and giggles is awesome :devil:

I like clearing a room and leaving one baddie left with a gun. Hide and disable the gun with the remote. Then drop down and watch him try and shoot you. Makes me laugh :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom