AVForums exclusive hands-on with the new JVC Projectors

While I know its not a production machine, how was the 3D compared to last years model? Was there any noticible cross-talk?

Yes still my question I need answered ! Is it worth the Upgrade from an x3 for much better 3d on the X30 ?

While I know its not a production machine, how was the 3D compared to last years model? Was there any noticible cross-talk?

The 3D looked good on both the X30 and the X70 but I won't be able to directly compare my X3 to the X30 until I get one in for review in November.

Why does Steve Carter say that the prices will be released to dealers next week but the dealers already know and are advertising the prices?

Why does Steve Carter say that the prices will be released to dealers next week but the dealers already know and are advertising the prices?

The official dealer launch event is next week. It appears JVC had reported possible prices to some dealers earlier than this, and it seems that told one/more dealers that they could release the information on Tuesday, probably while Steve was in the interview (Steve does not set prices), so he was probably unaware. Officially though though prices are still to be confirmed at the dealer launch next week...

Last edited:
Phil,

Thanks for the great info! Glad to read about the improved motion handling the X70. You mentioned that it is the best you have seen in DILA. Does that include Sony's VW series projectors as well? I know they use SXRD but I think technically they are the same - so just wanted to find out from you.

There is a lot of talk that Sony's motion handling like what is in the VW90 is the best. How do you think the X70 compares?

Also is it safe to say that the red fringing on horizontal scrolling text (and also what you could see in between the black and white lines on a referee's jersey) like what we had with the RS20 is complete gone?

I am very inetrested in just how much better the motion is and 2D performance, the X70 sounds very ineteresting :)

Glad to read about the improved motion handling the X70. You mentioned that it is the best you have seen in DILA. Does that include Sony's VW series projectors as well? I know they use SXRD but I think technically they are the same - so just wanted to find out from you.

There is a lot of talk that Sony's motion handling like what is in the VW90 is the best. How do you think the X70 compares?

Also is it safe to say that the red fringing on horizontal scrolling text (and also what you could see in between the black and white lines on a referee's jersey) like what we had with the RS20 is complete gone?

I thought the X70 had the best motion handling I'd seem outside of a DLP projector and that includes the VW90, which also has terrible 3D.

I've got an X3 and I've never seen any of the artefacts you refer to, can you be more specific?

lovingdvd said:
Phil,

Ric, that fringing is gone on the x7, so it's likely to be gone for good. This is why Steve can't see it on the X3.

So it is it time to upgrade my HD950? Is it that much better? When/where can I see one?

From my report:

The e-shift technology uses a computer controlled refractor to take the original 1920 x 1080 image and displace each pixel by half a pixel diagonally thus producing twice as many pixels. It then treats all the new pixels as a single frame and uses advanced algorithms to analyse the 1920 x 1080 source image to ensure the new image is correctly projected. Obviously the actual panel remains 1920 by 1080 and since real 4K content has four times the resolution and the e-shift creates an approximation of twice the resolution the name is a bit misleading.

So as far as I can work out the e-shift technology does effectively double the resolution which makes the use of the term 4K very confusing because to approximate that would require the resolution to be quadrupled.

Steve

Isn't the JVC also dobling the pixels electronically as well as mechanically, so that the pixel count rises to 4K overall? that's how I read it

Possibly Mike, that would take the resolution up to 3840 x 2160, not quite 4K but close. I'd love to take a look at an e-shift technical paper or at least a more detailed explanation than the one provided by JVC, just so I can fully understand what's going on.

JVC make great projectors but make unreliable bulbs. Yet again I'm having to run my HD1 in high lamp mode to sort out the flicker which starts to happen after 800hrs.

There's also the issue with severe dimming after a few hours of use which many have been experiencing.

Hopefully they've made improvements in this area with the new line.

JVC make great projectors but make unreliable bulbs. Yet again I'm having to run my HD1 in high lamp mode to sort out the flicker which starts to happen after 800hrs.

There's also the issue with severe dimming after a few hours of use which many have been experiencing.

Is this a historical issue across all of their ranges?

I have to say I put over 1,000 hours on my HD100 and aside from the normal reduction in brightness that you would expect from a bulb, I never had any problems.

I've now put nearly 400 hours on my X3 and once again I haven't had any problems and the image is still quite bright.

My HD1 bulb was exactly the same, flickering from 900 hours and had to turn on high lamp mode. Finally blew at 1800 hours

When I first put in the new bulb it was amazingly bright. After 200 hours it is back to what I had got used too

does the X3 have any known convergence "issues"?? I saw it demoed shortly about 1 year ago and was impressed by it blacklevel for being a digital (I am coming from CRT).

But I was disappointed by the lack of brightness in 3D mode and the amount of cross talk - so this new X30 sure is interesting to me. I recently saw the Optoma Hd87 demoed and was impressed by its sharpness and depth in 2D - only thing I did not like was black in night scenes.

The convergence on my X3 is excellent and I have certainly not had any problems with crosstalk, although as some people have pointed out it takes the X3 about 30 minutes to reach optimum performance for 3D. The brightness is also very good and that's after 300 hours. I'm looking forward to directly comparing the new X30 with my X3.

So can I watch 3d content in 2:35:1 format using the lens memory function on its own, or do I need the anamorphic lens as well?

Fab. I think I've found my new pj!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom