Quantcast

AVForums Exclusive: Hisense abandons OLED

MEGATAMA

I think this is good move because thy are pushing diferent tv technologies.
It seems that oled come to wall in term of panel progres in last couple years and now thy pushing only softwer/processing.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Not a smart move. They were dumb to jump on the OLED ship and got hit by massive price drops on competitor OLEDs So someone at the top realised it wasn't a wise business move and pulled out quick before it starts biting them bad this year.

In terms of WOLED, I think 1,000 nits is the max it can achieve. I think OLED would do well for 1-2 years before something takes its crown.

Livemo

Let me when Samsung offers 10 years screen burn warranty on their QD-OLEDs.
Samsung don't offer 10 warranty on their oled smartphones, so i doubt it will happen on its tvs. One of the reasons why people buy lcds is because of the less chance of burn in risk, hence why the 10 warranty. But that doesn't cover business use.

weecka

Standard Member
Well for me personally, the only interesting technology is XD series, but since it's not coming to UK then Hisense has nothing to offer. I mean their top LED for 2019 in UK was an edge lit model... while US and other regions got the H9F...

Last edited:

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Well for me personally, the only interesting technology is XD series, but since it's not coming to UK then Hisense has nothing to offer. I mean their top LED for 2019 in UK was an edge lit model... while US and other regions got the H9F...
Their ULED TVs this year are FALD.

weecka

Standard Member
Their ULED TVs this year are FALD.
Yea, but once again we are not getting their top tech, while other regions *cough* US *cough* are being treated as the only foreign region that matters. Just as it was last year. I don't know why they are doing it, maybe they do not have the supply capabilities or something, but it would make sense to have your top products in as many markets as possible.
I know i might sound quite pessimistic, but last year H9F was praised for it's superior IQ for the price it was selling at, and you couldn't get it in UK... I mean it is just weird.

Last edited:

crabby09

Seems to me that the badge still matters when it comes to premium purchases... So they were right to leave the market. Until OLED is mainstream there won't be the trust in lesser know brands.

John

Yea, but once again we are not getting their top tech, while other regions *cough* US *cough* are being treated as the only foreign region that matters. Just as it was last year. I don't know why they are doing it
Simple economics, market of 60m+ vs 320m+

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Says exclusive but Techradar ran this story over 2 days ago.
Our video which contains the information was published 10th January from CES and with the UK marketing manager being interviewed and named on camera. Someone at TechRadar must have watched our video and then called their story an exclusive ;)

THX1138UK

The TV market is very different in the US. There is no competition from Panasonic, but TCL and Vizio are huge. Hisense currently has less presence in the US, but it wants to change that, and needs a high-end product to go head-to-head against TCL and Vizio (these are it's main competitors).

Also, most TVs top out at 65" in the UK, but the American market wants bigger TVs and it's the new kids on the block that have been delivering this at price points that American's are happy to pay.

The high-end TV market in the UK is small and is dominated by Panasonic, LG, Sony & Samsung. I'm sure Hisense calculated that they just wouldn't shift enough ULED XD units to make it worth their while in 2020.

Regards,
James.