AVForums Movies Podcast: Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
We discuss the phenomenon of basing movies and TV shows on toys and board games and try and work out if it has ever been a good idea. We also find out your opinions on the best and worst toy-inspired movies. PLUS, we introduce our newest AVF movie reviewer, Mark. AND there will be a podcast exclusive competition.

Presented by Tom Davies, Simon Crust and Mark Costello

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:24 - Welcome
00:02:13 - Competitions
00:07:50 - This week's recommendations
00:13:20 - Toy (and board game) based movies
00:13:19 - Clue (1985)
00:19:20 - Transformers (2007)
00:26:28 - Dungeons and Dragons (2000)
00:35:23 - Masters of the Universe
00:37:40 - Lego
00:39:05 - Battleship
00:52:17 - Our picks for the best TV coming in August
00:58:17 - Podcast competition - Win Toy Story 3 on 4K Blu-ray

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMrH

A toy movie that I love that manages to exist without the actual toys is Joe Dante’s Small Soldiers (Big Battles!).

Regtastical

Thoroughly enjoyed tonight’s podcast — I do have dungeons and dragons somewhere on DVD, back in the day it was one of my guilty pleasures haha, I’m gonna dig it out and watch it this weekend 😛

Fasen

As always a pleasure. And nice seeing Cas in the live chat as well! And a big welcome to Mark :hiya:

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
As always a pleasure. And nice seeing Cas in the live chat as well! And a big welcome to Mark :hiya:
Thanks mate! Cas just can’t keep away can he……..always heckling…….always heckling…….. ;)

Last edited:

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the movie recommendation, Solomon Kane is on my watch list for the weekend.
You mean after Young Guns II of course............;)

LicensedTaximan

I missed the actual live poddy transmission 🤫 but I agree the first Michael Bay Transformers movie was the best. Not too much CG, which was imo quite amazing and still stands up with the best today, plus a pretty decent storyline. This is opposed to the rest of the sequels which dived at ninety degrees (apart from Bumblebee) and mashed ones brain with a mind numbing CG fested mallet complemented with incomprehensible and risible garble. I am, as with yourselves, also surprised that none of those films (even the sequels which were crud) ever got an award for those CGI effects.

Enjoyed the poddy even though Simon nicked my tag line winner on another poddy some time ago when he reviewed Godzilla vs Kong quoting.... "The biggest mash up since the potato ricer". 🤨 ;)

PlexShaw

@Tom Davies With regards to Leos Carax's Annette being available on Prime from 20 August, it's worth pointing out that this is only in the US. As far as the UK goes, it's being released by MUBI in cinemas on September 3 before arriving on MUBI on November 26.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
@Tom Davies With regards to Leos Carax's Annette being available on Prime from 20 August, it's worth pointing out that this is only in the US. As far as the UK goes, it's being released by MUBI in cinemas on September 3 before arriving on MUBI on November 26.
That IS worth knowing. Gosh darn it. We have to wait for everything!

flipfella

This new movie podcast format is much better, talking about a movie subject instead of just a single new movie. It also gives the opportunity to discover/rediscover old movies to watch.

Also the fear of new movie spoilers is gone.

Thanks.

CLH

Battleship is a bad film. And one that I can watch over and over and over.

There is a level of genius that took place in a (possibly drunken) pitch meeting where some writers went, how can we transfer this? I know, what IF, in an age of amazing technology, the two parties (including an advanced alien civilisation) cannot tell where the other party is when shooting at them? We will base the film on that. Oh, and we should probably call it Destroyer, but there is a Battleship for about 15 minutes or so. But we can get away with that because the game had destroyers too.

At least with Transfomers or GI Joe it was a bit easier. No, hats off to the writers and producers who got this one made. Nuts.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom