AVForums Movies Podcast: 2021's Sci Fi Renaissance

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we discuss the best science fiction from this year from cinema, streaming and disc releases. We also talk about the future of the genre over the next 12 months, as well as Disney's move further away from physical media with its Disney+ IMAX content. PLUS a podcast exclusive competition.

Presented by Cas Harlow with Simon Crust and Mark Costello.

This weeks’ podcast is sponsored by the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin wireless smart speaker

Towards the end of the podcast, we ask you the question for this week's competition. When you know the question, select the correct answer in the competition here. https://www.avforums.com/competitions

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:26 - Welcome
00:02:00 - Competitions
00:05:40 - Disney+ IMAX Marvel movies vs Blu-ray versions
00:16:34 - Netflix loses Star Trek: Discovery to Paramount+
00:20:22 - What got us in to sci-fi? Sci-Fi of the 70's and 80's
00:30:12 - 2021 Sci-Fi movies - what's good?
00:34:40 - Memorable Sci-Fi on Blu-ray
00:43:00 - 4K Blu-ray Sci-Fi wish list
00:53:03 - Sneak peek at December's streaming and Mark's 4K Blu-ray picks
01:00:00 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fasen

Excellent podcast. :D Mark reminded me of lots of movies i had forgotten about. City of lost children, Dark Cityetc etc. Brilliant!!

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Being a Sci Fi fan since the very beginning, I loved this episode of course.
@Mark Costello - I'm old enough to have seen the very first Doctor Who episode "live" - loved it, but as soon as the Daleks turned up in Episode...2 was it? I was straight behind the Sofa! Scared me to death!

Aliens & Sunshine are my 4K Santa List :)

Regtastical

Fantastic podcast last night. I was smiling all the way through it. Simon getting his Blus out was a real highlight - love the passion!

Keep up the outstanding work - also great hearing Cas reading out my name :rotfl::rotfl:

MrMrH

Some excellent callouts, Dark City is fantastic I remember when I watched it thinking that's how Neo should have been fighting at the end of the Matrix.

Sunshine is also brilliant, imagine what that would look like on a super bright (3-4,000 Nits TV ... you really would need sunglasses for the bright bits.

I have an honest question, is there a way to describe the difference between the lossy audio from streaming Vs the High Bitrate Audio on Discs?
I lean heavily towards streaming purely based on convenience (and not currently owning a Disc Player as I wait for the Xbox Series X to come back in stock) and the audio is adequate but I am curious what I am missing.

Last edited:

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
Some excellent callouts, Dark City is fantastic I remember when I watched it thinking that's how Neo should have been fighting at the end of the Matrix.

Sunshine is also brilliant, imagine what that would look like on a super bright (3-4,000 Nits TV ... you really would need sunglasses for the bright bits.

I have an honest question, is there a way to describe the difference between the lossy audio from streaming Vs the High Bitrate Audio on Discs?
I lean heavily towards streaming purely based on convenience (and not currently owning a Disc Player as I wait for the Xbox Series X to come back in stock) and the audio is adequate but I am curious what I am missing.
In my very flowery and totally un-technical point of view, the difference in the audio between streaming and physical media isn't actually a huge amount in most cases. As long as you are comparing apples with apples for want of a better term.......

On my modest kit (see my sig), it pretty much translates into a slightly 'fuller' sound on disk, it sounding a touch 'meatier', with a bit more in the lower and top ends. Volume levels can be different which adds a different perception to the track as well, with having to urn your kit up louder making it grunt a little more.....Fundamentally its usually the same soundtrack, just with less bandwith applied to it - its the same almost as comparing a lossy Dolby Digital soundtrack on a disk to a lossless Dolby TrueHD one on a disk. That of course assumes it IS the same flavour of soundtrack ie 5.1 vs 5.1 and not a stereo soundtrack on streaming compared to a full on Atmos track on disk.......

For me, streaming (and by steaming I mean digital purchases, rather than Netflix/Amazon/Disney + casual views) is no longer the poorer cousin/red headed step child in terms of quality. Sure, I can compare a £3.99 4K iTunes purchase to a £24.99 disk purchase of the same film and find the picture and sound slightly better on disk.......but the value equation kicks in for me (I'm an accountant, what can I say.....) and its certainly not over 6 times better!!!!!

And of course, kit will also make a difference to the perceived differences.......

Do quick sample yourself - find a blu of a film that you either have purchased digitally or is streaming and do a Pepsi challenge on it, see for yourself!

MrMrH

In my very flowery and totally un-technical point of view, the difference in the audio between streaming and physical media isn't actually a huge amount in most cases. As long as you are comparing apples with apples for want of a better term.......

On my modest kit (see my sig), it pretty much translates into a slightly 'fuller' sound on disk, it sounding a touch 'meatier', with a bit more in the lower and top ends. Volume levels can be different which adds a different perception to the track as well, with having to urn your kit up louder making it grunt a little more.....Fundamentally its usually the same soundtrack, just with less bandwith applied to it - its the same almost as comparing a lossy Dolby Digital soundtrack on a disk to a lossless Dolby TrueHD one on a disk. That of course assumes it IS the same flavour of soundtrack ie 5.1 vs 5.1 and not a stereo soundtrack on streaming compared to a full on Atmos track on disk.......

For me, streaming (and by steaming I mean digital purchases, rather than Netflix/Amazon/Disney + casual views) is no longer the poorer cousin/red headed step child in terms of quality. Sure, I can compare a £3.99 4K iTunes purchase to a £24.99 disk purchase of the same film and find the picture and sound slightly better on disk.......but the value equation kicks in for me (I'm an accountant, what can I say.....) and its certainly not over 6 times better!!!!!

And of course, kit will also make a difference to the perceived differences.......

Do quick sample yourself - find a blu of a film that you either have purchased digitally or is streaming and do a Pepsi challenge on it, see for yourself!
Thanks for that, I think I will do the Pepsi Challenge, though with the absence of a disc player I will try the Bravia Core stream of Blade Runner 2049 (I got 5 tokens with my new TV and that's a completely worthy movie for to be used for that) against the copy I already have in iTunes.

I'm very much the same with regards to the value proposition, I have a sizable iTunes library and am loyal to them on account of their free upgrades from HD to 4K/HDR which a good number of mine have upgraded to over the years. My physical disc collection is limited to "Waterloo" on Bluray and "Ghostbusters 1&2" on 4K.

Pogg

Thank you Sci-Fi Wizards for brill podcast.

TRANSFORMERS 1&2 are Awesome, but TRANSFORMERS 3 is Awesomer and TRANSFORMERS 4 is Awesomest.

Anyway, best Sci-Fi Movie is Alien vs Predator. However it is based on actual events so I understand you not including it in Fiction.

Jessica Noir

@Mark Costello - thanks for mentioning William Malone's much under-seen Creature. The saints at Vinegar Syndrome are indeed bringing it to blu-ray from a 4K scan, but no 4K UHD disc sadly. Hopefully getting a copy in next weeks Black Friday sale.

With you regarding buying digitally. I still buy some physical releases, but for the slight drop in quality compared to the fraction of the price, it's a no-brainer. Also, finding out the film you bought for less than a pint has been upgraded into 4K DV with Atmos overnight is a great feeling.

Pogg

It would be great to do a Podcast about classic popular TV Shows not available easily in the UK.

I used to Watch “The Cosby Show” a super family comedy show. Can’t find it anywhere now.

Jessica Noir

I used to Watch “The Cosby Show” a super family comedy show. Can’t find it anywhere now.
🤣🤣🤣 Yeah, crazy that it’s seemingly disappeared!

Pogg

This week we discuss the best science fiction from this year from cinema, streaming and disc releases. We also talk about the future of the genre over the next 12 months, as well as Disney's move further away from physical media with its Disney+ IMAX content. PLUS a podcast exclusive competition.

Presented by Cas Harlow with Simon Crust and Mark Costello.

This weeks’ podcast is sponsored by the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin wireless smart speaker

Towards the end of the podcast, we ask you the question for this week's competition. When you know the question, select the correct answer in the competition here. https://www.avforums.com/competitions

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:26 - Welcome
00:02:00 - Competitions
00:05:40 - Disney+ IMAX Marvel movies vs Blu-ray versions
00:16:34 - Netflix loses Star Trek: Discovery to Paramount+
00:20:22 - What got us in to sci-fi? Sci-Fi of the 70's and 80's
00:30:12 - 2021 Sci-Fi movies - what's good?
00:34:40 - Memorable Sci-Fi on Blu-ray
00:43:00 - 4K Blu-ray Sci-Fi wish list
00:53:03 - Sneak peek at December's streaming and Mark's 4K Blu-ray picks
01:00:00 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.
What a complete mess up by Disney. So since they added this rubbish IMAX format they removed DOLBYVISION, HDR10 and ATMOS from many Sony TV’s. Also removed ATMOS from AppleTV4k and even iPad/iPhone which support DV/ATMOS.

Jessica Noir

What a complete mess up by Disney. So since they added this rubbish IMAX format they removed DOLBYVISION, HDR10 and ATMOS from many Sony TV’s. Also removed ATMOS from AppleTV4k and even iPad/iPhone which support DV/ATMOS.
I just watched Chang-Chi in Atmos/IMAX enhanced last night on my Apple TV 4K so I’m pretty sure they still carry the format.

Pogg

I just watched Chang-Chi in Atmos/IMAX enhanced last night on my Apple TV 4K so I’m pretty sure they still carry the format.
Thank you Jessica, but It did not show up as Atmos on my AppleTV4k device. Actually no ATMOS for any Disney+ content.

Jessica Noir

Thank you Jessica, but It did not show up as Atmos on my AppleTV4k device. Actually no ATMOS for any Disney+ content.
The home screen wasn’t showing the Atmos label, but when you play the film the Atmos comes on.

Pogg

The home screen wasn’t showing the Atmos label, but when you play the film the Atmos comes on.
Thank you. Just checked you are right. However no Atmos or DOLBYVISION/HDR10 via Disney+ App for all Disney content on my Sony AF9 TV since IMAX was added.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom