UK Hiking, Hillwalking, Backpacking, Trekking Forum

@Eamo26 Nice to have another keen hiker onboard! Scotland is actually very easy to get around in if you have a reliable car. A few hours drive from the Central Belt can get you to so many different parts of the country. Same situation for myself with the outdoors & hiking being an escape from the daily struggles of life 👍

@Eamo26 Nice to have another keen hiker onboard! Scotland is actually very easy to get around in if you have a reliable car. A few hours drive from the Central Belt can get you to so many different parts of the country. Same situation for myself with the outdoors & hiking being an escape from the daily struggles of life 👍
Do you live in Scotland? You seem to do a lot of hiking there. You're living the life I want.

Do you live in Scotland? You seem to do a lot of hiking there. You're living the life I want.
Sunny Glasgow ☔

As I said it's pretty easy to get around Scotland by car. I love it when I get up past Inverness and into the furthest North part of the mainland. It's real big open widerness up there.

Yeah I know what you mean. We stopped near Aviemore for a week and drove to nairn coast one day, the drive was lovely.

Yeah I know what you mean. We stopped near Aviemore for a week and drove to nairn coast one day, the drive was lovely.
The Whiskey Trail. I've driven it a few times and it is a nice drive.

The Whiskey Trail. I've driven it a few times and it is a nice drive.
Yeah it is. Nairn was nice too bit quiet though half of the shops were shut.
Saw a seal in the sea, the water there is so clear.

Another keen walker/hiker from glasgow here, new tent arrived yesterday and hopefully get some walks done soon, been out on my bike a bit to try and get the fitness up

Another keen walker/hiker from glasgow here, new tent arrived yesterday and hopefully get some walks done soon, been out on my bike a bit to try and get the fitness up
Which tent you picked up? I bought a fjallraven abisko shape 2 the other week… hoping to get it out soon.

Which tent you picked up? I bought a fjallraven abisko shape 2 the other week… hoping to get it out soon.
This year will be my first time camping so I’m a newbie and I bought the oex jackal 2

This year will be my first time camping so I’m a newbie and I bought the oex jackal 2
I have an oex coyote 3 and it's of high quality. The poles can be a bit of a bugger to get in but they're good sturdy alumimium poles and the tent is solid when up.

walkhighlands website is invaluable for info and walk guides. It also has an interactive map of all the hills in Scotland - not just Munros - that you can mark off when done. If you want any advice about good hikes and wild camping spots to get you started, feel free to ask.

walkhighlands website is invaluable for info and walk guides. It also has an interactive map of all the hills in Scotland - not just Munros - that you can mark off when done. If you want any advice about good hikes and wild camping spots to get you started, feel free to ask.
Ye I’ve done tinto, Ben aan and conic hill, I have a slipped disc so I find it very hard so it’s probably my limit, probably what I’m looking for is more trails than munros maybe. My plans for tent are Arran once the warmer weather comes and Isle of Barra.

Ye I’ve done tinto, Ben aan and conic hill, I have a slipped disc so I find it very hard so it’s probably my limit, probably what I’m looking for is more trails than munros maybe. My plans for tent are Arran once the warmer weather comes and Isle of Barra.
Walkhighlands has loads of flat walks too. It's not just hills so I don't want to give that impression. There's loads of fantastic walking in and around the forests at Aviemore and wild camping is permitted all along the beach at Loch Morlich.

What I had hoped would be a Spring camp & hike Sun night/Mon daytime turned out to feel a lot more like a winter one. Tent literally froze during the night and got up to -3.5°C at 7.30am. Taking down the tent was not a pleasant experience on the fingers.

Camped at the Creag Meagaidh Nature Reserve which welcomes free camping & campervan overnight stays. No hook-ups or anything but a nice big car park and cut grass field for camping and a public toilet with sink and hot water. Fantastic views of the stars at night and managed to see a shooting star.

Climbed Geal Charn near Laggan yesterday. Only took me 4.5hrs but felt like a slog and tough going. My fitness must've dropped more than I realise since the start of the year due to having caught a few winter bugs one after another and being unable to exercise. Still, another one chalked off and great views of the surrounding and distant peaks.

20240304_115709.jpg
20240304_120935.jpg
20240304_121409.jpg

What I had hoped would be a Spring camp & hike Sun night/Mon daytime turned out to feel a lot more like a winter one. Tent literally froze during the night and got up to -3.5°C at 7.30am. Taking down the tent was not a pleasant experience on the fingers.

Camped at the Creag Meagaidh Nature Reserve which welcomes free camping & campervan overnight stays. No hook-ups or anything but a nice big car park and cut grass field for camping and a public toilet with sink and hot water. Fantastic views of the stars at night and managed to see a shooting star.

Climbed Geal Charn near Laggan yesterday. Only took me 4.5hrs but felt like a slog and tough going. My fitness must've dropped more than I realise since the start of the year due to having caught a few winter bugs one after another and being unable to exercise. Still, another one chalked off and great views of the surrounding and distant peaks.

View attachment 2015280View attachment 2015281View attachment 2015282
Sue Perb, hopefully I'll get some walks done in April

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom