AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies? (20/10/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we go head to head as we argue for our favourite decade of horror movies and look at some of your choices too! PLUS a podcast exclusive competition.

Presented by Tom Davies with Mark Costello and Steve Withers

This weeks’ podcast is sponsored by the 'Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Diamond range.

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:24 - Welcome
00:02:00 - Competitions
00:05:40 - Dune movie review
00:14:00 - Halloween Kills movie review
00:18:18 - What are ongoing horror franchises?
00:19:43 - Best decade for horror movies? 1980s?
00:23:40 - 1970s?
00:28:18 - 1960s?
00:33:27 - Other decades of horror
00:51:48 - Best new Blu-rays coming soon
00:55:40 - Best new movies and shows streaming soon
00:58:04 - Podcast competition

Towards the end of the podcast, we ask you the question for this week's competition. When you know the question, select the correct answer in the competition here. https://www.avforums.com/competitions

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
I can't decide between 70's and 80's !!!

I like a good horror move but I much prefer a great horror comedy. Getting that balance between scare, laugh and gore right produces some of the most enjoyable movies I can think of. Tremors, Evil Dead II & III & the utterly OTT Ash vs Evil Dead TV series, Arachnophobia, Fright Night, Tucker & Dale vs Evil to name some of my favourites.

Excellent podcast. 🙏🏻 you guys know your stuff.

I liked Drag Me To Hell from 2009. It was a shining point in the decade despite it not being fantastic.

Great podcast chaps, but I'm firmly with the '60s as the best decade. American cinema went from Psycho to Night of the Living Dead, Hammer, Tigon and Amicus were on fire with a run of excellent films including Repulsion, Taste of Fear and Quatermass and the Pit, Japan would produce films which are still being copied today, in Brazil Coffin Joe was being the gothic to South America and Italy would give birth to gialli.

The 2000s weren't all that bad if you look outside of Hollywood remakes. We got The Orphanage, (REC), Ju-On, Audition, Jennifer's Body, The Loved Ones, Let the Right One In, Martyrs, Inside, Ginger Snaps and the ones mentioned in the chat.

Last edited:
In the 00’s you also have Let The Right One In, loved this film.
Also The Descent, Shaun Of The Dead and The Mist off the top of my head.
Agree it wasn’t the best, which is obviously the 80’s or maybe the 70’s 🤔

Great podcast chaps, but I'm firmly with the '60s as the best decade. American cinema went from Psycho to Night of the Living Dead, Hammer, Tigon and Amicus were on fire with a run of excellent films including Repulsion, Taste of Fear and Quatermass and the Pit, Japan would produce films which are still being copied today, in Brazil Coffin Joe was being the gothic to South America and Italy would give birth to gialli.

The 2000s weren't all that bad if you look outside of Hollywood remakes. We got The Orphanage, (REC), Ju-On, Audition, Jennifer's Body, The Loved Ones, Let the Right One In, Martyrs, Inside, Ginger Snaps and the ones mentioned in the chat.
Ah missed you said Let The Right One In, also agree loads of great J horror, Dark Water was also good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom