AVF Exclusive - Heir Audio 5.0 IEM announced

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by FredBare, Feb 21, 2013.

1. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The Wizard told me of the new Heir Audio 5.0 IEM

said I could exclusively announce it on AVForums ahead of Head-fi... :thumbsup:

the Heir 5.0 has five Balance Armatures (a first it is believed in a IEM)... it will be available to order from next week from Heir-UK (see other thread for update)... it has a black shell and a pretty stunning real wood veneer faceplate

photo link

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/7479/img1855u.jpg

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Emotion overload

Will be very interested to know of the intended sound signature. Heir's description of their own IEM have tended to be reflective of the reality (at least to my ears anyway)

My head tells me not to touch the iPad and Dac savings fund though :rolleyes:

3. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    in the same boat kinda... waiting on a refund from FiiO for the buzzing/faulty E12 I was going to invest in the C5 amp... now this news comes along.

On a side note, I'd like to thank Stephen & Fortis for looking after my 3.Ai's, they arrived back home today looking as good as new.

Stephen... Sony F-Series?... alternative like.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    in answer to a question... there will be 'no' CIEM version of the Heir 5.0... the 5.0 is a stand alone IEM like the Tzars.

that's about all I know.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Many 4.Ai owners say a bit more bass extension and quantity, eek a bit more out of the upper mids... would be a nigh on perfect universal IEM. Saying that you would expect more to justify people opening their wallets. My personal suspicion is this will aim for neutrality and balance across the sound spectrum but lifted to another level compared to the 4.Ai.

Good news about Heir setting up in UK. Still expect usual UK premium but hey ho at least closer to the customer now

6. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Apparently the Heir 5.0 are not an upgrade of the 4.Ai but are entirely different… they are more comparable to their ‘flagship' 8.A CIEM which really perks my interest… sound is meant to be warm, detailed but without any sibilance.

There are no prices that I've heard of yet but based on Heirs Custom to IEM pricing one would assume that they will be around the $800 (£520) mark (this is pure conjecture based on basic 8.A cost of $1200 minus 20%) which brings them into direct competition of the Sennheiser IE800 (£600) albeit £80 cheaper…. things are heating up in the in the IEM sector with two or three looking positively over-priced at the top end with the release of the IE800 & 5.0… interesting times indeedy.

I suppose I should look at this realistically… I have two excellent pair of IEM's especially in the 4.Ai… will the sound floor me by spending more than £600 on a IEM?... more importantly will they be a ‘significant' upgrade on my 4.Ai's if it's just a nominal difference I guess I won't have to list my British-Blue puss-cat on Ebay to raise dosh.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  7. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Which is very close to some custom IEMs.... Too close for comfort if you ask me....

8. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    It is close in price to customs but from my experience, although limited to one pair of customs, they don't always sound better than universals.
    Will be keeping an eye on these new ones from Heir Audio, been very impressed so far with the 4.Ai's.

9. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I can agree & disagree... Customs are a no go for me as it would cause too many insertion problems... I've wanted CIEM's for over a year as I know the benefits over IEM's (that and you have input over design) but alas it's not to be.

I could have bought a hi-end IEM that cost over £1k but decided to buy both the A.i's instead because they had CIEM cousins, the reviews were good on them & they we're pitched against some of the top-tier IEM's to boot.

The nearest thing I can get to a CIEM is a top-tier IEM but I'm not so sure I want to pay £1k plus for an IEM which would be inferior to a similarly price CIEM.

Think £800 is the max I'd pay for a IEM… after that I can see serious diminishing returns for your buck SQ wise… in fact I'd have serious thoughts about upgrading my 4.Ai's, the Heir 5.0's would have to be good to justify snatching my wedge if they're priced around the $800 mark, then you've got ship & customs on top.

I may ask The-Wizard for a discount being a loyal customer and all that… worth a punt I reckon.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    We have had a new generation of high end universal IEM from AKG, Sennheiser, Tralucent Audio and FitEar and the market is big enough for both target audiences. It is a personal decision. Not that it is my expectation for the Heir 5.0 to cost more than the IE800 ceiling but you never know

11. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I have quite a sharp bend in my ear canal which makes pretty much all universals eek balance towards my right ear.

Ciems fix that issue for me hence why I agree that it is all a very personal choice.

Bought myself a new watch as per the other thread, but I was on the brink of buying the new UE personal reference monitors.... requiring a flight to the USA to get them fitted and tuned.... was in need of a holiday anyway :)

12. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Bob... funny enough I said to Fortis last year it of been cheaper to jump on a plane to Florida to get his JH16's made with the amount of refits he had... all sorted now I believe.

Back to Heir 5.0 IEM's... the price is $599 (£395), which is a lot cheaper than I expected and look a bit of a bargain... The Wizard published the price but in a private email he said Heir Audio would be doing something special for UK customers when their UK set-up opens towards the end of next week... if anyone is thinking of ordering a Heir product I'd suggest hanging fire for a few days.

£400... hmmm it's doable without selling my cat, that and I love those black veneers, so tempting for my wallet. :devil:

13. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    If that is the final price then I will be buying a pair to try them out, very good price.

14. Janomin

Janomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Was waiting for the unique melody site to come live but had been pretty disappointed by their opening deals. Think I'll be waiting now for heirs.

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Funny you mention that as my left ear achieves a perfect seal every time like second nature but my right ear is more fiddly. *Think* it is slightly smaller and tips "slide" out slightly. Requires more patience with placement and Comply re-expansion

Do not recall this happening years ago so may have changed shape with age :p

16. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    It was this fiddling and constant bad seal that pushed me into the world of customs after having tried countless universals.

My left ear is the dodgy one with my right ear getting a perfect seal without issue in one attempt with no fiddling.

If you ever go custom, looking at your ear impressions is quite interesting as you realise how unique your ears are and what iem designers have to play with and are compromised by in making a universal.

17. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Due to purchase of Comply TS series tips the "fat" shape has made the different right ear noticeable. With none-TS Comply both ears are fine. Probably need to go back to traditional Comply shapes or import small size Comply TS specifically for the right ear :p (UK market only has medium size TS due to Comply's wisdom)

Of note are the early reports indicating another elevation of detail and sound to the 4.Ai. A good test track is the introduction to Dr Dre Big Ego's. On lesser IEM the radio voice sound like the main vocal layer and of course the helicopter is a quick soundstage check. The 4.Ai passes.

The nagging voice reminding me of the necessity for a source upgrade to fully extract performance from my IEM collection before adding to it is keeping my wallet closed to this thread - just need to keep listen to it :D

18. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I'm on the verge of ordering these but have a wee nagging doubt about the set up of the 5 drivers. From what I've read over at headfi they will have 2x mids, 2x highs and 1x bass. My worry is that could these end up being only slightly different from the 4.ai. For example could they end up being a bit sibilant or lacking in bass response?

Will probably order as my curiosity will get the better of me! If I order tomorrow it looks like I may get them end of next week hopefully.

19. Janomin

Janomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I was also going to order them tonight however i have just been advised the pricing will be $599 (for some reason i thought they were $499) which was meant a bit of a rethink, shame really. Really don't know what to do, 4.ai or these.

20. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've asked for a 5.0+ price... I need my head tested.

21. Janomin

Janomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Ordered mine last night ;)

22. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    The exchange rate has to improve... by the next Parliament hopefully :rotfl:

23. Janomin

Janomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Would just like to add - the whole ordering process, and Frank at Heir Audio UK in general, has been absolutely superb. If anyone has even thought of looking into their headphones I would heartily recommend dropping Frank an email and having a chat.

Hopefully I won't be waiting too long till I have my 5.0's, now I just need to sort out getting something decent to use them with!

24. FredBare

FredBare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I put a link to some hi-end players in the thread-link below... I own the Sony Z1070 64gb (Japan import), it's a great player and up there with the best now it plays Flac (I use Atrac-lossless)... there's a few downsides, it's memory is limited to about 58gb, it's Andriod so is touch-screen so no physical buttons... there's a smaller version in the F-Series but you won't get a HDMI-out with that, the S-Master amp is masterclass imo, though stay way from Euro models because of volume-cap... if you need any advice on importing one without customs pm me. Cost for 32gb is about £230 delivered £300+ for 64gb (both models).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/port...b-hosting-so-i-can-use-usb-dac-dragonfly.html

25. Janomin

Janomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    At the moment I'm eyeing up the Ibasso DX100, but still have some niggling doubts.

26. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The DX100 is an excellent player, some little niggles with UI and battery life is a bit short at around 8 hours but the sound more than makes up for the niggles.

I've owned various iPod classic/portable amplifier combos and players from Cowon and Sony and the ibasso surpasses them for sound quality.

27. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I was about to pull the trigger on the 5.0 but going to wait a few weeks. Seems delivery might be 3 weeks but also want to read what folks think first, would need to be quite a step up from the 4.ai for me to buy.

28. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Why you selling your 4.ai's mate if you mind me asking?

29. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Initially I put them on to fund the 5.0 but doesn't seem to be any interest!

30. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Times are hard for a lot of folk..... High end IEMs for £250 normally come 2nd or 3rd after food or rent :)