AVF FIFA 11 - manual controls only league

WorldChampionsGoo

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Register your interest in this thread and we can see how many are interested. Will be a mini-league I expect to begin with to ensure we get some practice and can all play against each other.

Hope this becomes a permanent feature to give a different slant to the FIFA experience and to finally shut Pughy up!!!

Come on then chaps, get your names down. Will need some advice on how to set up the games to be all manual but apart from that lets rock!!

OzTheCoz
DrPhil - Bergamo
Pu6hy - Cardiff
Abbeygoo - Burnley
Yapper - Blackpool
Gunhawk - Watford

Last edited:
I haven't played in WINCE or the cup competitions because I'm now in the middle of an extremely busy period at work and will be up until next March at least. I'll see how it goes but don't really want to over commit myself because the OL is my priority.:thumbsup:

I haven't played in WINCE or the cup competitions because I'm now in the middle of an extremely busy period at work and will be up until next March at least. I'll see how it goes but don't really want to over commit myself because the OL is my priority.:thumbsup:

so does that mean you're in or out?

:D

Same here, would be interested, but can't commit til after Christmas. Might not even be in the OL or WINCE next time around for the same reasons. Going to Canada for 2 weeks from the 10th.

Go on then. You've twisted my arm.

To make it all manual, select invite a friend, press square to get into the settings and change to manual, ranked/unranked etc. and then select who you want to invite. Only diff to FIFA 10 is the pressing the square bit to change the options.

It's simple. Same when searching for random manual games. Don't choose Head to Head. Select custom instead. Press square then carry on as above. Might take a minute to find a game but I've never failed when looking for one.
Chucked that bit in incase anybody wants to look for friendlies as practice :thumbsup:

Doc - I'd imagine this will be over and done with by the 10th anyway. Won't be many interested anyway.
Wasn't it EngAskew who told me I'd be wrong in thinking nobody would sign up and he would deffo be up for it? He's disappeared from FIFA scene hasn't he??

I would be interested - will get hammered every game mind - depends on the when and how many games etc as ive got GT5 to fettle with now lol

Cheers Oz and Pughy ...... we'll see how many we get and then decide on the format. For starters we will probably have a small number who play each other once or twice and then have a play off between the top two. Nothing more than that at this stage but will be interesting to see how many we get to sign up.

OzTheCoz
Abbeygoo
Pughy

I would be interested - will get hammered every game mind - depends on the when and how many games etc as ive got GT5 to fettle with now lol

Won't be many hammerings happening in here. Hopefully most games will be close affairs with nobody running off with silly scorelines.

Any clue on a start date?

If I sit out the OL this season I could play this instead.

Will start this by the weekend ... just give it some time to see if anymore are interested

:thumbsup:

Well if it's short, starting by this weekend and presumably finished by the 10th of December, count me in provisionally. If you get loads of names and it ends up being longer I may reconsider but I suspect I'll be fine.

Well if it's short, starting by this weekend and presumably finished by the 10th of December, count me in provisionally. If you get loads of names and it ends up being longer I may reconsider but I suspect I'll be fine.

ok mate. Will be finished by the 10th of December.

PS, stick a link on the OL, WINCE and Blurays threads. I never check the PS3 clans page so apart from following the link from the OL to the assisted/manual debate and then the link from there to here, people might not know.

Quite a few of the BR players use manual as far as I know but don't play in the OL or WINCE so wouldn't hear about this competition.

Had some friendlies with Goo last night. Told you I wasn't that good :D

I love Manual but couldn't hit a barn door!! That one save your keeper made at end of 2nd game was class though. It just looked good to watch so I let the replay go.
Match stats in 2nd game were pretty much identical (I took photo but didn't for first but that was close too iirc). I shaded possesion but both had 10 shots with 3 on target. Some of your chances were a lot more clear cut than mine though so shooting does take some getting used too.
If that's one of your first attempts at Manual, I was very impressed. Of course you messed things up (so did I but it's expected so I don't cry if I give the ball away like I imagine some would) but overall, your passing was very good and you probably should have won both the games we played tbh.

Enjoyed the games. I haven't played much FIFA lately but those games re-affirmed that PES rental will be going back sharpish so thanks for that :thumbsup:

Low scoring (well no scoring actually) affairs but that will soon change the more people play and we will soon end up with realistic score lines.

Cheers Goo :smashin:

Yeah cheers Pughy, two good games. It was very difficult to get used to and a massive, massive change from playing the game normally with the assisted controls.

The best way I can explain it is to relate to Tiger Woods golf. On "full assisted" the AI chooses your club, points you in the right direction and all you have to do is get the power right .... even then you can by way off and still hit a good shot. On putting, the green is mapped out for you and you have assistance in hitting the middle of the cup ...... and as a result, you can get birdie after birdie.

On the hardest setting, you have NO assistance whatsoever, the wind is blowing, the greens are a nightmare to read and you end up hitting bogey, doubles, triples etc making the game a little bit frustrating to say the least.

That's how I felt last night playing on full manual. I found it very difficult to pass to my own players but started to get used to it during the end of the first / start of the second. You realise how much the AI does for you on full assisted and how hard this game can be when you don't have any of that help.

It was frustrating and the fact that two full games (and extra time) ended 0-0 probably shows how hard it is to get to grips with full manual on FIFA. Take my hat off to Ultima for playing full manual all the time ...... what a guy!

Played Geo straight after in the WINCE semi finals and christ, they left me with a headache. The ball zips about from player to player to player and then shots fly in on target from all over the place. There is such a massive difference.

In summary, full manual is difficult and frustrating. I bet it is really rewarding when you score a quality goal but I have yet to experience that feeling!! It seems this mode is suited to those who have the time to play a lot and like the challenge of having no assistance whatsoever from the AI .... just like Tiger Woods on the hardest setting.

I need to find the right balance though as I hated Tiger when it was too difficult and quickly went back to having all assistance turned on ...... don't really want to do that with FIFA as my 5 year old can bang goals in for fun with assisted so it really needs to strike the right balance as I move forward.

Cheers Pughy .... looking forward to some more games once the league starts very soon.

Yeah cheers Pughy, two good games. It was very difficult to get used to and a massive, massive change from playing the game normally with the assisted controls.

The best way I can explain it is to relate to Tiger Woods golf. On "full assisted" the AI chooses your club, points you in the right direction and all you have to do is get the power right .... even then you can by way off and still hit a good shot. On putting, the green is mapped out for you and you have assistance in hitting the middle of the cup ...... and as a result, you can get birdie after birdie.

On the hardest setting, you have NO assistance whatsoever, the wind is blowing, the greens are a nightmare to read and you end up hitting bogey, doubles, triples etc making the game a little bit frustrating to say the least.

That's how I felt last night playing on full manual. I found it very difficult to pass to my own players but started to get used to it during the end of the first / start of the second. You realise how much the AI does for you on full assisted and how hard this game can be when you don't have any of that help.

It was frustrating and the fact that two full games (and extra time) ended 0-0 probably shows how hard it is to get to grips with full manual on FIFA. Take my hat off to Ultima for playing full manual all the time ...... what a guy!

Played Geo straight after in the WINCE semi finals and christ, they left me with a headache. The ball zips about from player to player to player and then shots fly in on target from all over the place. There is such a massive difference.

In summary, full manual is difficult and frustrating. I bet it is really rewarding when you score a quality goal but I have yet to experience that feeling!! It seems this mode is suited to those who have the time to play a lot and like the challenge of having no assistance whatsoever from the AI .... just like Tiger Woods on the hardest setting.

I need to find the right balance though as I hated Tiger when it was too difficult and quickly went back to having all assistance turned on ...... don't really want to do that with FIFA as my 5 year old can bang goals in for fun with assisted so it really needs to strike the right balance as I move forward.

Cheers Pughy .... looking forward to some more games once the league starts very soon.

Arcade rubbish! ;)

As you said yourself, you started getting used to it after 1 and a half games. It will frustrate. Real footy does too.

You see, I have had Tiger Woods recently and I had a few games with a guy from work. I filmed one hole and played one handed. All I did was just flick the stick back without even thinking. I got a Par!!! What is the point of that?

My mate in work plays the game often. He was inviting me to games so I was just accepting. I beat him on my first night of playing it. Drew one game with him over the next few nights but won all the rest. It was boring as hell!!!

I invited him to a game and turned all the help off. He 9 putted the first hole :rotfl:
I bogeyed it which I was happy with.

TW is another game that needs having all the assist and stupid boosts turned off imo otherwise it takes no skill at all so an absolute pointless exercise and waste of an evening in my eyes. It will frustrate like mad at times but so what? Eventually, I'll improve.

Games are supposed to be a bit of fun. Admit that but I need to have a little bit of a challenge otherwise it's pointless playing them.

I hate all the stupid red dots on the screen in COD so as soon as Hardcore is unlocked, I only play in those games.

Fight Night - I have to have use the sticks to punch to replicate the type of punch you are throwing. Using the face buttons is just button mashing again. Most people on that just used to come in and body spam! Who fights like that for an tire bout?! I jab and move and vary it up trying to be realistic.

Need a bit of realism/believability in what I'm seeing in front of me otherwise I personally don't see the point.

All I'm seeing in most games I play are people beating the game by using help or cheap tactics. They aren't out smarting their opponent. It's getting very tedious. At least there are decent opponents to be found out there but they are in a minority.

If the games are harder, I just keep at them. Doesn't mean I'm any good at them though but at least I feel I'm contributing to what's going on on the screen more.

Last edited:
I'm going to sit this one out......how work is at the moment I probably won't get on the ps3 for the next couple of weeks.....disappointing to say the least. I'll pop back in here when I'm back playing to see if I can join then.

Hope this takes off as although the game is frustrating as hell, it's so rewarding when attacks come off......and the games are usually pretty tight which makes them interesting for the full 90 minutes.

Will start this tomorrow night then ...... see if anyone else pops up before then

took the plunge at got FIFA last night.

only got to play a couple of games, didnt go all manual, but changed to mostly semi-assisted and still found it hard as hell.

going to gradually try manual. - when you guys say manual do you mean everything on manual :eek:

gonna play a bit more before i do or dont commit to any leagues.

time isnt at a premium like it used to be for me.

might be looking a few friendlies so fire me a friends request anyone who isnt already.

We most certainly do fella :D
Even if you're absolutely shocking to start with, don't let it get to you.

Practice makes... certainly not perfect :laugh: ... but better.

Like I've said before, just because I use it and go on about, it doesn't mean I'm any good with it. Ask Goo! Given reasons why I prefer it though.

I'm up for some friendlies tonight as need to get back into FIFA myself.

took the plunge at got FIFA last night.

only got to play a couple of games, didnt go all manual, but changed to mostly semi-assisted and still found it hard as hell.

going to gradually try manual. - when you guys say manual do you mean everything on manual :eek:

gonna play a bit more before i do or dont commit to any leagues.

time isnt at a premium like it used to be for me.

might be looking a few friendlies so fire me a friends request anyone who isnt already.

i will just bleed myself into it gradually.

not sure if i will get on tonight, going out for dinner for my ma's 70th.

fire me a friends request, i will get to it sometime.

I'm actually really tempted to stick my name down for this ! Tempted to see how i do playing all manual aka the PUGHY way, lol. Decision's, decision's, decision's :confused:

If this is starting tonight, what's the plan then?

You might get one or two more if it's higher star teams. Only thing about that is I played a random pingponger last night and swapped config 2nd half as he was that bad I couldn't take anymore (and yes Pro Passing was on), he didn't score but there were a lot of occasions during the game that had very fast unrealistic passing. After my change, I just peed about playing the ball around the back to annoy him.

He wanted a rematch. I'm not sure why but I replayed him. I started off and I was playing some great footy and then thought what's going on, I'm still on assisted :facepalm:
I paused to change and I wasn't, I was on Manual! I was well impressed with my passing :D Probably a one off though. That's when my disconnect happened which I mentioned in OL thread :(

Point I'm making is manual passing is so much easier with higher star teams. At least it seemed that way. Personally, I think we should go in the middle to strike a balance for everyone as 1 star might put some people off. What do you think?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom