Avforum Newbie - Attic conversion to home cinema

Faszero

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am in the process of converting my home attic into 3 rooms where there is no natural light, one of which I would like to use as a cinema. The masonry gable wall has a smooth plaster finish which I hope to use as a screen, what is the best way to do this and also I would like to know what extra wiring (apart from the mains power ring which I have installed around the base of the walls and socket in the ceiling), lighting, etc., I should make provision for to future-proof before I completely board-in the stud walls and ceiling with 11mm OSBoard?

Attachments

• Attic cinema 2.jpg
    Attic cinema 2.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Attic cinema 1.jpg
    Attic cinema 1.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Attic cinema.jpg
    Attic cinema.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 139
Consider where the subs go, they will want their own power. Run speaker cables for atmos even if you are not doing it now. Where the amps etc go, add way more than you think you want or need. It’s not enough! Get a clean feed from your dizzy board to this ring, it will be a good clean supply.
if you are putting a fridge in this room, get it on a different loop from your amps 👍 best way to do this is a clean supply from your main board and then put a smaller board in this room. You can then run independent loops to split heavy load equipment up 😎
allow WIDE channels for hdmi cable etc to facilitate swapping them when they fail. Coz the will! If tbe6 don’t, we’ll done 👍
consider Alexa lighting if you want it. Build the light switches in now and they can be flush to the wall face instead of on top.
stuff like that 😎

allow WIDE channels for hdmi cable etc to facilitate swapping them when they fail. Coz the will! If tbe6 don’t, we’ll done 👍

Thanks for the reply, the attached photo shows the black conduit I have placed next to the power supply in the ceiling for the HDMI cable for the projector.
I haven't got a projector yet and was thinking of a 1080 model to show my SD DVD's and some 3D films. Are any of the older 3LCD models worth buying?

Attachments

• Attic cinema 3.jpg
    Attic cinema 3.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 118
What are the room dimensions (inc height)?

Also, is the building detached, and how far are you from neighbours?
And what rooms are underneath?

The length of the attic room from the solid end gable wall will be 5.2m to a rear stud wall, the width is 4.45m and is 2.3m high in the centre of the room, the side walls are 1.3m high before they slope up to the ceiling.
There are bedrooms below the wooden floor which has 200mm of insulation between the joists and also the attic ceiling.
The building is detached and is 15m from the nearest house.

Nice.

So do you need to make much effort to stop sound leaking to the bedrooms below (ie, will there be people in them when it's film time)?

And do you have a budget for the build?

Don't plan to use the cinema when people are asleep in the bedrooms below.
As I am doing most of the work myself it is only the cost of materials which I am spreading out over the winter.

Have you though about building a false wall at that far end and using an acoustic transparent screen, that way you could hide the speakers behind the screen?

Something like this..

Have you though about building a false wall at that far end and using an acoustic transparent screen, that way you could hide the speakers behind the screen?
I'd add that I too would recommend that, but in truth, everyone would (or at least should).

You can make a frame yourself for an acoustically transparent screen. Depending on budget, maybe get the material from Seymour in the US.

I'd add that I too would recommend that, but in truth, everyone would (or at least should).

You can make a frame yourself for an acoustically transparent screen. Depending on budget, maybe get the material from Seymour in the US.

Building your own screen would certainly be the best way to go 'edge to edge' in that space.

But if you don't fancy the hassle of stretching / fixing your own screen fabric you could just buy a ready made frame and hang it over the gap you left in the frame. You could then place three identical speakers behind it with the tweeters all aligned horizontally. Elite make some decent/cost conscious AT screens.

Have you thought about ventilation to the room? It'll get pretty stuffy in there if there are no windows etc from heat generated by the kit/people/summer. Also bear in mind any issues you may have with complying with building control, planning, home insurance etc e.g. means of escape in case of fire

Yes I have installed a whole house heat recovery/fresh air system with a separate vent into the cinema room. I will be installing linked fire alarms and there is a permanent fireproof concrete stairway up to the attic rooms.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom