AVForums Live night #2

mrmcdean said:
OK, not having much joy getting a copy of Far Cry, my local Blockbuster only has 1 copy and its out until tomorrow :thumbsdow

Im affraid I cant bring myself to "rent" from game, one reason being I dont have any money to pay for it up front.

Looks like I may have to miss out :suicide:

I'll try to get online later anyway, play whatever takes my fancy, if there are any spaces etc let me know. Just in case..... ive not played PGR2 much on or offline so dont have any of the expansions or that many unlocked / special cars so I imagine that could cause problems.

Maybe another time (roll on 360 - 7 weeks to go :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: )

I haven't finished the 1 player game yet and only have 1 of the expansions. To be honest I know that i'm not that good at PGR2 (not really put the hours in) so i'm not bothered about winning, just playing for a laugh. :smashin:

CAS FAN said:
I haven't finished the 1 player game yet and only have 1 of the expansions. To be honest I know that i'm not that good at PGR2 (not really put the hours in) so i'm not bothered about winning, just playing for a laugh. :smashin:

Cheers for that CAS, I was just concenred that ive tried to get on with other people who have extra content on other live games and It wont let me join at all and if I have few vehicles unlocked doesnt it mean that everyone works to the lowest level or would it be the case that if my best car was skoda and yours was a GTO you could race your GTO against my skoda (not that im saying that would happen).

Ive had some good races in the past with people much better than me, as long as everyone has a laugh I dont mind someone opening a can of WHOOPASS on me from time to time.

Kopite4Ever said:
CAS i just played some SP of far cry. coming from a guy who thinks the PC version is the best FPS ever it had something to come up against. first thoughts not bad looking for xbox but im used to SM3.0, HDR, Full AA etc so its just not anywhere near the PC. second WOW so many frame rate drops its actually terrible in that department. third the circular reticule is pants, id prefer i proper X hair like the pc. the voice acting is poo from the pc people why didnt they get the same people back. looks like it could be a decent story behind it the xbox is just showing its age IMO, but it looks ok for the xbox.

obviously later i will check out the MP, it sounds fun

:eek: :eek: The X-Box version has HDR and some of the visual effects later in the game (caused by the implant and also the Feral abilities) are amazing. The effect when you emerge from the water and everything readjusts from a blured view is spot on. The overspill of light when looking at a bright light source is very realistic. The atmosphere (again later in the game) created by some really atmospheric graphics and some of the best sound i've ever heard is better than in any game i've previously played.

Yes the higher resolution and full screen AA of the PC version are not there but it's an X-Box game so this is to be expected. The game plays much better though and the Feral abilities make this stand out as a unique FPS game.

The circle reticule works fine for the XB version as being on a console you have to have a degree of auto aim. The closer you get the player to the centre of the reticule the more effective and accurate your shots are. To have a crosshair and rely on the pinpoint accuracy of the PC version would have just created frustration IMO.

Seriously the graphics as you progress in the game are amazing and I wouldn't have thought that they were capable on the X-Box. Yes there's the odd frame rate drop but it doesn't detract from the game for me and they are not that noticable IMO.

The PC version was a great game but I think that the X-box version is equally as good for different reasons. It uses the strengths of the X-Box and doesn't try and compete with the PC version head on and (even though the characters and look of the game are very similar) it is infact a completely different game.

The Live suport is great and the map editor effectively gives the multiplayer game unlimited lasting appeal.

IMO people should compare this more to other top X-Box FPS games (Halo2, Doom3 etc.) and not really to the PC version which is a different beast.

oh dont get me wrong for the xbox its looks great, it does well. i dont know how they implemented HDR because xbox runs on SM1.1 and HDR is only implemented from 2.0 onwards as far as i know. its not the odd bit of framerate drops it was a hell of alot for me and is really really noticable

im sure the live play will make up for it all though its basically why i got it, but it just didnt grip me straight away like the pc version did. im sure it will grow on me after tonights session

Kopite4Ever said:
second WOW so many frame rate drops its actually terrible in that department. third the circular reticule is pants, id prefer i proper X hair like the pc. the voice acting is poo and differnt from the pc people why didnt they get the same people back.
That's weird, I don't think I've noticed any frame rate drop outs yet but I'm spending most of my time sneaking through the undergrowth stabbing mercs or using the oh-so-nice dual wielded silenced pistols :) I've not really gone for the running storm-in type attack yet.

The aiming reiticle is pants - it seems far too forgiving too sometimes (aiming into the distant blue yonder and the guy gets a hole in the head) or wildly inaccurate (aiming right between the eyes and the guy gets capped in the arm and calls all his mates!). I'm letting it slide just now but I'll have to see how it pans out in the MP game.

As for the voice acting, I think the PC version had some unnamed voice-over actors. Now that this is a big Xbox game, they can afford to have Stephen Dorff who it seems, if nothing else, (owing to the intro cut scene) can swear really well.... :rolleyes:

I've just passed the point where I've unlocked the "feral punch" and I'm not convinced I like it. I loved the scenes when I was moving through the jungle taking out the merc camps with stealth but the charging-punching thing? Hmmm... not sure yet :(

Having played both the PC and Xbox versions (played the PC loads on a reasonable PC) i prefer the xbox version.

Yes the PC version is better in terms of graphical clarity/detail and resolution, but the story on the xbox version is better IMO. Also the addition of the feral abilities adds something new.

If you consider the power of the xbox in terms of CPU & GPU then its pretty amazing

Also Live play is brilliant, all modes are really good and some of the maps are just brilliant

I agree Holte! Was a good laugh last night, we had some great games!

I admit that the reticule can sometimes be a bit strange but then I found this in Halo2 as well. You would shoot someone close up at point blank and not kill them, where as you could pick them off at range. I guess a lot of it has to do with how much armour someone has. Even at close range you have to get quite a few shots in if someone has 100 armour.

The frame drops are very small and hardly noticable. They tend to happen if the screen is full of enemies, there's a lot of background in view and there's a chopper about but they don't affect the game in the slightest and 99% of the game runs smoothly.

The feral punch is great once you get used to it. There's nowt like sending a bloke flying off a cliff with a mighty feral punch! The game is very well balanced between stealth and action IMO and there are definately some times coming up where the punch is a must (I won't give anything away but there's one time in particular). If you've just got the Feral Punch then you've just scratched the surface. It seems quite a big game actually as i've played what must be about 4 times further than that and still not finished it :eek: . Has anyone finished it yet and if so how long is it roughly?

Sorry everyone but I am going to have to drop out of the fun tonight :(

I may still get on Live at some point later but it looks like it will be quite late if at all now....I bloody hate work :mad:

mrmcdean said:
Cheers for that CAS, I was just concenred that ive tried to get on with other people who have extra content on other live games and It wont let me join at all and if I have few vehicles unlocked doesnt it mean that everyone works to the lowest level or would it be the case that if my best car was skoda and yours was a GTO you could race your GTO against my skoda (not that im saying that would happen).

Ive had some good races in the past with people much better than me, as long as everyone has a laugh I dont mind someone opening a can of WHOOPASS on me from time to time.
Don't worry mrmcdean - we don't race tracks for the DLC packs if everybody doesn't have them otherwise those without would be stuck in the lobby. In terms of cars, PGR will let you race in any unlocked car (unless the host locks it to a particular class or car) but for straight races, we'll all pick a car class that anyone can choose their own car from or all agree to drive a car that everyone has. You won't have to worry about racing your Skoda against our GTOs other than the fact that if you're driving a Skoda, you're probably playing Rallisport Challenge 2 while we're playing PGR2 ;) (Just kidding - I know it was just an example!)

As for racing with people better than ourselves, my experience on Live is that whether you're having a good race or a bad race, each race seems to split into 2 sets of racers, with 2-4 cars miles out in front as a group fighting for first and the other cars pretty much together further back. You get somebody miles out in front every so often but it's not often that I've seen somebody miles behind :) It sort of ends up as two separate sub-races, both great fun! Either way, we're all in it for a good time and not necessarily to pretend we're professional F1 drivers in the middle of a Grand Prix! The odd clip or nudge when trying to get in a racing line - even if it spins the other guy out completely - is usually laughed off too assuming it's not happening every few seconds :D

MacReady said:
Sorry everyone but I am going to have to drop out of the fun tonight :(

I may still get on Live at some point later but it looks like it will be quite late if at all now....I bloody hate work :mad:
Sorry to hear that MacReady, but thanks v much for letting us know.

Calling MrMcDean! You're up for PGR2 now! See you at 8pm!

I have re-edited the first post to reflect...

Whats the plan for pgr tonite? race on Nurburg to warm up!!! then last man standing? or cat & mouse?

I must admit that the only thing that annoys me about PGR2 is when someone, who's a few seconds back just decides to use me as a brake to claw back those seconds often spinning me out in the process. Accidents do happen as it's a racing game but as long as everyone is trying to race properly then it makes for a good nights fun. I guess there's a fine line between hard and dirty racing.

PooonTang said:
Whats the plan for pgr tonite? race on Nurburg to warm up!!! then last man standing? or cat & mouse?

Sounds good, i'm useless at the ring (not even unlocked it on 1 player yet) but as I therefore rarely get to play it i'm up for that. Think i've played last man standing once but most of my live games (which admitidly are rather few and distant) were just normal races. It would be good to try some of the other modes. :thumbsup:

CAS FAN said:
I guess there's a fine line between hard and dirty racing.
Too true I'm afraid. I know I've missed a braking point on occasion and when you're going 150+ that soon adds up into overshooting the corner by some distance, and can result in loss of control and ploughing into the back of someone. It is all a part of racing and the luck of the draw though, all you can really say is if someone apologises and you know they didn't mean it, you've just got to suck it up. It's usually easy to tell the mickey-takers from the honest-but-not-so-good racers (that's me btw ;) ) though.

I was joking about the ring!!!!! would be nice to run a few tracks beforehand though

PooonTang said:
I was joking about the ring!!!!! would be nice to run a few tracks beforehand though

Aye I guess, maybe some Edinburgh, Barca, Moscow or Florence - can't stand Chicago though as that has to be the gayest collection of 90 degree corners the world has ever seen!

Oh god, im getting sweaty palms now (should that be hairy ??), the pre match nerves are kicking in, never really raced that much so can i apologise in advance, if i get near enough to someone on the corners i'll probably hit you so sorry in advance.

Can someone send me an invite when it gets going as im a little new / rusty at this, I dont have FC so its just the racing this time, cheers.

mrmcdean said:
Can someone send me an invite when it gets going as im a little new / rusty at this, I dont have FC so its just the racing this time, cheers.
No worries mate, just be online, and the invites will come flying in!

yer people just get on about 7:45ish so if we get no show's we have sometime to replace them quickly without eating into our game time. dont worry mrmcdean the nerves will go once your in and we are all laughing and joking over people's driving :devil: loads of fun to be had

Brilliant idea Pooon - LMS played starting in the usual Minis on the 'Ring. 130MPH on a good day around the 'Ring for 2 laps must be about what? 25 minutes a race? :devil:

I don't think I'll hit my optimum play level until I've had a decent warm up actually guys - should be good for some proper racing for about 9:30 :) These two posts combined make for a promising session on PGR tonight:

CAS said:
I must admit that the only thing that annoys me about PGR2 is when someone, who's a few seconds back just decides to use me as a brake to claw back those seconds often spinning me out in the process.
followed closely by
mrmcdean said:
never really raced that much so can i apologise in advance, if i get near enough to someone on the corners i'll probably hit you so sorry in advance.
You guys were just made for each other ;) ;) ;)

Do what I'm most looking forward to about tonight? Everyone is quite happy to admit that they're not particularly great (apart from Pooon and Kopite is making noises about being great too :D ) so there's no ridiculous level of expectation set for the races.

IT'S JUST GOING TO BE FUN!!!!! :clap:

Damn, missed out on PGR by the looks of things, Can you put me down as a back up for the back ups and a bit of halo, had a great evening last time and the misses is out for the night. Hummmmmmmmmmmmm uniterupted gaming, happy days :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Waaaaaaaaa I wanna play. But I have sold most of my live games in anticipation of 360 :( Only really got Halo 2 left and I am well bored of that now......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom