AVForums Movies Podcast: News of the World Review, Film & TV Show News & Reviews (15/02/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the first movies podcast from AVForums. The podcast will stream live on the third Monday of the month. This month we review News of the World starring Tom Hanks, plus we look at what is coming soon to premium rental and streaming services, as well as what the team has been watching this month.

00:00:00 - Welcome
00:02:50 - Competitions
00:04:39 - What have we been watching?
00:27:04 - The best picks of movies and shows coming soon
00:52:18 - News of the World (Netflix) review and discussion
01:13:45 - Best western movies discussion
01:33:33 - Other reviews of News of the World
01:42:50 - Coming next month

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Simon Crist and Tom Davies

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Links to the audio versions will appear once the podcast has been live-streamed on Monday the 15th.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Phil

Enjoyed listening to the cast, will this replace part of the weekly podcast, the film element of the software section?

It was great to hear more in depth conversation on the programmes discussed, looking forward to this podcast have bigger titles to discuss, but also look forward to hearing about the series/films that I might not otherwise look at.

Thanks Gents. I agree with the post above; it was nice to hear long, relaxed discussions about certain Movies & also genres. Will definitely tune for the next one.

P.S. the "Best Western" comment was excellent - Holiday Inn Express for next Month?

What a great start for the new podcast. I really enjoyed it and I like the idea of dedicating more air time to general movie discussion both new films and old. I'm sure most of us have home cinemas because we love movies so it makes sense to put the spotlight on the content.

There are plenty of great movie podcasts but not too many that focus purely on the release of home media, being streaming or discs (fingers crossed that they last).

A few ideas might be too concentrate on one directors output or one actor. I also love retrospective podcasts where they take a second look at some older titles that may have been maligned at the time or just passed people by.

Keep up the excellent work everybody.

go to the movies GIF

Last edited:
An excellent start I think; I like the focus on one specific film per podcast, along with the 'coming soon' to streaming. As noted by Simon, it's odd that some of the streaming platforms get a hard time when they aren't launching new shows / films constantly, because just between Netflix and Prime, there's such a vast array of catalogue titles, that you never really run out of things to watch.

The 'best of genre' is a good feature - especially when you cast a broader net on a genre, as there's some excellent modern shows and films that have the DNA of a genre but are presented in a different guise.

American Graffiti; when I heard it was coming to streaming shortly, I went and re-watched my Blu-Ray copy (which I only ever watched once previously). It's one of those films that's sold as something entirely different to what it is IMO. There's some lovely Americana auto related stuff, but it's wrapped up in the sort of 'coming of age' teen drama that I cant get excited about. As a car enthusiast it's one of those must see films, but I always leave it thinking "nice cars, but not that interested in some school leavers going on one last bender". :laugh:

Very enjoyable podcast. Will definitely watch the next one :thumbsup:

Great first episode guys. Loved your Western chat and @Casimir Harlow, I thought Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia WAS a western given that we don't get any sign of it being set in the 20th century until we see a plane take off once the order for Alfredo's head has been given. Up until then, it's been horses and antique pistols.

Going forward it would be great if, like the regular podcast, you could get guests on from some blu-ray labels. Given that UK companies like Inidicator, Arrow and Second Sight seem to be doing some of the best work in the world with their releases, it would be great to hear about the hard work they do.

How can you not get a lump in the throat watching her at the end of that long rope, the look in her eyes, and the resultant ending. It got me, for sure..
The best film this year, so far, for me.

How can you not get a lump in the throat watching her at the end of that long rope, the look in her eyes, and the resultant ending. It got me, for sure.
The best film this year, so far, for me.
I haven't seen the Movie, but at first look this sounds like a big spoiler for the ending?

Sometimes you have to watch a film a few times - that scene in her parent's shack - the look on Hank's face when he is told: "She doesn't need books" - and her beaming smile at the end of the film.
Magic. ( It didn't need a better score. That subtle banjo music was just fine. )

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes you have to watch a film a few times - that scene in her parent's shack - the look on Hank's face when he is told: "She doesn't need books" - and her beaming smile at the end of the film.
Magic. ( It didn't need a better score. That subtle banjo music was just fine. )
Could have done without that hint as well. Hopefully by the time I get around to watch it, I won't remember them.

Last edited:
I can't believe no one mentioned Tombstone, in my book one of the best westerns & on screen performances ever, really enjoyed the podcast & I can defo recommend Boss Level ;)

Excellent podcast, it’s great to have deep dives into movies/shows.
I was impressed with the homework @Simon Crust put in given the lists he has ready.

I second the recommendation above for the amazing Tombstone and add the vastly underrated Quick and the Dead.
Going old school I also liked High Noon.

Special mention for the Aussie western The Proposition, which is brutal to say the least.

Open Range and Hostiles are head and shoulders the best Westerns I've seen since the turn of this century.

Can I also just say that a huge trick was missed to get national press attention for the podcast.

When @Tom Davies said he was going to get the book out for @Phil Hinton mistakes, Phil missed the chance to go full Jackie Weaver with his authority :)

Can I also just say that a huge trick was missed to get national press attention for the podcast.

When @Tom Davies said he was going to get the book out for @Phil Hinton mistakes, Phil missed the chance to go full Jackie Weaver with his authority :)
“You have not authority here Tom Davies, NONE AT ALL!”

OK so let's see what this Paradise PD is all about. I mean I've watched Archer so had bad can it b......oh dear lord avert your eyes and cover your ears my child the man on the podcast wasn't lying!

I have to respectfully but strongly disagree with most here.
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Based on a book I found the gentle pace a refreshing change and something I quickly relaxed into. The acting was excellent and completely fail to understand the criticism of this, particularly the girl who was suitably understated given her experiences in life
A comfortable 8 out of 10 for me and I would recommend it. One caveat. Just be in the mood for a gentle paced movie with atmosphere and what I thought was a quite realistic feel to it. If you’re re expecting violence and cynicism then look elsewhere

Welcome to the first movies podcast from AVForums. The podcast will stream live on the third Monday of the month. This month we review News of the World starring Tom Hanks, plus we look at what is coming soon to premium rental and streaming services, as well as what the team has been watching this month.

00:00:00 - Welcome
00:02:50 - Competitions
00:04:39 - What have we been watching?
00:27:04 - The best picks of movies and shows coming soon
00:52:18 - News of the World (Netflix) review and discussion
01:13:45 - Best western movies discussion
01:33:33 - Other reviews of News of the World
01:42:50 - Coming next month

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Simon Crist and Tom Davies

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Links to the audio versions will appear once the podcast has been live-streamed on Monday the 15th.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Great start guys. :clap:

If you like Groundhog Day mash ups AND Andy Samberg, you must watch Palm Springs, which i thought was hilariously goofy.

Anyone remember that band Ed was talking about that sounded similar to stevie nicks. I remember them talking about it on one of the podcasts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom