AVForums Movies Podcast: Have We Seen the Last of the Action Heroes? (18th August 2021)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we discuss the greatest action stars of the 80s and 90s, their legacies and the state of the movies they're making now. Is there a future for action heroes in cinema? We also find out your opinions on the best and worst action movies. PLUS a podcast exclusive competition.

Presented by Tom Davies with Simon Crust and Cas Harlow

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:49 - Welcome
00:02:30 - Competitions
00:05:57 - Cas' favourite action movies. Die Hard
00:07:32 - Simon's favourite action movies. The Terminator
00:26:09 - Tom's favourite action movies. Total Recall
00:30:28 - Best action movies
00:39:41 - The fall of action stars
00:53:48 - Are action heroes a thing of the past?
01:02:05 - September TV recommendations
01:04:51 - Podcast competition

This week's podcast is sponsored by Humax Aura. Until the end of August 2021, there is £30 off of the Aura range. Find out more and save by visiting: Humax Direct | Freesat, Freeview, Youview, Smart Home & Humax Eye

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

Pogg

Nando’s run out of Chicken. I tell you it’s the end of the world as we know it. The End starts with Nando’s running out of Chicken, then Global Tide Waves as per holy scriptures predicted.

Fasen

Great podcast!!

I have to second Simon , The Terminator is an AWESOME movie. I was blown away when i saw it as a kid (not old enough to see it) and i still love it. T2 also good, but not as menacing as the first one.

Die Hard, yes, John Wick yes , Aliens yes, all absolute classics.!!

And yes, the Mission Impossible series are also very good. :thumbsup:

MrMrH

The action movies that always spring to my mind are Aliens and Commando.

What I like about Aliens and Terminator is they are Action movie sequels where the first movie was essentially a Sci-Fi Horror.

Outside of franchises there's still a decent number of good action movies coming out in recent times (that's from the top of my head),
Atomic Blonde
The Old Guard
Gun's Akimbo
Gunpowder Milkshake
Nobody
Boss Level
The Tomorrow War
Riders of Justice
The Raid
... There's also the John Wick series which was a fresh IP that came from nowhere, as was the Kingsmen.

And yes ... Edge of Tomorrow is an absolute Cracker!!!

Mr-Mixalot

Just like @Casimir Harlow I was introduced to action movies at a very young age, one of the first that sticks in my mind is obviously The Terminator, I actually remember going to the video shop & asking the owner for the poster so that I could put it on my wall

I have too many favourites but Robocop sticks in my mind as I got permission from my parents to bunk off school for a day and take some family friends to see it to pass the time until they got home from work ..ah the memories

Another one IMO the best ever film set in a jungle AKA Predator

Currently going through the old classics and introducing the kids to them, tonight its

The Last Boy Scout

I wish I was young again to get that feeling of watching them the first time around

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Nando’s run out of Chicken. I tell you it’s the end of the world as we know it. The End starts with Nando’s running out of Chicken, then Global Tide Waves as per holy scriptures predicted.
I have honestly been puzzling this one out all day.
Is it code?
I love it.

scrowe

Distinguished Member

Habanero

I quite like the "Taken" films, but do they qualify as "action"? Liam Neeson has done several similar films since, but also falls into the "fall from grace" category thanks to him almost making it too real.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Just like @Casimir Harlow I was introduced to action movies at a very young age, one of the first that sticks in my mind is obviously The Terminator, I actually remember going to the video shop & asking the owner for the poster so that I could put it on my wall

I have too many favourites but Robocop sticks in my mind as I got permission from my parents to bunk off school for a day and take some family friends to see it to pass the time until they got home from work ..ah the memories

Another one IMO the best ever film set in a jungle AKA Predator

Currently going through the old classics and introducing the kids to them, tonight its

The Last Boy Scout

I wish I was young again to get that feeling of watching them the first time around
Yeah this is same for me mostly. But Commando is just delightfully redonculous.

Last Boy Scout is amazing.

Joe Hallenbeck:
Leather pants.

Jimmy Dix:
Yeah.

Joe Hallenbeck:
What's something like that run?

Jimmy Dix:
Six-fifty.

Joe Hallenbeck:
Six hundred and fifty dollars?

Jimmy Dix:
Yeah.

Joe Hallenbeck:
They're pants.

Jimmy Dix:
Yeah.

Joe Hallenbeck:
You wear them?

Jimmy Dix:
YES.

Joe Hallenbeck:
They don't, like, have a TV in them or something?

Jimmy Dix:
Nope.

Joe Hallenbeck:
I am very old.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom