AVForums mobile app launched

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Ok, just installed the new ios app after finding the old one no longer worked and do not like the ads at all.
Is there any way of turning them off?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Ok, just installed the new ios app after finding the old one no longer worked and do not like the ads at all.
Is there any way of turning them off?
No, we need to pay for the servers to maintain the forums.

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
Something does need doing about the ads though its just going to push people to tapatalk (I'm on the verge)

Plus when you hit reply its 50/50 whether you can or you open an add

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Ads issue aside, where's the subscribed threads option?
And at the moment it seems I have to scroll all the way to the top to use the unread/participated/all links.

Edit: ah subscribed threads is now Favourites :)

Last edited:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Ads issue aside, where's the subscribed threads option?
And at the moment it seems I have to scroll all the way to the top to use the unread/participated/all links.

Edit: ah subscribed threads is now Favourites :)
Yeah there shouldn't be any missing functionality. It's just in a different place.

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
anyone able to edit comments? Everytime I try (and its way more fiddly than it used to be) it says 'failed to load'

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
anyone able to edit comments? Everytime I try (and its way more fiddly than it used to be) it says 'failed to load'
Yeah, I've done it earlier.(and again in this post :) )
Touch the post, select More, then Modify, then Edit.
A couple more things I'm not liking is I'm not getting any Notifications of post updates.
And when text gets down as far as the Twitter birds and settings icon the text starts to fade and you cannot see what your writing without scrolling up a bit.

Last edited:

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
The search isn't as good as the old app. You could search posts by username only and now you can't. Not that I can see anyway.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Im starting to get notifications now on iOS :).
There was also an option with the old app to turn off email notification of any replies when subscribing to a thread which I don't seem to be able to do with this app. Any ideas on how to stop the emails?

tredman

Distinguished Member
It seems exactly the same as tapatalk 1, but with extra ads - can't see any reason why someone would use it over normal tapatalk?

Hades

Distinguished Member
This free though. I'm sure you have to pay for the Tapatalk app.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Tapatalk is £1.99 or Tapatalk 2 £2.49, not sure what the difference is.

Made the mistake of getting 2 on my iPhone earlier, just went to install it on my iPad, but it wants me to pay another £2.99 for the hd version. I think not :(

Hades

Distinguished Member
I bought the iPad HD version a while back, just waiting for the long awaited update to enable notifications and the Tapatalk 2 UI.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
The ads are a right PITA, can we not have a paid for version without ads too? I'd quite happily donate some funds to the cause! I have Tapatalk but I hate using it as switching forums on there is a right faff, would rather have an ad-free dedicated AVF ap.

Yaka

I Have got tapatalk but can't seem to find avf on it. I'd buy tapatalk 2 just to be without the adds but as I am on a jail broken pre ios 6 phone I can't and am not willing to upgrade an lose my jb apps

richp007

Distinguished Member
I'm still wondering why this new app needs access to my accounts, when the old app didn't.

Anyone know why? An app such as this should not require that permission.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I'm still wondering why this new app needs access to my accounts, when the old app didn't.

Anyone know why? An app such as this should not require that permission.
What accounts are you referring to?

richp007

Distinguished Member
What accounts are you referring to?
The other accounts on your device, e.g. Google, Facebook, Dropbox etc

Why does the new app need permission to interact with these accounts? When the old app didn't?

The permission is listed as -

"Your Accounts"

Find accounts on this device.

"Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications that you have installed."

As I understand it this permission actually allows it to "use" these accounts if it deems necessary. Why would the forum app be given the right to do this now, and why wasn't it previously then?

aliencinema

Sorry if this has been already covered .the new app doesnt allow me to .post replys .advertise.edit anything .have i got something turned off
thanks martin