AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we discuss cinema in a post-pandemic landscape and the new regime of expediting theatrical releases to streaming services. We also talk about the future of cinema, as well as some of the hidden gems which bypassed it altogether and landed direct on streaming. All this plus our top Blu-ray sets of the year AND a podcast exclusive competition.

Presented by Tom Davies, Cas Harlow, Simon Crust and Mark Costello.

This podcast is sponsored by the Philips OLED+ TV. Redefining what’s possible in the premium TV market. Discover more at https://www.philips.com/oled+

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

Towards the end of the podcast, we ask you the question for this week's competition. When you know the question, select the correct answer in the competition here. https://www.avforums.com/competitions

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:17 - Welcome
00:02:21 - Competitions
00:05:04 - Ghostbusters Afterlife review
00:12:55 - Recent cinema release successes
00:16:47 - Is watching movies at home better?
00:34:54 - Best streamed movie premiers of the year
00:46:47 - Best disc releases of the year
01:04:19 - Best streamed content coming December
01:10:07 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
It was suggested during the discussion that Kino Lorber's UHD release of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is hard if not impossible to now get hold of,. While this disc was for a short period hard to get hold of after the initial run had sold out, it is now relatively easy to get a copy. You can even get it via Amazon UK and they'll import it for you:

Amazon product

The current price isn't the lowest it has been available for either. It was available for just £19.99 at one point.

Amazon basically do this with all of KIno Lorber's 4K disc releases and make them readily available to UK customers.

The only thing you cannot now get hold of is a copy of the KL UHD release of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with its original slip cover. Only the initial run came with a slip cover.

Last edited:

Fasen

Another good one, keep up the good work :)

Jessica Noir

Outstanding podcast as always. Interesting point about the lack of 4K release for Censor as that was meant to be coming from Vinegar Syndrome who have worked wonders with even the ropiest materials into glorious 4K. Just look at their UHD releases for Sex World and, as mentioned on the podcast, the eternal classic Tammy and the T-Rex.

Some terrific streaming releases this year as studios decided that the money from a quick sale is better than taking their chances at a smaller slice of the box office. Highlights for me included I Care a Lot, Greenland, The Green Knight, Bo Burnham's Inside, The Outpost, The Fear Street Trilogy and the trashy but oh-so-enjoyable for fans of '90s erotic thrillers, The Voyeurs. I would say Sound of Metal and Collective, but they got cinema releases as well.

I'm surprised just how well premium VOD is working out. I think it was The Hollywood Reporter who ran a piece about how No Time to Die only went into the black thanks to PVOD.

Last edited:

Pogg

This week we discuss cinema in a post-pandemic landscape and the new regime of expediting theatrical releases to streaming services. We also talk about the future of cinema, as well as some of the hidden gems which bypassed it altogether and landed direct on streaming. All this plus our top Blu-ray sets of the year AND a podcast exclusive competition.

Presented by Tom Davies, Cas Harlow, Simon Crust and Mark Costello.

This podcast is sponsored by the Philips OLED+ TV. Redefining what’s possible in the premium TV market. Discover more at https://www.philips.com/oled+

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

Towards the end of the podcast, we ask you the question for this week's competition. When you know the question, select the correct answer in the competition here. https://www.avforums.com/competitions

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:17 - Welcome
00:02:21 - Competitions
00:05:04 - Ghostbusters Afterlife review
00:12:55 - Recent cinema release successes
00:16:47 - Is watching movies at home better?
00:34:54 - Best streamed movie premiers of the year
00:46:47 - Best disc releases of the year
01:04:19 - Best streamed content coming December
01:10:07 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.
Find myself agreeing with Cas on these 2 points.

CODA Movie is superb on AppleTV+. Best new movie i have seen in 2021/2020.

Also the Video quality for AppleTV+ is very noticeably better then other Streaming services. Disney+ gets close sometimes but audio is compressed.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
As mentioned by most of the guys, I'm not interested in renting. £15 a pop despite them being an early release is too much for me. When they do come up for purchase on iTunes a little later, it's rarely more than £13.99. But for that early release, I'd stump £15 for the right film.

As for streaming quality, since moving I barely have enough bandwidth for UHD HDR, so would love to have the ability to download a higher quality film for the convenience of not having to get off my fat arse to choose, but that ain't gonna happen. God, I miss my 500mbps connection.

So realistically I'm back to disc purchases, just at the wrong time it seems.

Pogg

As mentioned by most of the guys, I'm not interested in renting. £15 a pop despite them being an early release is too much for me. When they do come up for purchase on iTunes a little later, it's rarely more than £13.99. But for that early release, I'd stump £15 for the right film.

As for streaming quality, since moving I barely have enough bandwidth for UHD HDR, so would love to have the ability to download a higher quality film for the convenience of not having to get off my fat arse to choose, but that ain't gonna happen. God, I miss my 500mbps connection.

So realistically I'm back to disc purchases, just at the wrong time it seems.
What is your current Internet download speed? 500mbps was great.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
What is your current Internet download speed? 500mbps was great.
18-21mbps

Was on Virgin, now on country bumpkin speed :(

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Streaming has come a long way and I'm particularly impressed with Disney+. The 4K stream of Infinity War/End Game is very close to the 4K blu ray.

Pogg

It’s a shame no option for this service in Europe yet:

Apparently even higher quality then Blu Ray.

Jessica Noir

It’s a shame no option for this service in Europe yet:

Apparently even higher quality then Blu Ray.
You can get Kaleidescape in the UK but the prices will make your eyes water. The quality of the files does sound incredible. Best of both worlds, the ease of use of streaming with the lossless audio of blu-ray. They also have loads of films in 4K that aren't available elsewhere. My main concern would be is it worth it? With compression improving constantly, soon you won't need to download 100GB files for a film when you can stream a similar quality of iTunes. But if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd totally get one.

Here's a UK retailer. Kaleidescape

Pogg

You can get Kaleidescape in the UK but the prices will make your eyes water. The quality of the files does sound incredible. Best of both worlds, the ease of use of streaming with the lossless audio of blu-ray. They also have loads of films in 4K that aren't available elsewhere. My main concern would be is it worth it? With compression improving constantly, soon you won't need to download 100GB files for a film when you can stream a similar quality of iTunes. But if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd totally get one.

Here's a UK retailer. Kaleidescape
Thank you. I had assumed it wasn’t available because cannot recall a discussion in the AVFORUMS weekly podcast, whereas it’s frequently referred to in American based AV Enthusiasts.

Perhaps a big Tech Giant like Amazon, Apple or Google buys them and makes it available at more affordable prices.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom